Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exhaust Manifold Stud Holes Stripped

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2012, 06:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust Manifold Stud Holes Stripped

I just searched through 10 pages and wasn't able to find the answers I am looking for.

I stripped out at least one exhaust manifold stud when I replaced my exhaust manifold. I re-tapped all the threads before installing new MAP exhaust manifold studs. I then torqued them down in the pattern, sequence, and specs mentioned in the FSM (finishing with: M8's @ 28 ft lbs, M10s @ 47ft lbs). Everything was fine until about a month or 2 later I noticed oil was leaking onto the exhaust manifold, when I went to re-torque the nuts at least one or two are stripped out.

------------------------------
My Questions are:

1. Do all exhaust manifold studs have an oil passage behind them? If not which do? Are some oil and some coolant?

2. If I drill out the hole to re-tap or use a helicoil kit, won't I get shavings into the oil passages ? Also need to break off the helicoil tab after installing it, wont that get into the oil passage as well? How do I prevent the shavings from getting into the oil passages, without having to remove the head?

3. What RTV do you use on the exhaust manifold studs, to prevent the oil from leaking through?

I plan on using a right angle air drill to drill out the holes. If I missed anything or if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,

Last edited by boostnMA; Oct 25, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by boostnMA
I just searched through 10 pages and wasn't able to find the answers I am looking for.

I stripped out at least one exhaust manifold stud when I replaced my exhaust manifold. I re-tapped all the threads before installing new MAP exhaust manifold studs. I then torqued them down in the pattern, sequence, and specs mentioned in the FSM (finishing with: M8's @ 28 ft lbs, M10s @ 47ft lbs). Everything was fine until about a month or 2 later I noticed oil was leaking onto the exhaust manifold, when I went to re-torque the nuts at least one or two are stripped out.

------------------------------
My Questions are:

1. Do all exhaust manifold studs have an oil passage behind them? If not which do? Are some oil and some coolant?

2. If I drill out the hole to re-tap or use a helicoil kit, won't I get shavings into the oil passages ? Also need to break off the helicoil tab after installing it, wont that get into the oil passage as well? How do I prevent the shavings from getting into the oil passages, without having to remove the head?

3. What RTV do you use on the exhaust manifold studs, to prevent the oil from leaking through?

I plan on using a right angle air drill to drill out the holes. If I missed anything or if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
1)The entire bottom row has oil return galleys to the pan behind them.

2)Yes. You need to remove the valve cover and oil pan to remove the debris you created. FWIW, you already created some when you tapped them in the first place.

3)High temp copper.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by TurboTravis
1)The entire bottom row has oil return galleys to the pan behind them.

2)Yes. You need to remove the valve cover and oil pan to remove the debris you created. FWIW, you already created some when you tapped them in the first place.

3)High temp copper.
good info to know, I had no idea oil was behind the studs