Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

greenish oil leaking from left front driver side axle

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
greenish oil leaking from left front driver side axle

update: it's transmission oil that's leaking, from either axle not pushed all the way in, damaged axle, or damaged axle seal on transmission, I'm in the process of replacing seal

Car is grounded until I get the leak fixed. It's probably the seal. I see the fluid exiting right where the axle goes into the transfer case (i assume it's the TC and not transmission)

Is the leaking fluid the transfer case oil or is it the transmission oil. I'm thinking it's the transfer case oil which uses .6 qt diaqueen lsd oil. But wanted to make sure

Last edited by yenny; Aug 18, 2012 at 08:19 AM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

It would help if you took a picture.

Last edited by rcheung; Aug 13, 2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yeah a picture would help. Diaqueen is clear when new and turns grayish as it gets older. Do you know what transmission fluid you run? Redline fluids are usually a pinkish color.

Dab some on your fingers and smell it.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 01:45 PM

presto! I tried to smell it but my nose couldn't discern. No i'm not sure what was run it, I'm not the original owner

Last edited by yenny; Aug 16, 2012 at 07:11 PM. Reason: picture was deleted, posted new one
Old Aug 13, 2012, 02:43 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i thought the LSD Diaqueen was blue/green.

i just recently pulled my motor/trans together and the Transfer was full of a blu/green liquid i assume was Diaqueen for LSD.

either way,there is a rubber seal in there that you probably need to replace.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:55 AM

Yea I'm guessing the seal is bad

Drivers side axle seal part # MD758763
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts
i have the EXACT same leak right now lol i figured out it was my tranny oil and my axel wasn't in properly..im fixing it as soon as i get time..
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
i have the EXACT same leak right now lol i figured out it was my tranny oil and my axel wasn't in properly..im fixing it as soon as i get time..
so it's the transmission oil not the transfer case oil?
Old Aug 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by yenny
so it's the transmission oil not the transfer case oil?
for me it was the tranny oil, coming out of the exact same spot. pinkish and i use redline MT-90W i confirmed it..
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by EvoVIIIxoxo
for me it was the tranny oil, coming out of the exact same spot. pinkish and i use redline MT-90W i confirmed it..
Thanks. I confirmed that mine's the transmission too. I have a shep TC and trans running 500whp daily driver, so shep recommends for transmission (2 bottles redline mt90 mixed with 1 bottle lightweight shockproof) and for TC (OEM diaqueen). Turns out the shockproof has a blue/turquoise color which is what I'm seeing. Diaqueen is amber in color. driver side front axle goes through the transmission before going into the TC
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks. I confirmed that mine's the transmission too. I have a shep TC and trans running 500whp daily driver, so shep recommends for transmission (2 bottles redline mt90 mixed with 1 bottle lightweight shockproof) and for TC (OEM diaqueen). Turns out the shockproof has a blue/turquoise color which is what I'm seeing. Diaqueen is amber in color. driver side front axle goes through the transmission before going into the TC
so did you find out if it was your seal? or was it the axel installed improperly? im just curious since im not 100% about mine yet..
Old Aug 14, 2012, 01:35 PM

no I havent taken it apart yet. Car's been running fine for some time, so I 'm guessing it's the seal. I probably wont have time to look at it for a couple weeks. I have another DD to use in the meantime
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Those axles seals can be tricky! I recently did mine like 2 weeks ago and it's solid. Pm me if you need help with anything.

And yeah your right. It does have a hint of amber in it. My bad.
Old Aug 14, 2012, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by hiboost2.0
Those axles seals can be tricky! I recently did mine like 2 weeks ago and it's solid. Pm me if you need help with anything.

And yeah your right. It does have a hint of amber in it. My bad.
cool, thanks. I read in some older threads about maybe leaving like 1mm of it out and add grease to the axle when inserting. I'll have to go back and re-read them when i tackle the project
Old Aug 16, 2012, 07:25 PM

With the axle removed, there shouldn't be any transmission oil dripping out like the picture below right? (edit: wrong, with axle removed fluid will drip, axle creates a seal with the rubber seal to prevent fluid leak). I'm trying to determine if leak is due to bad seal or the axle wasn't pushed in all the way. If it's not supposed to leak even with the axle out, then I know for sure it's a bad seal.(edit: my axle may have slipped out, but I'm going to go ahead and replace seal any way)

So far I only removed the axle (cotter pin was a pain to remove and came out in sections), havent replaced anything yet and took the pic below. How do I get the old seal out?(edit: see post #17) Do I need a slide hammer to remove the output shaft in the pic (edit: yes need slide hammer BUT no need to remove to replace seal, i.e. DO NOT REMOVE OUTPUT SHAFT)

Also how do I push the axle back on all the way, any tips. I tried to push the axle back on today after removing to test fit, but couldnt really get it on beyond 1/2". Do I hammer the other end of axle? - or will this damage it (edit: push hard with hand pressure at end closest to transmission, someone had said can put axle in and through hub, with it all lined up can use axle itself like slide hammer to push in OR gently tap hub end with rubber mallet, do this carefully at your own risk. The guy said he hasn't had an axle fail doing this, but you never know)

(I read past threads and some of the tips (I'll list here to help others too) were to put some rtv on the outer diameter of seal, don't push seal all the way in leaving 1/8" or so out, should only go to first lip, 1000 grit or emory sand the axle smooth and no sharp cutting edges, grease the axle, use socket size of outer diameter of seal and rubber mallet it in evenly and gently without it getting crunched, make sure axle is pushed all the way in, driver and passenger side seals are different part #'s, driver goes to tranny and passenger goes to TC, someone had suggested replacing the cir-clip around the output shaft - I'm not sure if the clip is sold on it's own)

Last edited by yenny; Aug 18, 2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: added answers I found later

Quick Reply: greenish oil leaking from left front driver side axle