Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.3 stroker build parts suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2012, 08:49 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hears a 100mm crank made by nitto in Australia, although be prepared to be let down by the price.

bad *** looking crank there.

you'll be happy with the Manley,and it's a lot stronger than the OEM 100mm.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Page one parts list updated! So will those Ferrea valves last a while or will they need replaced every so often?

Last edited by Alchem1st; Sep 29, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Modern Auto Performance uses the OEM 100mm cranks on all of there 2.3 motors. I'm installing my second MAP into a evo8 now. I have talked to them about this. They assure me there is no issues. I went with OEM crank, Manley Turbo tuff I beams with Wisco HD pistons.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Alchem1st
Page one parts list updated! So will those Ferrea valves last a while or will they need replaced every so often?
Nothing wrong with the ferrea valves plenty of people run them with good results. I would put those in my build.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by masonh
bad *** looking crank there.

you'll be happy with the Manley,and it's a lot stronger than the OEM 100mm.
I have had an OEM 100mm crank in my 2.3 for 5 years and 30k miles, FWIW.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 12:24 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GSR ONE
Nothing wrong with the ferrea valves plenty of people run them with good results. I would put those in my build.

Oh I know, I just mean are they a part that I can install and forget or do I need to check them once in a while like you have to check engine bearings with aluminum rods. I know the race guys rebuild their engines after every race sometimes. I wanna be able to build this engine and not have to mess with it all the time.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 02:53 AM

Oh I know, I just mean are they a part that I can install and forget or do I need to check them once in a while like you have to check engine bearings with aluminum rods. I know the race guys rebuild their engines after every race sometimes. I wanna be able to build this engine and not have to mess with it all the time.
That will all depend on your HP/TQ goals and usage, the higher you go the more maintenance needed but the valves should be fine. I'd be more concerned with the bottom end maintenance wise.

As for the cams Kelford or GSC IMO, I'm hoping the GSC R2's will be out soon and if your build is mostly street use I'd prefer a twin scroll turbo.
I like the Borg Warner EFR range but that's me.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
FWIW, a stock 100mm crank will be perfectly fine at the horsepower levels you are looking to achieve. I have a 2.3 with 100mm stock crank (had it nitrided), Manley turbotuff rods, and good pistons. This summer we made over 800awhp on a Mustang dyno and last year this same engine made 760hp on the same dyno.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 04:22 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I was going back and forth on the crank. Decided that the bottom end is where most of the cash will be spent. That way I'll never have to mess with it again even when I eventually decide 600hp isn't getting the job done. (I'm sure it'll happen haha bit of a wangan/touge warrior) Plan is to get the Manley billet as soon as I sell my Mirages suspension setup; which should be soon. I started the awd conversion yesterday so I don't need the Mirage stuff anymore. Selling this crank will also help towards the billet one. At the very least, I think the car will be swapped and running by Spring.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 02:52 PM
Evolving Member

Hey what do you guys think of the JE 2.3L pistons? Part no: JE-202192 Better than the Wisecos? I wonder what the HP limit on them would be...
They are a bit lower CR at 8.5:1 which would be better for a pump gas application and I know a lot of racecars use JE for their pistons so I'd imagine
they're a well made product. Think I can hit my power goal with them? Maybe even push a little further down the road?

Last edited by Alchem1st; Oct 2, 2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 10:31 PM

Hey what do you guys think of the JE 2.3L pistons? Part no: JE-202192 Better than the Wisecos? I wonder what the HP limit on them would be...
They are a bit lower CR at 8.5:1 which would be better for a pump gas application and I know a lot of racecars use JE for their pistons so I'd imagine
they're a well made product. Think I can hit my power goal with them? Maybe even push a little further down the road?
They are both very good brands and either one will be a fine choice. I've always preferred JE though. JAM do custom Venolia pistons if you want something different but come with a higher price tag.

Also asking about HP limit on a piston is defunct.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:22 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I know there isn't really a number out there for knowing what a piston can take. I guess what I was thinking is for people who've had those pistons fail, what kind of numbers they were pushing or how much boost or something.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 09:47 PM
Evolving Member

So this thread is very old now LOL. Started my engine build a little later than I expected but better late than never I guess. Went with a Manley forged crank as Fathouse Fabrications is close to me and their shop Evo used one to run 9's in the 1/4 so I think it'll do just fine. Crank should get here some time next week. In the mean time I've cleaned up the block a little and test fitted everything as well as torqued the main studs down with the OEM crank I have to check clearances. Everything seems good and mains are all about .002 so here's hoping I won't end up needing to align bore the block. I used oil to torque them though so I will redo this step with the Manley crank and the ARP torque solution. Question, has anyone had to clearance their main girdle to run a 2.3 bottom end? I know on certain DSM's you had too. Not sure on Evo's.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts
650whp on pump takes a Magnus V5, really good cylinder head, some R2s (or equivalent..S3s will do in a pinch), a 3586 at 29psi, and a 3.5" exhaust. A little tight on clearances but allowable.

I'll look for my dyno sheet.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Ignore the 573, that was the same kit on a 2.0L.

Quick Reply: 2.3 stroker build parts suggestions