Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Some drivetrain stuff thats annoying me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some drivetrain stuff thats annoying me

I would just like an idea of what these noises are i will explain my setup:

03 viii
ACT 6 puck/10lb flywheel
Aem intake
Cams
Fuel pump
Oem front lsd
Energy suspension rear bushings
Some other small things

Fluids:
Tranny- redline mt-90
T-case- oem diaqueen
Rear- oem diaqueen

Noises:
-Grinding/scratching noise on decel
-Whine sound on high speeds around 85 mph mainly under light boost and under some boost accel in 3rd, probably the bushings or rear.(not obnoxious)

Ps: fluids were changed recently and my car is 100% quiet in neutral unless moving really really fast then i get the small whine from possibly the rear.
Car for the most part is 100% quiet in nuetral so i think its safe to say its not the t-case

Anyone have these noises???

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Sep 30, 2012 at 12:46 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolved Member

Just took it for another blast i realized when i actually kick some boost in on the highway you dont hear much whine when off the gas it goes away. Sometimes in nuetral you can hear a small sound my friends dont even hear it. If you put in nuetral going like 90

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Sep 30, 2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

No one?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:26 PM

I did what you did change all fluids and the noise got worse and my noise increasings WOT from 60- 85. I already changed all rear diff bearing and I mostly know its the tcase. Any metal on tcase or diff plug?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well if I had to guess I would say your fuel pump and your rear bushings were some of the culprit at least. My walboro is somewhat quiet but you can definately hear it.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I changed the fluid there was some shaving on the rear not bad, the t-case was clean and the tranny had shavings from a rebuild... In just scared about the high speed nuetral thing i want to say its the rear but im not sure. The t-case pretty much checks out good....plus will the fuel pump whine when i go to nuetral??

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Sep 30, 2012 at 06:37 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:01 PM

Ok It's hard to say I have a 255 and I don't hear anything. When in nuetral and you push the clutch in does the noise go away? If there is no noise it can be the throw out bearing in the clutch.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Its a 255 fuel pump, and i have never tryed pressing the clutch in nuetral, although my clutch does make a bit of noise at idle. My clutch is a bit weird. But anyways can the rear whine in nuetral while going fast? And isent the clutch fully disengaged and out of the question in neutral?

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Sep 30, 2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:23 PM
Evolved Member

i looked up this video of the fuel pump whine and to be honest it sounds pretty much like this but not as loud like i said its not really obnoxious if you let one window down a bit it would probably drown the sound. but if it does this in neutral can it still be the fuel pump? the pump does not make noise at idle. ive never really tryed accelerating past 100mph so maybe around 100 it just gets noisy then quiets down.=/ keep in mind my cars always quiet around town no noise in nuetral or anything.

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Sep 30, 2012 at 09:42 PM.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 08:48 AM
Evolved Member

just went for a blast through into neutral at about 100, swayed left to right a bit to check for difference in sound from wheel bearings(pretty scary) dident really notice a difference. But i did notice that the sound im hearing is not loud at all and its an inconsistent scratch noise. Its so low i cant really even target where its coming from maybe the back right were the squeking is coming from when i push the trunk. i noticed a lot of my whining noise is while accelerating and when letting off the gas it goes away which is pretty normal. but all in all when i put the car in nuetral you dont hear any sirens or insane sounds. i think im over worrying myself. my tires are sumitomo htrz ii by the way if anyone knows about road noise and what not. someone please confirm a way to tell if i have a serious t-case issue, a test or something..
Old Oct 1, 2012, 09:27 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The noises.....man, I've got a whining in the belt area.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You've got grinding/growling on decel? Notice a very slight similar noise while you're stationary with the clutch engaged, that goes away when you disengage it?

If so it's your input shaft bearing. It appears to be an increasingly common failure these days.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by cmspaz
You've got grinding/growling on decel? Notice a very slight similar noise while you're stationary with the clutch engaged, that goes away when you disengage it?

If so it's your input shaft bearing. It appears to be an increasingly common failure these days.
i get the coffee grind decel which is probably my clutch or rear, and my clutch makes a rotating weird noise when stationary if i press it the noise disappears.. im ok with that a lot of people seem to have it. but on light accelration i get a little whine when i let off it goes away, if i throw the car into neutral everything goes quiet but i feel like i can still hear something very faint, but going 100 mph in nuetral it can be anything (no sirens or crazy *** sounds) im just being very **** right now. Theres to many things that can make noise, my rear bushings, t-case, rear, struts, who knows. i have a car thats built to race and i drive it normal thats what the issue is. but other than that how can i confirm my t-case is in good shape by sound? im mainly worryed about the tcase going out i just had a costly repair to my cylinder head and i dont want another one.

Last edited by deadstockkpomp; Oct 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM.