Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Speed density or no...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2012, 02:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speed density or no...

So I've ordered the last bit of parts for my 2.3 build. I'm going to be using the stock 8 turbo for now because I've accumulated quite the credit debt trying to ensure i cover every aspect where error could possibly occur. Two questions though...

1) Will I be okay with the stock intercooler? Only for a little while until I can save up a little bit more for a new one.

2) Should I go SD or stick with the maf. Eventually I will get a 6262 but I just can't afford it right now. I could always save up and do the turbo and switch to SD at the same time though. If you do suggest going SD with stock turbo, I've heard of people using IAT and also using a fuel temp sensor instead. This is where I started getting confused.

Any help would be great guys. I just want to get some other opinions to make sure I've covered absolutely everything before taking it to get tuned, and if not then what I should consider or think about. Thanks again
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I am happy I switched to speed density, no complaints here at all. Using fuel temp instead of AIT sensor.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:06 PM

I am real interested in this as well. What are the benefits of SD? And what do you need and how much will it cost if you know that would be great. Thanks
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sil80evo
I am real interested in this as well. What are the benefits of SD? And what do you need and how much will it cost if you know that would be great. Thanks
I'm pretty sure you need to get a 3 or 4 bar map sensor, an IAT sensor unless you go off the fuel temp such as above, and a tune of course.

you can get an omni 3 bar for 90 bucks or cheaper, IAT kit is 55 from aem
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sil80evo
Need a 3 bar or higher MAP sensor and a tune. I did it myself and all I did was switch intake pipes.

There are no drawbacks for running speed density (for me) and it allows you to run a VTA BOV and any intake setup you desire.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
I am happy I switched to speed density, no complaints here at all. Using fuel temp instead of AIT sensor.
That's good to hear man. Are you running a larger intercooler with the stock turbo? My buddy was telling me charge temps would be higher running off an IAT sensor, I'm not sure about the fuel temp. This is the reason for my questioning about the intercooler as well.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 03:18 PM
Evolved Member

Running a 3" ETS intercooler
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
The only requirement for sd is map and some form or kind of temp input. Stock parts and stoker motors make no difference. One benefit to sd is air is "metered" inside the intake manifold. Maf obviously is before the turbo. This changes your set up options and doesn't require a recirc valve. One downside is the jitter if you have a car that likes to putt low rpms ie 2.3 with small turbo. The jitter may bother you. It bothered me. I found a different sd set up that didn't experience the issue though.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
The only requirement for sd is map and some form or kind of temp input. Stock parts and stoker motors make no difference. One benefit to sd is air is "metered" inside the intake manifold. Maf obviously is before the turbo. This changes your set up options and doesn't require a recirc valve. One downside is the jitter if you have a car that likes to putt low rpms ie 2.3 with small turbo. The jitter may bother you. It bothered me. I found a different sd set up that didn't experience the issue though.
jitter? Please elaborate
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Frew
jitter? Please elaborate
Not everyone experiences the jitter. My understanding is that it is a bit of a stutter at like 2600 RPM. I am not in the population that experiences the jitter though.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 04:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
I already have a 4bar. How is the fuel temp utilized in place of the IAT?

I was runnin vta before ripping my motor out with no problems. I would like to hear more about this jitterbug youre speaking of though.

The engine's being built during this thanksgiving holiday. I plan to accomplish a lot during that time but I hope to save up some more money until around christmas holidays where hopefully santa drops a nice buschur fmic under my tree
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by JohnBradley
I use the fuel temp sensor to mimic an IAT since its already in the car. The IAT reads gross temp not average. It can heat soak, be subject to a meth jet to close, all sorts of little issues. The actual trim table in the Evo ECU really isnt setup for IAT trim anyway. It has an algorithm that allows for minor alterations to fueling since its set for a MAF, and then trims timing vs air temp.

Fuel temp is more or less constant. The fuel heatsoaks going thru the rail hits the tank and then is sent forward again. It takes 15 minutes to get full heat into the fuel system (ask anyone with an A1000). It is a rough average of engine bay temp which is what the MAF does factory. I have done exhaustive testing and see no more than 5-6* variation from fuel temp as a source to what the MAF would read in the corner of the engine bay.
Some info on using the fuel temp instead of a AIT. An advantage to the fuel temp is that it is just one less part to fail/not work correctly.
Old Nov 6, 2012, 05:07 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
the jitter is a odd hesitation that goes int o the fuel ipw calculation somewhere some how idk.. I experienced it at 2200-2500. IX's were supposed to be devoid of the jitter, however I had it.

Not everyone experiences it, which means tehres common ground in those that do, but noone has narrowed that down afaik.

Its light throttle cruising in the city like 3-4th gear where its noticable. probably not an issue for most people depending how you drive. im just really conservative in the city.

theres a good chance you wont have it. but it can be there

air temp has to be accounted for whether it be using the fuel temp in place of the air temp reading, or using a gmiat. I use a gmiat welded in my uicp. Some prefer it one way or another. What I have seen is its up to the tuner. ER prefers fuel temp, and so does TSC.

there is a zillion threads on setting up sspeed density on the stock ecu, if you have the time, you can set it up yourself. Its easier imho..
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo8426
Some info on using the fuel temp instead of a AIT. An advantage to the fuel temp is that it is just one less part to fail/not work correctly.
that was exactly what ive been looking for in regards to that haha thanks man i appreciate it and you are absolutely correct there.
Evolving Member

Ive been looking into SD as well, but if you were running MAF before and your trying to save money at this point there really is no need to go SD. You could switch later with no adverse affects. You can run your stock intercooler. It will hurt your power levels some but with just an 8 turbo its not a big deal. If you had a 6262 you would def need a bigger IC to up the boost and get efficient intake temps. IMO.

Quick Reply: Speed density or no...