Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need confirmation on specific name of part

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need confirmation on specific name of part

Okay so I was in the middle of changing my exhaust manifold from my old rusty OEM manifold to a new aftermarket one. After I finally get off all the nuts from the studs that are in the block it was time to remove the 4 nuts that are connecting the bottom peice of the manifold to the part between the O2 housng and the turbo (IDK exactly whats its called). I had to use a breaker bar and as I was trying to loosen the first nut it felt a bit strange but I just kept turning until it snapped and as I try to loosen the others I get the same result so I'm left with all 4 rusty studs broken in half and stuck inside of the part between the O2 housing and the turbo. Now before I get abunch of "you should have done this" or "you should have done that" I KNOW! I know it was not smart to continue to try and remove the studs without trying other methods to free them, I was in a rush and I know it was stupid but it was a learning experience for me and my EVO. But anyway so after thinking and trying a few different methods of trying to extract the rusty studs with no results but frstration I had to make a decision.

So it seemed my only option was to try and completely drill out new holes and use bolts and lock nuts to connect the bottom of the new manifold to the part between the O2 housing and the turbo instead of threaded studs. It got very ugly after this decision was made and this picture was taken halfway through the process. I plan on replacing the part I had to drill into for one that is stainless steel and will not rust which is why I made this thread because I have been looking for one but it is hard when I don't know exactly what it's called. Any help?
Attached Thumbnails Need confirmation on specific name of part-imagejpeg_2.jpg  

Last edited by AustinB768; Jul 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:10 PM

thats the turbine housing
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:11 PM

What model evo is this? Is the turbo system aftermarket? As far as i know the o2 housing bolts directly to the turbo on one side and downpipe on the other.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:17 PM

you are right... a turbo is made up of two parts though. one side is the turbine housing which bolts to the exhaust manifold and the other side is the compressor housing which actually compresses the air going into the motor
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:31 PM

Or are you talking about pre turbo? The o2 housing is after the turbo.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It goes:

Intake
Compressor Housing
Turbine Housing
o2 Housing
Downpipe
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can find 10.5cm turbine housings for sale in the EvoM marketplace all the time. You can use bolts and nuts, but I would suggest just replacing the turbine housing(the part you stripped out).

Edit - I HIGHLY recommend using a penetrating lubricant like PB Blast prior to removing any studs or bolts for the first time.

Last edited by GotWheelHop; Jul 17, 2012 at 12:18 AM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:27 AM

Its an EVO 9 RS and its the OEM turbo setup

Originally Posted by armeddoc
What model evo is this? Is the turbo system aftermarket? As far as i know the o2 housing bolts directly to the turbo on one side and downpipe on the other.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:30 AM

Would that fit just like the OEM one?

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
You can find 10.5cm turbine housings for sale in the EvoM marketplace all the time. You can use bolts and nuts, but I would suggest just replacing the turbine housing(the part you stripped out).

Edit - I HIGHLY recommend using a penetrating lubricant like PB Blast prior to removing any studs or bolts for the first time.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
dont waste the time and money on purchasing anything. if you have a good machine shop around your area, just complete taking the turbo out even if you break more bolts. it would be cheaper paying a machine to take out the broken studs and replacing new ones. just my 2cents
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AustinB768
Would that fit just like the OEM one?
It should fit like OEM since it is OEM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:15 PM

But I want one that won't rust, and if that means getting an aftermarket one then that is what I'll do. Do they make turbine housings that will fit the OEM turbo set up?

Originally Posted by GotWheelHop
It should fit like OEM since it is OEM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 07:19 PM

I'm going to have to replace it completely because the holes I drilled to get the old studs out arent perfectly aligned with the holes that the studs were in. Plus I want to get the old rusty turbine housing out of there anyway

Originally Posted by lostsoulsevo
dont waste the time and money on purchasing anything. if you have a good machine shop around your area, just complete taking the turbo out even if you break more bolts. it would be cheaper paying a machine to take out the broken studs and replacing new ones. just my 2cents
Old Jul 17, 2012, 10:10 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AustinB768
But I want one that won't rust, and if that means getting an aftermarket one then that is what I'll do. Do they make turbine housings that will fit the OEM turbo set up?

The replacement turbine housings you will find are also cast metal. You have to get it coated if you don't want it to rust. If you don't coat it, it WILL rust. Stick to an OEM housing, they are cheap and are cast correctly.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 11:01 PM
Evolved Member

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...ted-175-a.html

Quick Reply: Need confirmation on specific name of part