Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

My new Evo IX has issues (big ones)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My new Evo IX has issues (big ones)

So i just bought my first Evo but not my first Mitsu. Im having issues with boging/misfireing while accelerating, as soon as i hit +1psi I misfire like crazy. let me tell the whole story first.

When i bought the car (06 evo IX RS) it had a few mods on it, full injen intake, full exhaust but stock headers, torque damper, an older model Coolingmist water/meth inj system,cams but not sure exactly which ones will know this weekend, and a MBC. the car was misfiring if i slammed the gas to the floor but was ok if i eased into it, when i saw 27psi i realized its just not enough fuel from the stock system. First i pulled the MBC and just connected a vac line straight from turbo to waste gate (because im an idiot and didnt do my research) i was running 10psi with no issues. I Finally Bought the vac lines from the mitsu dealer and started to see about 14-16psi (aftermarket gauge) but i was still getting a misfire under heavy boost again. scanned for codes and got #4 misfire. changed the spark plugs and swapped #3 &4 fuel injectors, still no better but after 2 weeks i noticed #4's spark plug electrode insulation turned brown? I think it is because of the blown head gasket, i know its blown because of pressure pushing coolant out of the overflow tank and the smell of exhaust in the coolant. So I figured that might be the problem and now i have parts on order to change it this weekend. Then this weekend the car was driving fine and yes i have been babying it since i found the bad gasket but randomly Sunday morning i noticed while accelerating *** soon as i hit 1psi its misfires like crazy. codes say multiple random misfire and low exhaust pressure.

How did it go from bad to worse? I know it NEEDS a tune that will be happening after the head gasket and head resurface. But i dont think the tune is the full issue here if nothing changed on the car from Sat to Sun. I have checked for boost leaks with soapy water and didnt find anything but im going to make the full test rig soon because i am running low boost for some reason as stated above and i sit at about -12 at idle. not sure whats causing that either. Some friends are suggesting better fuel system (injectors regulator pump ect.) but i shouldn't be hitting fuel cut at 1psi nor should i have when i was peaking at 16. Also the new plugs are Iridium and gaped to .4, that sounds like too big of a gap to me but advanced says thats what their system says it needs and like i said it was running mostly fine till Sun. so i dont think its the gap either.

Sorry for such a long post but i know every bit of info helps with these things. Tanks for any help guys!
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
First of all,if your car has a blown head gasket.. stop running the engine. Lets say coolant fills the combustion chamber and then you crank the engine. Bent rod/damaged pistons/valves. Its just not worth it.

Here is what I recommend.Get the head checked( maybe install new valve seals) to make sure it isn't warped,Fix the headgasket ( OEM ) then do a compression test. It sounds like the car has been rode hard and put away wet.

If that checks out then start checking the coils,plugs,wires and the basic stuff. Good luck with it.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:27 PM
Evolving Member

You're also going to need new spark plugs. The bad head gasket will kill spark plugs fast. If you did a boost leak test with a bad head gasket you could push coolant and oil everywhere and could of caused a bigger leak in the head gasket. Park the car and fix the head gasket.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

Stop driving the car and get an expert to look it over. YOU are making it go bad to worse, not the car.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 03:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Evolution Dynamics is probably your best bet for Texas based Evo performance shops. Take it there and open up your wallet.
Old Oct 4, 2012, 05:49 PM

The misfire you are having is while you are starting to build pressure coolant is entering the engine due to your blown head gasket, when coolant is introduced it is not a fuel like meth is and that's while you are misfiring. I suggest you stop driving the car, buy arp headstuds and install head gaskets after you resurface the head. Very important not to drive the car.
Old Oct 5, 2012, 08:22 AM

Ah stop driving it!!!!! You are going to end up dumping way more than you need to in it
Old Oct 6, 2012, 08:32 AM

I did stop driving the the car, i only drove it when i needed to because i couldn't find a ride. On Friday i dropped it off at a shop to have the head gasket changed because i just don't have enough confidence with the timing belt i don't want to F that up. I gave the shop ARP head studs, and an oem head gasket. They are also ordering a full seal kit and im having them replace the timing belt, water pump and pulley because the car is around 62k miles and I think those are supposed to be replaced at 70k.

Next after all this is going to be AEM Wideband Air/Fuel and tru-boost gauge, and a tune. A few guys i work with have taken their Evos to Alamo Autosports in Arlington Texas and have been very pleased with their work. Alamo charges about $175 hr. for dyno/tune work. Just wondering about prices and experiences from Evolution Dynamics mentioned by R/TErnie.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:11 PM

WOW! So I decided to take it to a shop and asked them to change the head gasket, studs, water pump, hydraulic tensioner, and tensioner Pulley while a was away for work. got a call back and I got some bad news, the pit in the head is so deep that he claims the machinist cant resurface it so i need a new head. #4 was misfireing because all 4 of #4s valves are bent and open when piston is at TDC. #4s piston has gouges from something so it needs replacement. And last but not least #1 and 4 pistons can be rotated side to side inside the cylinder with just 2 fingers! Oh and he claims he cant find a replacement head, he claims he cant find one with the same code but is waiting to hear back from a place in California about a suitable supplement for it. Anyone have any ideas? Im not the brightest with these cars but i would have thought just about any head from an evo 8-9 would work but he claims 06s have a different head than all the rest???
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Ouch... That is true, I'm sure you can find a Mivec head from a member on here.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

well its different cuz its a MIVEC motor. look around you "should" be able to find a good used one. but if the pistons are shot, you might as well look into a longblock.. there are people selling them for the 2-2500 range. sorry bro
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Well that escalated quickly.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:12 PM

thats horrible..and you just bought this? were these problems there when u bought it?
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:32 AM

I hope you got some kind of very good deal on the car because I'm not understanding why you would buy it if you saw so many problems from the start. This is why when it comes to cars like these, if you lack experience in knowing about them, you should get a full mechanics inspection from someone knowledgeable. That way they can go over everything with you and the problems you may have to face. A couple hundred dollars is worth the thousands you may have had to spend down the road.

Hope things work out for you though, seems like it may be a bumpy ride =(
Old Oct 18, 2012, 05:33 AM

Like everyone else has said- take it to Evolution Dynamics. Kevin is very good and has reasonable prices for his services.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: My new Evo IX has issues (big ones)