Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Clutch won't disengage :-(

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch won't disengage :-(

So my clutch was working 100% perfectly then I had an issue with my starter last monday, so I push started the car in reverse by rolling the car in reverse while in first gear and popped the clutch to start the car when it had gained some rolling speed.

Well after the push start my car has been having the worst issue with my clutch not disengaging!! I get locked out of very great and have to put all my weight into forcing it into a gear. And while I am in any gear I can press in the clutch pedal and me revs don't go down! Meaning the clutch doesn't disengage at all! And when I'm in first gear idling the car will lunge forward and stall!

This issue is bugging the **** out of me can anyone help me with solutions? I already tried adjusting by clutch pedal and that did nothing at all :-(

I also have an exedy twin plate in a 2006 Evo 9 gsr
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cky_bam_marg
So my clutch was working 100% perfectly then I had an issue with my starter last monday, so I push started the car in reverse by rolling the car in reverse while in first gear and popped the clutch to start the car when it had gained some rolling speed.

Well after the push start my car has been having the worst issue with my clutch not disengaging!! I get locked out of very great and have to put all my weight into forcing it into a gear. And while I am in any gear I can press in the clutch pedal and me revs don't go down! Meaning the clutch doesn't disengage at all! And when I'm in first gear idling the car will lunge forward and stall!

This issue is bugging the **** out of me can anyone help me with solutions? I already tried adjusting by clutch pedal and that did nothing at all :-(

I also have an exedy twin plate in a 2006 Evo 9 gsr
This doesnt sound very good. For future reference, if you have to push start and cannot push forward, pop the clutch in reverse if pushing backwards.

Can you go into gear smoothly with the car off not using your clutch?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 06:41 PM
Evolved Member

How many miles are on the Twin?

Grinding issues with the tranny?
Old Jul 29, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

I did pop it in reverse so that part I'm good on!!

And it had no grinding issues before this pop clutching insistent! It was a perfect acting clutch and it has about 30 - 35 thousand miles on my twin plate and it was launched 3 times when I first got it! I'm making 500hp and high 4xx torque! So I know in not over powering the clutch over what it can take! I daily drive to school and back 7 miles round trip a day for several years now!
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Is your clutch engagement low?

Seems like you'll be needing a clutch soon...
Old Jul 29, 2012, 08:33 PM
Evolving Member

I know when Evo clutches get low they get notchy as hell but my clutch went from perfect to not disengaging after a reverse pop started it! So I know the act of push started my car caused something to **** up my clutches ability to disengage!!! I just want to know what or at least where to start looking at??
Old Jul 29, 2012, 09:12 PM
Evolved Member

You said its hard to get into gear etc and that is signs of a worn pressure plate along with worn synchros.

You can check your shifter cables but i doubt thats the case... ill stick to what i said above^

Good luck
Old Jul 30, 2012, 01:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
have you checked your clutch fluid, master cylinder, and slave cylinder?

this happened to me on my Z and it was cause my slave cylinder was leaking and the fluid got so low that the system took in air. once air gets into the lines, pushing in the clutch no longer forces the piston in the slave cylinder fully out so your clutch no longer fully disengages.
Old Jul 30, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolved Member

What grey evo said but he would also lose clutch pedal pressure that's why I didn't mention this.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 06:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LGshow19
What grey evo said but he would also lose clutch pedal pressure that's why I didn't mention this.
Yes, some pedal pressure would be lost but not completely and maybe only slightly depending on the fluid level/ severity of the leak. And even if there's not a fluid issue I'll bet theres a good chance the slave cylinder was somehow damaged during the push start. So my advice stays the same: check fluid, slave cylinder, and master cylinder in that order. For the slave cylinder someone should push the clutch pedal in and out while someone else is under the car checking to see if its working right. There will probably be a rubber boot over the piston but the OP should be able to pull it back to get a look.
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:03 AM
Evolving Member

Ok fluid level is good no leaks anywhere! I just need a second person to help me out with the slave cylinder thing!
Old Jul 31, 2012, 11:06 AM
Evolving Member

After doing alot of reading a lot of twin plate and triple plate owners seem to have an issue where c-clip is being messed up by the clutch fork and causing them an issue that sounds a lot like mine! But they are all having this issue with in a few thousand miles after their installs! I've had my twin plate for 4 years and it has about 35k miles on it! And I've stalled my car plenty of times I don't understand how a push start could cause this much trouble out of no where?