Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Which Clutch should i go with - Build Specific.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Clutch should i go with - Build Specific.

Here is the issue, I went to buschur to get tuned on Thursday and when we hit 420HP at 20lbs the clutch decided to jump boat and start slipping. $410 wasted for 10 minutes on the dyno.

The clutch came with the car and was supposively installed by AWD Motorsports, i have never torn it out to double check but was told it was an Exedy Twin and only had 500 miles on it. I drove it 1200 miles (Freeway) not getting on it at all until the last 100 miles of my trip where if it broke down i could still get it home. It didnt really feel like it was slipping but it was really hard to tell. I lost 3 out of the 6 bolts to the bellhousing that attach to the motor on my trip. I replaced all bolts and tightened them to spec. 1st and reverse was a little rough to get into but wasnt really all that bad.

Now i'm stuck, i need a clutch but not sure which to go with to hold my build. If it turns out that i have an exedy twin in my car then i was deciding to go with the Triple Plate Conversion, any ideas on this?

If i dont have an exedy twin and something else instead then which clutch would you guys recommend that i buy to hold my build.

Also, any ideas on what power i would actually make with this build tuned on e85.

Here is my build:
2006 Evolution IX

Buschur Racing 2.4L Block
Manley Rods
JE Pistons
APR Headstuds
BR Ported Intake Manifold
BR Ported 65mm TB
AMS Head Gasket
Kelford 272 Cams
Cosworth TI Valvetrain
EVO Timing Belt
Exedy Twin Disc
AWD Motorsports NON ACD Built Transfer Case
AWD Motorsports Rebuilt 5-Speed Tranny
FPR Kit
Spoolinup COP Kit
BR Double Pumper
ETS 3.5" Cat Back Exhaust
ETS 4" Intercooler
ETS Upper and Lower Intercooler Piping
V Band 3" Downpipe
Tial Blowoff Valve
AWD Motorsports Exhaust Manifold w/ Tial 44mm Wastegate
PTE Ball Bearing 6262
4" Intake
Speed Density Kit
FIC 2150cc Injectors
Manual Boost Controller
Tein Springs
Carbon Fiber Trunk
Carbon Fiber Lip
Evo 9 MR Tails
Shorty Antenna w/ Vortex Generator
AEM Digital Wideband
AEM Digital -30 +50 Boost Gauge
AEM Digital 150 Oil Pressure Gauge
3 POD Pillar

Thanks guys!
Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:34 AM

Here's some pictures since i know how everyone loves pictures.

Last edited by ItzBoosted; Aug 11, 2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:08 PM

Bump, Looking to purchase clutch here very soon. Performing wiretuck after the DSM Shootout.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

If it was actually a twin l, there is no reason it should not have held. I have the quartermaster twin and I think its supose to be able to hold 900lb or so.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

I would verify if there's a twin in there and then just convert.

Pull the inspection cover. You'll know right away if it's a twin or not.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:16 PM

Theres not a lot of information out there of people who have done the triple conversion, i think thats the route i'm going to go.

Also, if i pull the inspection plate what should i look for? Will it be purple and say twin or will i be able to see the discs? Never had a twin before or looked inside of the inspection plate. Iv actually been out of the Evo world for like 5 years and just got back into it, sorry for my ignorance.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:23 PM
Evolving Member

Cover will be purple, And you see the intermediate plates there will be a large one and a smaller one if its a twin.

The conversion isn't bad just make sure you have flywheel all cleaned up and get the step height specs from exedy. Other then that it's a pretty straight forward deal.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 03:30 PM

Just because i didnt put the clutch in or the "resurfaced" flywheel i'll probably purchase a new flywheel. I will check this out in the morning when i get off work to verify if i have a twin or not, its been on my mind since i purchased the car. Thanks for the help Green.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im not of any help, but where did u get the e85 badge?
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

exedy twin + 6262 = bad combo

those clutches are meant for 500hp at the CRANK.if it was me,i wouldn't convert.your flywheel and plates are probably completely roasted and you'll put all that money in it and it will still drive like crap and make huge noise.

i have an exedy twin that was toast after a couple thousand miles on a similar sized turbo,i measured the discs and people here tell me they are still almost new.well it will hardly go into 1st or reverse and rattle incredibly loud.and i have it adjusted all the way out.there is no more adjustment.

i decided to scrap the entire thing and go to a QM 8-leg.they will hold way more power than the exedy.several EVO sharp guys told me not to convert.i'm glad i didn't.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by masonh
exedy twin + 6262 = bad combo

those clutches are meant for 500hp at the CRANK.if it was me,i wouldn't convert.your flywheel and plates are probably completely roasted and you'll put all that money in it and it will still drive like crap and make huge noise.

i have an exedy twin that was toast after a couple thousand miles on a similar sized turbo,i measured the discs and people here tell me they are still almost new.well it will hardly go into 1st or reverse and rattle incredibly loud.and i have it adjusted all the way out.there is no more adjustment.
+1

Had the same exact experience and switched it for a 6 Puck single disc.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:48 PM

Yes my clutch is extremely loud, rattles to all hell and in between shifts. I had complete lock out in first as well and fully adjusted completed out. Same exact issues as you. What did you pay for that clutch so i know what i'm getting myself into?

So far my car has put down 660hp to the wheels supposively with this clutch. I'm hoping to tap the 700hp mark now but with a better clutch.

Also, E85 badge was on ebay, guy has a bunch and defly look the coolest

Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E85-ETHANOL-...794056&vxp=mtr

Last edited by ItzBoosted; Aug 12, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:49 PM
Evolving Member

Had the same exact experience and switched it for a 6 Puck single disc.
way better option that exedy twin imo.seems like everyone wants a the twin,but why.that ACT 6 puck will hold way more than the exedy twin.easier to drive too.

i think i paid $1645 shipped for the QM 8-leg.look around and that seems to be the best price out there.and don't buy a used one with "only 300 miles" on it for a couple hundred less.

that ACT 6 puck would be good to about 700whp too.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
Evolving Member

i'm guessing on the ACT,but i know they are strong.i know some SRT-4 guys running them and they are putting down over 600whp.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by ItzBoosted
Yes my clutch is extremely loud, rattles to all hell and in between shifts. I had complete lock out in first as well and fully adjusted completed out. Same exact issues as you. What did you pay for that clutch so i know what i'm getting myself into?

So far my car has put down 660hp to the wheels supposively with this clutch. I'm hoping to tap the 700hp mark now but with a better clutch.

Also, E85 badge was on ebay, guy has a bunch and defly look the coolest

Here's the link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/E85-ETHANOL-...794056&vxp=mtr
way better option that exedy twin imo.seems like everyone wants a the twin,but why.that ACT 6 puck will hold way more than the exedy twin.easier to drive too.

i think i paid $1645 shipped for the QM 8-leg.look around and that seems to be the best price out there.and don't buy a used one with "only 300 miles" on it for a couple hundred less.

that ACT 6 puck would be good to about 700whp too.
i'm guessing on the ACT,but i know they are strong.i know some SRT-4 guys running them and they are putting down over 600whp.
Actually it's the new Comp HD 6 Puck Sprung. And yeah, exactly my thoughts.

I was locked out of first from a stand still, reverse was even worse. Extremely noisy, and had to be rebuild every year. When rebuilt it cost a metric ton of cash.

So I went back to the roots. Look back to the DSM days when everyone used 6 and 4 puck clutches. A quarter of the price to rebuild, last 4 times as long, easier to drive, and less noisey.

So that would be a win win win win to me .

Quick Reply: Which Clutch should i go with - Build Specific.