Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Low speed whistling noise?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2012, 07:56 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Low speed whistling noise?

It was raining pretty heavily a week ago and I had to drive through some water to get to work. Ever since then, I've been having the hardest time chasing down this noise from the front-left side of my car.

I've played with the windows enough to isolate it to the front-left area being the loudest, and it seems to be most apparent when driving against a wall. But the noise seems to be an intermittent whistle, almost like a bird chirp, or the sound you get when your rotor is warped and there's a high spot making contact with the pad.

So far I've ensured a few things:
  1. The rotors are not warped
  2. There is nothing underneath the disc pad/the shields are not making contact with the wheels
  3. The tires have no defects/shapes/etc.
  4. The front wheel bearing (in the opinion of an independent mechanic) doesn't exhibit the symptoms of failure as the noise tends to go away after 50-60mph, and it doesn't have the same loud groan
  5. The clutch/transmission assemblies are unrelated because the noise isn't affected by neutral/gear, clutch in/out, engine on/off
I've pushed the car down the road to no avail, it doesn't really start making noise until about 10mph. I have an appointment to get the car thrown up on a lift on Saturday, but I was hoping someone would have an idea or two to throw out.. Or at least give me a good idea where to look while underneath!
Old Jul 17, 2015, 08:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey sorrry to raise this from the grave but did you ever figure this out? My '05 does exactly what you describe.. Most apparently when driving next to a high curb or a wall. I thought maybe the brakes were dragging but there are no other symptoms to indicate that...

The noise is like a whistle/light grinding noise..