Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Fp red wastegate actuator

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2012, 04:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fp red wastegate actuator

I am going to be buying an Fp red with kelford cams and a bunch of other mods, but in the end I will be pushing 450whp @ 25-28psi

What Actuator should I go with the 18psi or the 25psi?

I dont autocross the car at all or run it hard alot. Its a street car for the most part. I dont know if that matters but the more info the better.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

If you don't have any intention of running lower than 25psi then the 25psi actuator would best suit you. What fuel will you be on?
I've got a 25psi actuator on my Red and with some preload i hold a solid 27psi...this is however not on pump gas.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
25psi....18 would be if you're shooting for 350 -400whp
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I will be running 93 pump gas. Id love to go e85 but in WI there isnt enougb of it yet. At least not where im at.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Is this gonna be a JB, or a BB Red? The JB Red spools kinda slow so I don't see the need for the 25# actuator if you will be limiting peak boost level to the mid 20's. Me I prefer a heavily preloaded 18 pounder to an unpreloaded 25 pounder if I am only be running up into mid 20# range especially on the slower spooling JB version of the Red. Just my .02
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:35 PM
Evolving Member

I am going ball bearing. And since that got brought up is ball bearing really the way to go? I had a guy tell me not to go with Maperformances Ef3 turbo cuz its journal bearings and they fail alot when pushing 450+ whp. So instead of paying $1800 for the ef3 turbo i am gojng to go with the $2500 fp red bb turbo.
Is this worth it when putting 450whp on a car that is street use only with an occasional quater mile pull.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

I want to buy a turbo that is going to be solid and last me so I dont want to be cheap when buying a turbo.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:46 PM
Evolved Member

I don't know. If you are willing to spend the $2500 price, then you may want to think about the BB Black instead of a BB Red. The Black is worth 40WHP over the Red even without a tune and they cost the same. The BB Black will get you to 450 on pump easily, even with a crappy tune.

More specifically, for the $700 price difference it would be hard for me to justify purchasing a BB Red vs. the MAP EF3. For $1800 you are getting a lot of turbo for your money with the EF3. So, maybe there is a 300 RPM spool difference. But, so what?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:33 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
I don't know. If you are willing to spend the $2500 price, then you may want to think about the BB Black instead of a BB Red. The Black is worth 40WHP over the Red even without a tune and they cost the same. The BB Black will get you to 450 on pump easily, even with a crappy tune.

More specifically, for the $700 price difference it would be hard for me to justify purchasing a BB Red vs. the MAP EF3. For $1800 you are getting a lot of turbo for your money with the EF3. So, maybe there is a 300 RPM spool difference. But, so what?
Ef3 is not ball bearing man. Fp red or black is. Makes a difference in turbo life as well as spool up characteristics. But with an fp black wont i have a lot of lag?
Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:29 PM
Evolved Member

Sure the BB Red will be more responsive than the BB Black no doubt. You are right. I have never driven in a car with a Black, but some have said that there is only a 200-300 RPM difference between Red and Black.

Have you considered a BB HTA Green? There are so many options. Or a BBK-B BB(aka 3B). Both a 3B and a BB Green would be super more responsive than a Red.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Sure the BB Red will be more responsive than the BB Black no doubt. You are right. I have never driven in a car with a Black, but some have said that there is only a 200-300 RPM difference between Red and Black.

Have you considered a BB HTA Green? There are so many options. Or a BBK-B BB(aka 3B). Both a 3B and a BB Green would be super more responsive than a Red.
Yes ive heard of the hta but i want more top end power and more room to upgrade later on.
I geuss tho what is the difference between an fp hta green and a fp bb red?

I also know have heard that the green can give to much low end torque and destroy an engine. I am running a stock block btw.
F*** me this is a pain making a descision. Lol.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:23 AM
Evolved Member

I was just wanting to get a better idea of the sort of driving that you will be doing. You say that there will be no Auto-X. What about drag racing or HPDE track sessions?

People who have tried both the Red and the Black say that there is actually only a 300 RPM spool-up difference between the two. I have no personal experience with the FP Black, but still it is hard for me to believe that there is only a 300 RPM spool difference.

Don't get me wrong, the FP Red, especially in ball bearing format must be a great turbo in its own right. I have the older, journal bearing Red on my car. On a stock 2-Liter motor the JB Red is just about 400-500 too slow of a spooler for my purposes.

Thus, admittedly, for me at least the 300 RPM quicker spooling BB Red would probably come closer to my ideal for the canyon carving that I do ......but still no cigar. Close but no cigar. Close is good in Horseshoes, but not in turbos.

Don't get me wrong, the BB Red fitted with a FP 25# actuator may be just the right choice for your application. It is an incredible turbo. I am just not so sure that it would be ideal for all types of driving on a stock 2-Liter motor.

I realize that I have just gone and made you more confused. It is just that $2500 for a turbo is a lot of money. You want to make sure that you research thoroughly before making a final choice.

There is a lot to be said for a journal bearing turbo such as the BBK-Full as a pump gas turbo in my opinion. Although it is journal bearing, it has proven to be extremely reliable. It is a multi-purpose beast: One of the better pump gas turbos and a lot of guys love it for track applications such as road racing as well.

I know that you said that you want room to grow, but still you are going to have to live with and enjoy driving your car in the meantime, until you finally do an engine build.

Last edited by sparky; Oct 21, 2012 at 06:27 AM.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Great points, and thank you.
But I may take it to the strip once or twice to see what I can run with it. I am doing a ton of research on the two. It sounds like I should go with a red instead of the HTA green because I want to hit at least 450whp. I know tho the closer I get to 500 the closer I am getting to make it a little iffy being on a stock 2.0 block.
I will probably be going with the fp BB red but now the black got thrown in the mix. My car is black so does that matter?
In my SIG you will see what my setup will be besides the turbo obviously.
Still on the Red or black.
Oh btw I will be running on 93 pump on a stock block. E85 is way to scattered around Lower WI.

Last edited by zenoise; Oct 21, 2012 at 07:49 AM.
Old Oct 22, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolving Member

So I still dont know what wastegate actuator I should get. I am running 93 pump gas. just a street car driven hard. I want to be at or above 450 whp with my mods listed in my SIG. Im geussing I will be peaking @ 26-28psi but I really wont know that until my tune.
Any help would be great. thanx
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a JB red before my JB black and the spool difference was only 200-300rpms, didn't really even notice it much. I say go with a BB black.

Oh and go with the 25psi wastegate

Quick Reply: Fp red wastegate actuator