Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evolution 7 Stock Intake Vs aftermarket intake

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evolution 7 Stock Intake Vs aftermarket intake

Is there any difference in power between factory intake with K&N panel filter or other recommended panel filters vs aftermarket cold air intake? I personally love my intake & don't want to change it if there are minimal power difference, it wouldn't be worth the time...
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:02 AM

I would also like to know this. And ahhh a Brisbane Member, I'm on the Gold Coast
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:04 AM
Evolving Member

I have heard the drop ins do make a slight difference over stock.. the stock intake is perfectly fine for upto 300whp which it then becomes restrictive (220ish KW for us aussies hehe ), after that you may need a open filter(pod or something) to get the most out of the car.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Brisbane , how do you find your evolution 7 kamakazy kid? I asked many mechanics they have said, K&N panel filter is not a good filter for our evos due to the oil ruining the sensors... Should I leave the factory filter or change to BMC? My plan is to do some bolt ons & tune, turbo back exhaust, front mount intercooler kit, tune. Do we need to upgrade the fuel pump etc? I just want some power & keep reliability..

Last edited by EvoTurboTurk; Nov 20, 2012 at 02:30 PM.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 08:10 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EvoTurboTurk
Brisbane , how do you find your evolution 7 kamakazy kid? I asked many mechanics they have said, K&N panel filter is not a good filter for our evos due to the oil ruining the sensors... Should I leave the factory filter or change to BMC? My plan is to do some bolt ons & tune, turbo back exhaust, front mount intercooler kit, tune. Do we need to upgrade the fuel pump etc? I just want some power & keep reliability..

If you are currently all stock, I would recommend
Intake: get an apexi power intake (pod), read up on these on this forum and on the web, dry filter so no oil, prob one of the best intakes i think available.

exhaust: one with a nice note(up to your personal preference) just make sure from full exhaust is 3" inch with 100cel hi flow cat.

stock front mount should be enough unless upgrading turbo edit** upgrading cooler piping is good for gains too, particular lower side

after exhaust and intake you should look to get a boost controller(manual or electronic) as well as a tune, and yes a a fuel pump is needed (99.95% of people use a 255 warlbro
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:16 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by elim0
If you are currently all stock, I would recommend
Intake: get an apexi power intake (pod), read up on these on this forum and on the web, dry filter so no oil, prob one of the best intakes i think available.

exhaust: one with a nice note(up to your personal preference) just make sure from full exhaust is 3" inch with 100cel hi flow cat.

stock front mount should be enough unless upgrading turbo edit** upgrading cooler piping is good for gains too, particular lower side

after exhaust and intake you should look to get a boost controller(manual or electronic) as well as a tune, and yes a a fuel pump is needed (99.95% of people use a 255 warlbro
if upgrading fuel pump then you must upgrade injectors also?

does the power intake pod fit in the factory airbox?

Most likely getting the xforce turbo back, removing the cat maybe . Any power difference with 100cel vs straight pipe?

HDI GT2 intercooler kit, isn't expensive & nice quality kit...

Going ahead with Reflash, don't see the point in spending alot of money for a full custom ecu. Many tuners said they make same gains, just one has more features. Recommended boost controller?

http://www.evolutionoz.net/forums/in...howtopic=69197, I don't feel safe entering my drivers licence number... do aussies use this one or evolutionoz more?

Last edited by EvoTurboTurk; Nov 21, 2012 at 09:37 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:59 AM
Evolving Member

nah i used ozevo.net for a bit, but no one really responds and even though this is a US site its been so much more helpful. this forum has almost any question even the most random ones have solutions for.

nah you dont need injectors with basic bolt ons, stock ones hold fine. google the "apexi power intake pod". if any pod will fit in stock airbox its this, its probably the smallest pod you can buy to be honest.
yes there is quite a bit of gain with straight pipe vs 100cel cat, but unless its legal in QLD cos in VIC melb its a 10k fine i think ? not to mention massive smoke cloud that follows you and a very very loud exhaust.. i dont weigh up the gains to be worth that lol ! 100cel is the most flowing of cats (100cel, 200, 300 etc..)
and yes a flash is all you need, our ecus are already pretty intelligent.
boost controller i run a HKS evc5. depending on your budget electronic is better but most cost a lot $$ .. a good one a few friends run is turbosmart e-boost-2.

also i would recommend you get rid of the stock BOV, and get a metal 8MR one as i've heard the stock plastic one does not hold boost very well after mods ~

Last edited by elim0; Nov 22, 2012 at 08:08 AM.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

nah i used ozevo.net for a bit, but no one really responds and even though this is a US site its been so much more helpful. this forum has almost any question even the most random ones have solutions for.

nah you dont need injectors with basic bolt ons, stock ones hold fine. google the "apexi power intake pod". if any pod will fit in stock airbox its this, its probably the smallest pod you can buy to be honest.
yes there is quite a bit of gain with straight pipe vs 100cel cat, but unless its legal in QLD cos in VIC melb its a 10k fine i think ? not to mention massive smoke cloud that follows you and a very very loud exhaust.. i dont weigh up the gains to be worth that lol ! 100cel is the most flowing of cats (100cel, 200, 300 etc..)
and yes a flash is all you need, our ecus are already pretty intelligent.
boost controller i run a HKS evc5. depending on your budget electronic is better but most cost a lot $$ .. a good one a few friends run is turbosmart e-boost-2.

also i would recommend you get rid of the stock BOV, and get a metal 8MR one as i've heard the stock plastic one does not hold boost very well after mods ~
Same in QLD $10,000 fine! I will stick with the 100cel, it will not be worth going straight pipe for only a minimal gain & the risk, smell of poison & loudness!

I purchased a GFB Respons TMS, not sure whether to vent 100% or half...

I will also get the apexi power intake pod, not to sure about the hks evc5.. I will check turbosmart.. Cheers!

Also what size injectors are factory evo 7?

Last edited by EvoTurboTurk; Nov 23, 2012 at 06:04 PM.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:15 AM
Evolving Member

Same in QLD $10,000 fine! I will stick with the 100cel, it will not be worth going straight pipe for only a minimal gain & the risk, smell of poison & loudness!

I purchased a GFB Respons TMS, not sure whether to vent 100% or half...

I will also get the apexi power intake pod, not to sure about the hks evc5.. I will check turbosmart.. Cheers!

Also what size injectors are factory evo 7?
yeah check out other ones if you like, greddy pro spec 2 is good simple piece too i think..
i think the stock injectors are 560cc - think it should be enough.. change when you get bigger turbo / or e85
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

yeah check out other ones if you like, greddy pro spec 2 is good simple piece too i think..
i think the stock injectors are 560cc - think it should be enough.. change when you get bigger turbo / or e85
Sweet, I have the jdm evo 7. Not sure whether it is gsr or rs2... It has electric windows, not sure whether its halogen or hid light, electric side mirrors close & open....

How strong are the 5 speed gearbox in the evo 7?

Last edited by EvoTurboTurk; Nov 28, 2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Sweet, I have the jdm evo 7. Not sure whether it is gsr or rs2... It has electric windows, xenon light, electric side mirrors close & open....

How strong are the 5 speed gearbox in the evo 7?
im not too sure im pretty sure you have a gsr if you have aircon and power windows
also not too sure how strong the gearbox is but i've heard its stronger than the 6speed ones the 8/9 have ? not too sure though
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:35 AM

mitsu 5 speeds are generally good, the transfer cases seem to suck though, and it's the inverse with the 6 speed, tranny isn't that great with mods but the tcase seems to be better
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:51 PM
Evolving Member

Thats true, which parts do I buy in order to rebuild & keep the transfer case strong..
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Thats true, which parts do I buy in order to rebuild & keep the transfer case strong..
change fluids when they are due. let everything warm up before driving hard. and most importantly, dont launch the car lol
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

change fluids when they are due. let everything warm up before driving hard. and most importantly, dont launch the car lol
No problem, I service it every 5,000kms. Allow the car to warm, & don't launch otherwise rarely. However I do give it a hit now & then, & the feeling is .

Last edited by EvoTurboTurk; Nov 28, 2012 at 03:08 AM.