Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

ZEROSHIFT!! Unbelievable

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2004, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh and a retrofit will only cost $9,000-$14,000... Am I reading that e-mail correctly?

Personally I'd rather spend that kind of money importing and installing ACD & S-AYC. Of course that's if I *were* to spend that kind of money...

Last edited by propellerhead; Feb 6, 2004 at 01:28 PM.
Old Feb 6, 2004, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Guru_Del

Yeah but CVT's are belt and pulley driven and cannot as of yet handle much horsepower, the only company that has mated a 6 cyl. to it is audi, however theirs is chain driven and kinda works backwards. The CVT is nice as there is never a drop in RPM's on the constant changing gear ratio. Imagine your car never dropping out or peak boost, at the top of it's power curve.
Audi isn't the only company with a CVT mated to a V6; the Nissan Murano is available with a CVT mated to the 245hp VQ35.

Nissan also has a Jatco "Extroid" CVT available on the Skyline 350 GT-8 in Japan (think G35 sedan) that I think may be available on the next GT-R in the U.S. This CVT is very interesting, in that it does not use a push-belt or chain; rather, it uses rollers that swivel to contact different radii of the input and output disks. It has high torque capacity and uses a traction fluid to transmit torque, instead of metal to metal contact. It's also highly efficient, in the 90-92% range for the whole transmission.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
Many High end cars offer sequen tranny as an options.

Many of you do not understand how it works.

It is not an auto.

You shift gears but theres no clutch.

Basically you have a shifter and it either goes up, down or reverse. Thats it. Perfect upshifts and downshifts every time.

http://www.CarPhoto.net
Looks like you don't quite understand it either. A SMG transmission does have a clutch, but it is electrohydraulically actuated by a computer, and the gear shift is also electronic. The computer controls throttle, clutch, and gear selection. When the user taps a paddle a signal is sent to clutch in, change gears, match revs, and clutch out. There is still a slight interruption in the flow of power since the computer is basically doing what a person would do in a far quicker and more repeatable fashion. VAG's DSG transmission eliminates the interruption of power by having twin clutches, and at all times two gears are engaged simultaneously, but only one of the clutches.. when a shift is executed, the car changes between the clutches and thus, no interruption of power.

I'm very interested in how this zeroshift product works.. obviously we still do the rowing but some simple mechanism eliminates the need for using the clutch.. since our evo's have mechanical throttle, it'll be interesting to see how smooth it really is.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

ok..i am a little bit confused...

so what u guys are sayin is that the conventional manual is better than seqshift.
because seqshift disengages the ignition for a second to allow you to shift causin a loss of rpm.
whereas a conventional manual would keep the rpm up?

is this correct?
sorry, but i dont knw too much about these things.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

No. Seq is better then regular because you can shift faster. You loos power in both because there is a fraction of a second when your engine is disengaged from the transmission. Seq gearboxes especially modern ones minimize that. Zeroshift has 2 gears selected at the same time at the time of shift. so no loss of power to the wheels ever.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

So dose that mean that Zeroshift has 2 clutches or just one?
Old Feb 10, 2004, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Dunno exactly. I don't think it has two clutches. But the design is still under covers. They have not gotten their patents and even after they do they will only do full transmission replacements for a couple of years untill they get all their contracts signed with manufacturers. Then I think it will be more open. It's such a sensitive invention they have to release it slowly.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

traditional manual transmissions are faster than SMG or Sequential Shifting Technology (whatever the acronym or name). Reason being is that there is a delay between shifts, my friend had SMG on his E46 M3 and he said he was slower and shifting lagged in comparison to his previous E46 M3 with traditional manual transmission. There is a bit of RPM drop I heard at higher RPMS... I know this is a technical reason, but I think Sequential Shifting is suited for Racing like Rally and F1 because they are shifting frequently and need to have reliable shifts without any error and at a fast rate.

But with all these helpers on cars these days like sequential automatic blah blah blah... the real spirit and skill of driving is beginning to be lost. Some people will rely on these devices to save them, but I think the true racer's skills derive from the pure driving experience.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by bluevilevo8
When a shift is occurring, it ahs two gears engaged at the same time, if only for a millisecond. Think of a track and field relay. 1st gear’s running towards second, second sees him and starts off. They meet up both running at speed, and 1st hands off the baton. At one time, they were both holding the baton. Same concept here. This means NO time at all will be off power.
Sounds a lot like a planetary gearset...
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Earl Needham

Sounds a lot like a planetary gearset...
It sounds like an automatic transmission with auto-stick. lol
The planetary gearsets in automatic trannies always stay in mesh... it just changes ratios by keeping different parts of the geartrain stationary at one time or another.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 11:24 AM

umm, isn't this the same thing as in the Audi TT 3.2 DSG? that thing came out like a year ago.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articl...udi_tt_dsg.htm