Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Question about 6262 running on low boost.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about 6262 running on low boost.

Hey Guys,
I recently sold my evo X mr, and bought a used evo IX MR with a significant amount of mods. The car gets its power from a PTE 6262. The previous owner used to run 1/4 miles all the time, and it was running e85 and meth to make ~700whp. However to make it ready for sale, he converted it to 93oct pump gas and lowered the boost on the turbo significantly to about ~15psi. I know what you are thinking, ~15 psi is really low for such a large turbo, the car still makes a ton of power due to a full race intake manifold, stage 3 cams, and a stage 3 head just to name a few of the mods. However I want just a bit more power. Luckily the car has a MBC. Would I need to get a new tune or reflash to significantly turn up the boost to ~25psi or could I just go under the hood and turn the nob x amount of clicks to reach my targeted range. Im a newb when it comes to all this, as my evo X didnt require such technical know-how. If any of you guys could help me learn about my new car it would be greatly appreciated. The car is currently getting work done at Fynetune in Miami and if I would need to get a new tune done to turn up the boost, let me know now as I could just have them do it there.

Last edited by jthompson8692; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 01:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jthompson8692
Hey Guys,
I recently sold my evo X mr, and bought a used evo IX MR with a significant amount of mods. The car gets its power from a PTE 6262. The previous owner used to run 1/4 miles all the time, and it was running e85 and meth to make ~700whp. However to make it ready for sale, he converted it to 93oct pump gas and lowered the boost on the turbo significantly to about ~15psi. I know what you are thinking, ~15 psi is really low for such a large turbo, the car still makes a ton of power due to a full race intake manifold, stage 3 cams, and a stage 3 head just to name a few of the mods. However I want just a bit more power. Luckily the car has a MBC. Would I need to get a new tune or reflash to significantly turn up the boost to ~25psi or could I just go under the hood and turn the nob x amount of clicks to reach my targeted range. Im a newb when it comes to all this, as my evo X didnt require such technical know-how. If any of you guys could help me learn about my new car it would be greatly appreciated. The car is currently getting work done at Fynetune in Miami and if I would need to get a new tune done to turn up the boost, let me know now as I could just have them do it there.

WAY to low, since it was probably tuned w/ the 6262 & supporting mods, You should be able to keep it from 20-25~ safe I would hope.... that turbo is going to be a turd below 25 honestly...
What was it on before you lowered it? & Yes, a turbo like that I would def need to be tuned. You said "Stage 3" do you actually know what is done to it, or was this just what was listed on the sale's info of the car?

Last edited by kaonashi; Oct 15, 2012 at 01:51 PM.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:05 PM

Yeah, it is aggravating how long it takes boost to come up on the street. I'm contemplating putting a significantly smaller turbo in and running e85, but that's for another day. I'm not exactly sure what the psi was before it was lowered but it must have been significantly higher if he was making the numbers he claimed. I have known the previous owner for a few years and I have been in steady contact with his mechanic who is very knowledgeable, so I know none of what he said in selling it was bs. You have given me a few questions to ask him though. Thanks for the help.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would not just turn the knob x amount of times. Since you previously knew the old owner, the car might be ready to go. However, I suggest spending a small fee to have a shop and tuner go over the modifications in the car and have it tuned to how YOU want it. If I were to ever buy another Evo, the first thing I would do is have to tuned how I wanted it. Good luck
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by evo unknown
I would not just turn the knob x amount of times. Since you previously knew the old owner, the car might be ready to go. However, I suggest spending a small fee to have a shop and tuner go over the modifications in the car and have it tuned to how YOU want it. If I were to ever buy another Evo, the first thing I would do is have to tuned how I wanted it. Good luck
Good advice, thanks for the help. I've been meaning to put some pictures of the car up. I'll have to get around to that.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 02:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evo unknown
Both my evo's I purposely found stock* I wouldn't ever buy someone else's "race car" but maybe thats just me. Some people take care of their stuff though so I can't be bias towards a Modded car because all mine have been. Call him and find out. Your probably better off staying on 93 and not e85 honestly unless you just want to go that route.