Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo 8 death whine?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2012, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Evo 8 death whine?

Alright, background first.
My car was down for a couple months cause the squeaking from what I thought was the bushings got too bad to drive. I finally replaced everything with the energy suspension master kit (front and rear control arms, sway bars, and all the differential supports). There was no whining and everything ran great before I parked it.
Finally got everything done last week and it was more noisy than when I parked it. Squeaking noise ended up being a dry shock. But it started a whining/droning noise that seems to be from under the front of the car. At cruising speed at 60-80 its present but not loud. The loudest is when I put it in neutral to decelerate. Say I put it in neutral at 60mph, I would hear it the whole time, but the noise gets much louder once I reach the 20-0mph range.
Are these symptoms of t-case death whine or is it something else?
Also, my tcase has a small leak and I just topped it off with redline MT-90. Both tranny and t-case were flushed and refilled 6 months ago.
The other odd thing that Im assuming is unrelated is it started having some whacky air/fuels. It has an english racing base map and it ran great before I parked it. Now at idle, crusing speed, and 0-15% throttle my air/fuel ratio is 10-11, but once I accelerate it goes back to normal at 13-14 at 4psi and drops down to 11.5-12.1 at 22psi.
It's just odd how both of these started when the car was sitting for 2 months.

Last edited by gsteensland; Oct 18, 2012 at 07:02 AM.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This doesn't sound like a transfer case whine, usually it'll go away if you put it in neutral. And as for tune, did you maybe get it tuned when it was pretty hot out and now it's cold? My A/F's are sloppy right now because of the dramatic change of temp.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any idea what would cause that noise? Maybe I didn't install something completely correct when I replaced the bushings? I also noticed if I let of the gas completely but still stay in gear, it makes no noise what so ever, but if I pull it into neutral after letting off the gas the whine starts much louder.
And as for the tune, it was done several years ago. I drove it all winter last year and it never did this? I don't understand what would cause it to run so incredibly rich with no throttle. I was seeing 10.0 idling in my driveway.