Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

evo ix interior fuse 1 blows instantly

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo ix interior fuse 1 blows instantly

Ok here goes I have a 2006 evo did a clutch and a catback exhaust in the same day finished up started the car pulled it out side left it running while i put some tools away. When i came back out 10 minutes later car was off and would not start just crank. i found interior fuse #1 10A is blown i tried replacing it as soon as i turn the key i see the fuse blow.I checked the rear 02 sensor (not rubbing anywere) and even disconnected it same thing also disconnected both cam sensors and crank sensor fuse still blows. Only other thing was about 3 weeks ago starter was rebuilt and car was pop started a few times. I'm pretty sure i have a short to ground, was just wondering if someone had a similar issue or a area to start tracing. any help appreciated thanks!
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Did you just put on a COP system?
Old Jul 20, 2012, 03:40 PM

nope its all stock.
dont think it matters but i pulled plugs they are wet with raw fuel so i am getting no spark
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:12 PM

i think fuse 1 is the ecm fuse not sure if this helps
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:39 PM
Evolving Member

Fuse 1 is related to the ignition and normally only has issues when a cop is installed.
Old Jul 20, 2012, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

Look at the ground under your exhaust cam sensor,.does it looked burnt, if so you're going to have to cut the harness back till you find good wire. I've had to do this twice, that ground melts and shorts against every wire around it
Old Jul 21, 2012, 05:41 AM

The ground is good would you happen to know were the ignition coil relay is wondering if that could be bad. Thanks I replaced the ground under the cam sensor
Old Jul 21, 2012, 04:38 PM
Evolving Member

Nope sorry but if you don't find your issue, just know that the ground goes all the way around to the passenger side coil so it's pretty long
Old Jul 21, 2012, 06:11 PM

It's the one that connects directly under the from can sensor has a 10 bolt putting it directly in the head. Just making sure we are talking about the same one. I went crazy today disconnecting everything and still having the same issue thanks for the help again it's greatly appreciated.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:34 AM
Evolving Member

Ya that's the one, it might not look burnt but it's so long and touches so many things it's hard to say whether that's your issue
Old Jul 22, 2012, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

But I know there is a way to check if that ground is ok, maybe ground continuity test?
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:35 AM

That what I'll be doing today let you know how it works out if not I'll just follow it and check
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:30 AM

Yeah. Get a multi meter and read from the side of the fuse that is grounded to ground. Then jiggle the wires around and watch your continuity. Some meters, like mine a fluke 787, have a audible beep you can turn on that will beep as long as you have a direct ground.
If you don't find it that way, start unplugging stuff.
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by armeddoc
Yeah. Get a multi meter and read from the side of the fuse that is grounded to ground. Then jiggle the wires around and watch your continuity. Some meters, like mine a fluke 787, have a audible beep you can turn on that will beep as long as you have a direct ground.
If you don't find it that way, start unplugging stuff.
Much agree that this is the way to do it but make sure battery is dicconnected when checking continuity to B-. As no power supply should be present when checking continuity. And wiggle the affilated harness as mentioned and check for any abrubt continuity changes/ open circuit to short... You may need a stock pile of fuses for when you start unpluging stuff and testing to see if the short is still present or not Good luck buddy, hope you find your issue. And as always please let us know what you find when you find the issue
Old Jul 25, 2012, 01:27 PM

Haven't had a chance to trace wires will be doing so in a hour something else that did just come to mind I removed the lower intake manifold bracket for easier removal at a later time does tht have a ground or something on it that I may have removed or something I know there was some type of evap sensor or something I just relocated.

Quick Reply: evo ix interior fuse 1 blows instantly