Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Misfire and low boost reading

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2004, 05:20 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Exclamation Misfire and low boost reading

Man I ran into this problem today for the first time in my life, and wouldn't you know it would happen to me just two days before our Dynoflashing in Houston. My plugs are just like 1 1/2 week old NGK copper BPR8ES's, I know everyone is going to tell me that I need the Iridiums but plain and simple I can't afford them, I had the plugs gapped at .028 and got the misfire today so I took them down to .026 like I had my old BPR7ES's and it was running fine, but now my boost will only read up to 15psi no matter what I do with my mbc, which scares the hell out of me and I get the misfire in upper rpms, sometimes... It's like I have a boost leak somewhere, I am going to check the little crush fittings that came with my Autometer mechanical gauge tomorrow before I hit the road for Houston, the gauge was reading fine yesterday, then I had to reinstall it and I think one of those little brass crush fittings got messed up. Boy do I hope this is the problem. I know the mbc is good, it has always worked flawlessly and I checked all of my vacum lines and they looked to be in the same order that they always have. You know I really intended for the car to be in perfect working order for this weekend but leave it to my luck for some mystery problem to pop it's dirty little head up at the worst possible moment. Any suggestions?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So...why not put your old BPR7ES's in and see what happens? If the result changes in any way at least that points you in the right direction. Check all your hose clamps and if you have an aftermarket BOV that uses a flange (including 1G DSM) you may want to make sure the gasket is seated right.
Old Feb 5, 2004, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bring a spark plug wrench and gapping tool with you to your appointment

26 is too small

I like 24

I am sure you just have a small boost gauge problem - how is it reading vacum?
Old Feb 5, 2004, 10:07 PM

If 26 is too small, then isn't 24 "way" too small?

Cuz if I'm not incorrect, 0.024" is smaller than 0.026"
Old Feb 6, 2004, 05:50 AM
Evolved Member

Re: Misfire and low boost reading

Originally posted by mitsuorder
Man I ran into this problem today for the first time in my life, and wouldn't you know it would happen to me just two days before our Dynoflashing in Houston. My plugs are just like 1 1/2 week old NGK copper BPR8ES's, I know everyone is going to tell me that I need the Iridiums but plain and simple I can't afford them, I had the plugs gapped at .028 and got the misfire today so I took them down to .026 like I had my old BPR7ES's and it was running fine, but now my boost will only read up to 15psi no matter what I do with my mbc, which scares the hell out of me and I get the misfire in upper rpms, sometimes... It's like I have a boost leak somewhere, I am going to check the little crush fittings that came with my Autometer mechanical gauge tomorrow before I hit the road for Houston, the gauge was reading fine yesterday, then I had to reinstall it and I think one of those little brass crush fittings got messed up. Boy do I hope this is the problem. I know the mbc is good, it has always worked flawlessly and I checked all of my vacum lines and they looked to be in the same order that they always have. You know I really intended for the car to be in perfect working order for this weekend but leave it to my luck for some mystery problem to pop it's dirty little head up at the worst possible moment. Any suggestions?
http://www.machevo.com/machevo/deirsppl.html

68$ for a 30K car is not expensive
Old Feb 6, 2004, 01:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by jw461
If 26 is too small, then isn't 24 "way" too small?

Cuz if I'm not incorrect, 0.024" is smaller than 0.026"
He meant too large.
Old Feb 9, 2004, 09:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Well SuperchargedGTZ $68 for my current budget is too expensive, don't put that in my face man. Getting back to the intended topic, turns out the little crush washer that sealed the vac line to the fitting in that led to the gauge wasn't properly seated, easily fixed with a new one. Guys I can't even begin to describe the effects of my Dynoflash, OMG, Al is a true pro at this. I will do a write up or something to do justice to my excellent experience with Al this past Saturday but I have some college stuff to attend to for the better part of the day. Thank you Al and thank you to all who provided constructive feedback to my previous problem. Oh and btw my car was putting out rediculously low knock according to Al's knock link with 93 octane and my BPR8ES's.