Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2nd gear lockout.. is it synchro?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2012, 10:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation 2nd gear lockout.. is it synchro?

has anyone had or knew someone that had a 2nd gear lockout issue? my trans can't seem to go in no matter if I'm regular cruise driving or WOT shifting or even when car is off.. can't seem to get it in at all.. fluid was changed maybe 2 months ago using redline cocktail. no grinding or pop outs.. YET! All other gears are fine as well... any ideas.. ppl are telling me maybe a bent shift fork, but not sure
Old Oct 8, 2012, 04:50 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm by no means an expert on Mitsu trannys. I have a lot more experience with Honda's and Ford's manuals. But most of the basics are the same. If its anything like an Si's tranny, first and second should be on the same shaft separate from the other gears(except reverse). They will be controlled by the same shift fork. So if it was bent, you should have noticable trouble getting into first as well. I would lean more towards a possible hub issue, maybe gear or synchro. Would be difficult to tell without taking the trans apart. Have you rechecked the fluid since this has happened, any metal? All of your linkage move freely if you disconnect from the trans? Just a few things I would check, but to me it sounds like it might be internal. Good luck man.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by legacydestroyer
I'm by no means an expert on Mitsu trannys. I have a lot more experience with Honda's and Ford's manuals. But most of the basics are the same. If its anything like an Si's tranny, first and second should be on the same shaft separate from the other gears(except reverse). They will be controlled by the same shift fork. So if it was bent, you should have noticable trouble getting into first as well. I would lean more towards a possible hub issue, maybe gear or synchro. Would be difficult to tell without taking the trans apart. Have you rechecked the fluid since this has happened, any metal? All of your linkage move freely if you disconnect from the trans? Just a few things I would check, but to me it sounds like it might be internal. Good luck man.
first gear goes in smooth no matter what just like all other gears including Reverse.. its only seconds gear so far thats causing the lockout... and no i havent checked my fluid yet.. but i will try to disconnect the linkage from the trans and see if it still moves as it should.. it has some brass shift linkage bushings if that matters to anyone reading..
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:55 AM
Tvo

I've had that issue before and I can't remember exactly what part was the culprit, but it is definitely something bent or broke inside the trans causing you all your pain and suffering.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tvo
I've had that issue before and I can't remember exactly what part was the culprit, but it is definitely something bent or broke inside the trans causing you all your pain and suffering.
DAMNIT! arggggg
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

What clutch do you have out of curiosity?
Old Oct 8, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
I had the exact same problem as you and it ended up being the bearing on my input shaft. It wasn't clearance properly which allowed the shaft to sag.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boosted91t
What clutch do you have out of curiosity?
exedy twin disc HD 1400.. its due for a refresh
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MuslimEvoFreak
I had the exact same problem as you and it ended up being the bearing on my input shaft. It wasn't clearance properly which allowed the shaft to sag.
oh wow.. damn either looks like the trans has to come out.. im just trying to figure out what all i would need to buy prior to taking the trans out to avoid alot of down time seeing as how this is somewhat of a daily driven car.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 09:48 PM
Evolved Member

You won't know for sure unless you take it to a shop and have it looked at to be honest.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drifting Away
You won't know for sure unless you take it to a shop and have it looked at to be honest.
this is true
Old Oct 9, 2012, 04:36 AM
Evolving Member

If you're planning on using OEM parts, find out from your local Mitsu parts guy when they place their parts order. If they order daily and receive daily, great. If not, try to plan your removal and tear down accordingly if you can, so you can minimize down time by getting parts ordered when they place their order. I know the Mitsu place I used to work for ordered once a week. The Honda shop I work for now, orders daily. Something to think about since you want to keep down time low.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

UPDATE:

emailed Shep trans about this and they said:

"HI,
I suspect the 1-2 hub is damaged or the locating lugs on the synchro are worn.

We will only go into a trans and do a full build, being that you have a 2003 I would allow for at least $1500 to properly repair and upgrade it.

John "

has anyone damaged there 1-2 hub before with same symptoms?