Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ZEROSHIFT!! Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2004, 01:36 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many High end cars offer sequen tranny as an options.

Many of you do not understand how it works.

It is not an auto.

You shift gears but theres no clutch.

Basically you have a shifter and it either goes up, down or reverse. Thats it. Perfect upshifts and downshifts every time.

http://www.CarPhoto.net
Old Feb 5, 2004, 01:54 AM
SVT
Evolving Member

Is this what the rally cars have?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 02:20 AM
Evolved Member

Sound cool and wrong at the same time. Right, I have hared of the DSM (I think) that the VAG use in the new TT, but that is an entirely new box and specific to VAG. I understand this one but how the hell dose the ZEROSHIFT work? Is the an actual shift or is it like the “single gear” setup that the F1 guys used to use?

Last edited by chuntington101; Feb 5, 2004 at 05:53 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

It sounds just like BMW's SMG II for the M3s.

I was able to drive one; it's definitely cool stuff although I prefer a conventional manual.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 05:51 AM
Evolved Member

The BMW SMG is just a electronical sequential though. even in race mode there is still a time delay!
Old Feb 5, 2004, 06:17 AM
Evolving Member

For all the lazy people who don't want to read, here's a quick explanation.

When a shift is occurring, it ahs two gears engaged at the same time, if only for a millisecond. Think of a track and field relay. 1st gear’s running towards second, second sees him and starts off. They meet up both running at speed, and 1st hands off the baton. At one time, they were both holding the baton. Same concept here. This means NO time at all will be off power.

On a side note, they already have a better version of this for automatics. It's called cvt, and is on many cars.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 07:35 AM
Evolved Member

bluevilevo8 how can the system engage to gears at once and still use the standard box (assuming you use a normal cluster)? You would have to have 2 separate clusters with 2 separate clutches that engage independently of each other (ie the DSM box). Please post more info.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by bluevilevo8
On a side note, they already have a better version of this for automatics. It's called cvt, and is on many cars.
Yeah but CVT's are belt and pulley driven and cannot as of yet handle much horsepower, the only company that has mated a 6 cyl. to it is audi, however theirs is chain driven and kinda works backwards. The CVT is nice as there is never a drop in RPM's on the constant changing gear ratio. Imagine your car never dropping out or peak boost, at the top of it's power curve.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:31 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
Many High end cars offer sequen tranny as an options.

Many of you do not understand how it works.

It is not an auto.

You shift gears but theres no clutch.

Basically you have a shifter and it either goes up, down or reverse. Thats it. Perfect upshifts and downshifts every time.

http://www.CarPhoto.net
This is not a sequential gearbox. Read the article. It can be adapted to sequential but it doesn't have to. This is a mainly a gear selection mechanism
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:34 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong...

But when you see the videos, you can see that the driver is having some sort of input with the left foot. You can see him pumpin' the left foot the same manner as you would do so when operating a clutch. So it appears this type of tranny has a manually operated clutch in some sort of way. Kinda like a conventional manual, but with sequential shifting with no time between shifts.

I could be wrong, though. I'll appreciated it if anyone can point me in the right direction.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:36 AM
Evolving Member

Details are still under cover because these guys didn't get their patent yet. Also, F1 cars don't even have this yet. Nobody has it. Racecar Engineer is a very respectable magazine. I have never heard them making a claim like that before. "This will be in every car in the next 10 years" also from the desing it appears that the retrofit will be very cheap, a few hundred $ maybe.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

What video?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 08:47 AM

http://www.seqshift.com/

sorry for not giving the direct link....

Edit:

http://www.seqshift.com/video/short_lever_2.mpg

Last edited by MRT_27; Feb 5, 2004 at 08:52 AM.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

I wrote a letter to these guys here is the answer

Hi

Thanks for your interest.

We will only supply the aftermarket on an exchange basis with whole transmissions. Having said that there will be some pretty cool ways to use the transmission – also patented, not mentioned in RCE!

A bit more info below....

Further to the Racecar Engineering feature (Feb issue) and the subsequent Web Forum discussions (a couple of which I’ve participated in to answer questions) the level of response has been staggering.

I hope this gives a basic guide to what, when and how much for the time being.

- ZeroShift will likely appear soon (possibly covertly) in at least one top racing team’s development programme, if not its race programme, this year. When this happens, you’ll find out about it in the motoring media.

- ZeroShift is also in dialogue with car (and other types of vehicle) manufacturers about future models and the potential to introduce ZeroShift into upgrade/option lists. Realistically, I don’t expect these talks to result in product reaching the market until 2005 earliest. Some of these talks will result in announcements.

- At some point this year we plan to offer ZeroShift modified T5 and T56 transmissions on an exchange basis to individuals. At first these will be supplied and fitted direct from our workshops, gradually feeding into appointed ZeroShift outlets (UK first). Mid-2004 will be the ABSOLUTE EARLIEST any customer T5’s are delivered. The T56 will be close behind.

Expect the price of the T5 to start at around £5K, the T56 from £7,500. Control options and/or tougher gears (big tooth, wider) will account for upgrade costs. A warranty will be given, limited to the replacement of the gearbox at our appointed workshop. Specifics of the warranty terms are currently under consideration however the basic ‘spirit’ of the warranty is that should the transmission fail, we’ll replace it. Obviously we’d like to know the conditions under which any fault occurs and to examine the remains.

The first T5 and T56 batches are spoken for already but I would be pleased to receive serious expressions of interest to set aside transmissions – in other words you can reserve a place in the order book if you so wish by writing (not email) to our office address below. We will then notify you of key developments from time to time leading up to a delivery date for your transmission.

Other transmissions are scheduled to follow these two on the same exchange basis. The SMG box for the BMW M3 is likely to be next but there is evidently demand for the MT75/MTX75 and the R32/R33 Skyline box. 2005 – 2006 is the likely schedule, pricing will be in the same ball park as the T5/T56. Expressions of interest for gearboxes not otherwise mentioned may influence our early model range decisions.

Once again thank you for your interest – we’re delighted to have received so many enthusiastic enquiries so early!

Safe motoring!

Phil James
Managing Director
Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by MRT_27
Correct me if I'm wrong...

But when you see the videos, you can see that the driver is having some sort of input with the left foot. You can see him pumpin' the left foot the same manner as you would do so when operating a clutch. So it appears this type of tranny has a manually operated clutch in some sort of way. Kinda like a conventional manual, but with sequential shifting with no time between shifts.

I could be wrong, though. I'll appreciated it if anyone can point me in the right direction.
no you have it backwards...SEQSHIFT is a sequential shift you can choose the option to use your clutch or not...this is the system that most rally drivers use on their cars wether its paddle board or a shifter in the center...

sorry Amigoni i didn't read up on the ZEROSHIFT system and from your explanation it seems very interesting and it is different to what the SEQSHIFT does.

Bluevilevo8 explained the system in the simplest way two gears engaged at the same time to there is no rpm loss in between gears unlike SEQSHIFT at automatic mode in order for it to shift without the clutch it disengages the ignition during a shift so there is a loss of RPM there.

Quick Reply: ZEROSHIFT!! Unbelievable