Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Evo Transmission Inquiry

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Evo Transmission Inquiry

Hello everyone,

This my first ever thread and post and I hope its not the last.
At the moment I have 2 Evos. An 8 Mr and 9 Mr. The 8 is back in my home country in Qatar and I have had some MAJOR modifications done to it. Lets just say that Buschur Racing has done a wonderful job and I'd like to thank them for their top-notch products.

Now when I first had my 8, it had the 5 speed transmission (I believe the MR came with the 6 speed in the USA but we have different specs in the Middle East). The transmission began to grind in 3rd 4th and 5th so I decided to replace the 5 gear transmission on my car with the 6 speed. I'm assuming the 6 speed on my car currently is the same one as the ones on the 06 and 07 Evos. When I compared the ratios from the 5 speed and 6 speed, the seemed exactly the same. Throughout all the gears, I'd hit the rev limiter at the same exact speed with both transmissions. However, from what I've read in the forum and what I've heard, the ratios differ in both transmissions especially from 3rd gear onwards. Now the evo 9 MR I currently own is obviously with the regular stock 6 speed transmission, and I currently live in the US so ofcourse it's the US model. I haven't tried hitting the rev limiter in 4th gear yet; however, 3rd and 4th seems reasonably similar in terms of ratio as both the 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions I had on my car back in Qatar. Obviously these comparisions I've made are merely my personal speculations and are not scientific in any way or another. The last thing I need is to get flamed on my first thread.

What I'm trying to say is, are there major differences in ratios between the 5 speed and 6 speed, especially in 4th gear? I've heard that the 6 speed will not cross the quarter mile in 4th gear, unlike the 5 speed. Is this true? If this is true, can the 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear on a 6 speed be replaced with the ones on the 5 speed transmission?

Thank you all for reading this essay I've written that has taken some of your precious time, I'm sure, and I thank you for your constructive replies.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://www.teamrip.com/gear_ratio_options.html this should help a little.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tom Stout
Thank you. This did help slight; however, there is still the issue of the gears replacement
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:39 AM
Evolved Member

What about gear replacement?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
he has asked whehter or not he can use the 3-4-5 gears from a 5spd in his 6spd transmission. he asked it in the last paragraph of his original post.

OP: I don't know the answer, sorry.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Tom Stout
What about gear replacement?
Is it possible to replace 3rd 4th and 5th gear from the 6 speed transmission with the 5 speed?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure. Its well known that the 6 speeds don't like over 400hp. They fit an extra gear in the same amount of space and so they have problems. Many people on here have trannsmisions from sheppard racing. Give them a call and they can answer any questions or hook you up.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:02 PM
Evolved Member

try emailing some of the reputable transmission places that work on evo's. I'm sure they could help you out.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:29 AM
Evolving Member

put a 5 spd in it. build it right first time(how u want it), drive proper, and keep up on fluid maint. and clutch bleeding. all issues solved and should last you
Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chad99evo
put a 5 spd in it. build it right first time(how u want it), drive proper, and keep up on fluid maint. and clutch bleeding. all issues solved and should last you
I understand that installing the 5 speed would be the ideal and safer way to go. Yet I've always liked the 6 speed transmissions due to their cruising capabilities. My car is meant to be a bad *** daily driven car, that is why I would prefer to keep the 6 speed and look for any sort of upgradeable aspects that may be done to it. I've contacted a few transmission builders in the US and I'm waiting for their replies.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

i do like how they drive. see if there is a way to run a cooler on it and help with oiling