Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Who else has blown off intercooler hoses?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its never happened to me and I don't want to hijack, but i was curious how the car behaves when they do blow off??
Old Feb 10, 2004, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by spicytuna
Its never happened to me and I don't want to hijack, but i was curious how the car behaves when they do blow off??
There is a very loud pop and the car bogs and dies.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 03:46 PM

its happened to me twice now and my car only has 1600 miles. the first time it happened i was on the freeway, i just hit boost and it popped, started to bog and died. I had to pull over to the shoulder where it was really dark. I popped the hood and couldn't see anything. I figured a plug wire popped out because it kinda felt like i was running on three cylinders. Called a couple of buddies out to bring some tools and a flashlight. Found the problem with a flashlight. Happened again yesterday same thing, on the freeway just hit boost again and it popped off. I knew right away what the problem was but this time the " service light soon" came on. I went home disconnected the battery for like 3 mins and light went away. Does anyone know of any other hose clamps that are stronger besides the t clamps?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

it used to happen to me all the time in my eclipse GS-T
Old Mar 17, 2004, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

It happened to me twice. The second time, I was on a bridge with traffic. I was pissed off. True that....the phillips will not tighten those clamps enough so I used a socket and tightened that mother down. But later on I will upgrade to sampco hoses. BTW I was talking to Shiv at Vishnu about the hoses. He said that he noticed that with higher boost, the clamps on the intercooler hoses has more tendency to pop out and they are a ***** to get at.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Mine pops off at the throttle body. I think i got it fixed now. I wiped everything down to make it dry and really clamped it down.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

It happend to me about 10 times already. The last time around, I was entering a parkway, and hose popped off, causing me to run extremely rich, and to try to help keep the car from stalling, all while worrying about heavy rush hour traffic around me. The next exit was just about a mile ahead, and it was a good thing a highway nypd patrol cop helped guide me to the exit, because traffic was heavy, but moving quickly.

I get out of my car, and I see my bumper around the muffler BLACK. A few days later, my plugs fouled out.

Ken
Old Mar 17, 2004, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Only happened to me once.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Happened to me a few times I carry a 1/4 drive ratchet, extension, 8mm, and 10mm sockets. Also if you don't plan on removing hoses frequently spray the pipes with some cheap aerosol hairspray when you put them back together.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

You need to tighten the bolts with a 10mm socket. The screwdriver will not be strong enough and your hose will blow off again like mine did...
Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:12 PM

You gotta love boost!!!! Mine did it one time...in the rain, about 1 am about 15 miles from no where.....that sucked
Old Mar 17, 2004, 05:59 PM

does anybody know where I can pick up the T bolt clamps. I tried a search under autozone but couldn't find anything. Did you guys order them online?
Old Mar 17, 2004, 06:55 PM
Evolving Member

It happened to me too. I was scared as hell cause I thought I blew my motor when I heard the loud pop It was late and dark out. Once I found out my upper i/c pipe had popped off the TB. I was at ease. I too didn't have any tools to retighten it and it was a pain to drive it home. I was doing 30mph or less on a 55mph zone with the hazzards on and driving on the shoulder like a granny. I was so embarass to drive it in that way. Taught me a good lesson to throw the tools back in the trunk after installing mods before taking it out for a test drive. Hasn't happen since.
Old Mar 17, 2004, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

yea I was embarred to when my girl was in my 2 month old car.... I heared a loud pop and had dark black smoke billowing out of my hood and all the check lights came on.... lost my O ring also, good thing I had a couple extra from an intake in my trunk....always carry tools!!! and a flashlight

-shahul
Old Mar 17, 2004, 11:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by CarPhoto.net
You need to tighten the bolts with a 10mm socket. The screwdriver will not be strong enough and your hose will blow off again like mine did...
This man knows what he's talking about. I've taken my hoses apart many times for installs, and they've never blown off. You have to really ratchet the thing down as tight as you can, but don't cross thread the thing.

Quick Reply: Who else has blown off intercooler hoses?