Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Need Help!!! Trying to release TOB and wedge collar is stuck!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help!!! Trying to release TOB and wedge collar is stuck!

So I am finally getting around to replacing my block. I am currently trying to disconnect my tranny and am at the step in which I need to release the TOB from the clutch. I used the screwdriver/prybar teqnique and it seemed like it seperated, but i didnt see any tell tale sign for sure that it had been disconnected. I even tried re-engaging the TOB but the clutch fork is stuck and will only move about 1/4" and stop. Any suggestions ideas??

Here is a picture of what it looks like now.

http://imgur.com/qTasa
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:53 AM

Bump
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

have a helper rotate the crankshaft from the pulley while you "walk" around the collar to release it fully. you may also need to grab the fork & pull it away from the pressure plate while doing this.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Unbolt the pressure plate homie.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i just did a clutch install the other day, i ran into the same problem...all i did was use a wider flat head and had a friend compress the clutch fork while i twisted the flat head....took a couple tries but eventually worked. make sure the flat head is between the collar and TOB and when you twist it 90 deg pry it while your friend holds the clutch fork towards the driver side, make sure he keeps tension!!! you will he it "pop" off
Old Aug 30, 2012, 01:18 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lowevo8
So I am finally getting around to replacing my block. I am currently trying to disconnect my tranny and am at the step in which I need to release the TOB from the clutch. I used the screwdriver/prybar teqnique and it seemed like it seperated, but i didnt see any tell tale sign for sure that it had been disconnected. I even tried re-engaging the TOB but the clutch fork is stuck and will only move about 1/4" and stop. Any suggestions ideas??

Here is a picture of what it looks like now.

http://imgur.com/qTasa

sorry i just read the rest of this, sounds like you have a gap between the block and tranny....make sure the tranny is completely flush on the block before you take off the wedge collar if not the clutch fork wont move.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

If all else fails, inlarge the access hole and unbolt pressure plate from flywheel. It sucks. Had to do it on last clutch job.
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Use the biggest flathead you have that will help you out
Old Aug 30, 2012, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same trouble. You will use more force that you think and it will pop. Having someone rotate the crank as was mentioned is a good trick, but you need a nice wide screwdriver and a really twist it with two hands. It took more force than I was expecting.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:09 AM

Thanks for the responses guys..i bought a bigger, wider, stronger flathead and it still didnt budge...so i used a pry bar and it still didnt move. So today i will turn the crank a i try to wedge it apart, if no luck then i will do the obvious and unbolt the pressure plate. Is there anything else needed to unbolt aside from this to disconnect the tranny? Will keep you guys updated...again thanks for the responses, very helpful.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Blue91lx
Unbolt the pressure plate homie.

The best way to do it honestly, and it's hardly anymore work.

Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:51 PM

Okay...walking the crank around method worked like a charm and the TOB popped right off after prying off the other side of the wedge clip. BUT...now i cannot seperate the tranny for the life of me, everything has been unbolted, it is just one spot right near the front underneath, it seems like it is fused together...maybe i am not trying to slide it off at the right angle, not sure. Any input would help tremendously. Here are a few pics of where its at and the seperation of the tranny atm.

Need Help!!! Trying to release TOB and wedge collar is stuck!-gyhfm.jpg

Need Help!!! Trying to release TOB and wedge collar is stuck!-bdlbt.jpg
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You're wasting time trying to figure it out, seriously save yourself the headache and just unbolt the flywheel through the slave cylinder opening.
Old Sep 1, 2012, 11:38 PM
Evolved Member

a pry bar will be your best friend!!! just make sure all of your bolts are off, i have the habit of putting bolts back so i dont lose them!! be aware the back of the transmission could get stuck on the subframe. f***KN B***ch
Old Sep 2, 2012, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
+ 1 on the pry bar. Just make sure everything is disconnected. Most likely your a getting stuck up on the dowel pins. There is one on both sides of the tranny

Quick Reply: Need Help!!! Trying to release TOB and wedge collar is stuck!