Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
Hell yes! Very useful for the community!
98.15%
No way, I still don't know what filter I need!
1.85%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2014 | 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Im just curious, what are you using to cut open the filters?
Old May 6, 2014 | 08:38 PM
EvoM Community Team
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by TommiM
Im just curious, what are you using to cut open the filters?
A lego lightsaber.

Just a cutting disc on my dremel.

Old May 7, 2014 | 06:16 AM
Evolved Member

top ten evom thread right here.
Old May 7, 2014 | 07:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
top ten evom thread right here.
Yes sir. Because of this thread I now only run Royal Purple oil filters on the evo and the wifes Jeep.
Old May 7, 2014 | 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

i still use all the amsoil stuff, but i have a dealer account.. so
Old May 15, 2014 | 05:05 AM

WIX are readily available at most auto parts stores here in TX so that is usually my go-to item
Old Jun 22, 2014 | 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

wow that's a lot of testing done by 1 individual.

The data actually matches my personal ranking system out of the 3 I've tried from the list.

OEM = Worst
K&N = Slightly better than OEM
WIX = Noticeably better than OEM

Based on pure driving feel.

However, I wouldn't apply the same ranking system for any random car, this is only for the evo. On the Mercedes I've worked on, I found MANN oil filters to be superior to the WIX filters. Don't even use wix on European cars....

And for the engine air filter for the evo, I would choose WIX over MANN, I've tried the MANN and it was cheap air filter maybe worse than oem but just had their little patented seal.

So it really depends on the type of filter and type of car for my personal ranking.
Old Jul 18, 2014 | 04:56 PM
Evolved Member

I've always used the K&N HP-1008 & I missed having it included in this amazing comparison. As I'm reading the HP-1008 specs http://www.knfilters.com/search/prod...x?prod=hp-1008
It's media type is cellulose, does that make it inferior to synthetic media filters?

Last edited by foxbat; Jul 18, 2014 at 05:09 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2014 | 05:12 PM
EvoM Community Team

It looks like a larger version of the K&N I tested, the PS-1010 which is manufactured by Champion Laboratories.

Without testing it, I have no idea how well it would perform. If I was to venture a guess, I would think that the media is the same in both the HP-1008 and the PS-1010. Especially since the site lists them both as cellulose.

To answer your question, my testing revealed that the synthetic and synthetic blend did perform considerably better than cellulose.
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 02:00 PM
Evolved Member

So the OEM bypass pressure is 15psi?

I tried to check with Amsoil to see if there is an EAO that had the same width and thread as the Ea15k20, and the response I got was (yes, but) nothing that would meet the same bypass pressures.
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 02:07 PM
EvoM Community Team

So the OEM bypass pressure is 15psi?

I tried to check with Amsoil to see if there is an EAO that had the same width and thread as the Ea15k20, and the response I got was (yes, but) nothing that would meet the same bypass pressures.
OEM Denso is 13psi.
Ea15k20 is 8-11psi.

The Amsoil one would trip earlier, but that's mostly during pressure spikes & warm-up and if your filter is really clogged.

Did they say which filter it was? If it's one from Champion Laboratories, I would bet it's going to have a similar pressure range as the Ea15k20.
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 02:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
OEM Denso is 13psi.
Ea15k20 is 8-11psi.

The Amsoil one would trip earlier, but that's mostly during pressure spikes & warm-up and if your filter is really clogged.

Did they say which filter it was? If it's one from Champion Laboratories, I would bet it's going to have a similar pressure range as the Ea15k20.
no they seem really damn reluctant to give out any info. i pressed the matter and got a response back of "Nothing replaces the ea15k20 filter. "

The higher the pressure range the better right?
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 02:25 PM
EvoM Community Team

no they seem really damn reluctant to give out any info. i pressed the matter and got a response back of "Nothing replaces the ea15k20 filter. "
And you wonder why so many people are quick to put on their tinfoil hats.

The higher the pressure range the better right?
Tripping the bypass is a safety switch to allow the engine to remain lubricated in the event of a clog or a lazy person that doesn't change their filter. It also allows the system to keep oil circulating when there are spikes in pressure differential (such as starting the motor) so in reality, I like to think that tripping the bypass earlier is fine.

The Bypass Valve

Under ideal conditions, the bypass valve will never open. When it opens, the oil by passes the filter and goes on through to the motor, obviously unfiltered. It is a safety valve. However, in real operation, it opens often.

One example is when you start the motor when cold. The oil is thick and does not pass easily through the filtration medium, thus building up to a high pressure drop. So, the bypass valve opens to prevent oil-starvation of the motor. How long it stays open is dependent on how cold the oil is and how long it takes to get near operating temperature. When the pressure drop across the filtration medium drops below the bypass valve setting.

Another example can occur when the motor is fully warmed. At idle, the oil pressure is about 15 to 20 psi, and the pressure drop across the filter is about 1 or 2 psi. You take off towards the redline, and quickly build oil pressure. During that full-throttle acceleration the pressure drop across the filter will exceed the bypass setting, and send unfiltered oil to the motor, until the pressure across the filter has time to equalize. During a drag race, shifting through the gears, the bypass will open several times.

A third example, which you should never experience with frequent oil and filter changes, is when a filter becomes clogged. A spin-on filter can commonly hold 10 to 20 grams of trash before it becomes fully clogged. The bypass valve opening is the only way to keep the motor from becoming oil-starved if the filter becomes clogged.

According to Purolator, the Honda OEM filter bypass setting is 12 to 14 psi. WIX (NAPA Gold) builds their oil filters with a bypass setting of 8 to 11 psi, while AC Delco builds theirs to a setting of 11 to 17 psi. How much do these differences matter? I don't think anyone knows, even the engineers, and each has its own set of advantages and disadvantages.

If you do lots of racing, you're probably better off with a higher bypass setting.
If you do lots of *cold* starting, especially in the winter, or seldom change your filter, I think you're better off with a lower bypass setting. However, with few exceptions, bypass pressures for spin-on filters run in the 8 to 17 psi range, and any of them should work acceptably.
Source: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...&Number=309756
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 02:26 PM
Evolved Member

Further discussion, sorry if this was already brought up:

I didn't 100% understand the testing procedure lol, but would it be correct to say this test purely tests the quality of the filter media itself? I'm not faulting the test in any way, I just want to be clear.

i.e., if we're thinking about bypass pressures, and even the straight volume of the oil filter, could it be said that, maybe a slightly worse media + higher bypass pressure would ultimately filter better than a better media with really low bypass pressure? and similar scenario for sheer surface area/amount of filter media?
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 02:27 PM
EvoM Community Team

Would it be correct to say this test purely tests the quality of the filter media itself?
Yep!

i.e., if we're thinking about bypass pressures, and even the straight volume of the oil filter, could it be said that, maybe a slightly worse media + higher bypass pressure would ultimately filter better than a better media with really low bypass pressure? and similar scenario for sheer surface area/amount of filter media?
Filtration is always better than no filtration.

EDIT: That was a bit cryptic of a response. If you are constantly tripping the bypass, you are not filtering your oil. If you are putting oil through the filter (larger surface area can probably handle a greater differential in pressure as it will lower the pressure of the system since it holds a higher volume of fluid) you are filtering it, versus a smaller filter that can't handle the pressure differential (regardless of PSI rating on the bypass filter) and sends oil past the filter via the bypass valve to keep the motor lubricated.

Last edited by golgo13; Oct 16, 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)