Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.
View Poll Results: Was this thread helpful?
Hell yes! Very useful for the community!
98.15%
No way, I still don't know what filter I need!
1.85%
Voters: 325. You may not vote on this poll

The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2014 | 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
Yep!

Filtration is always better than no filtration.

glad i'm understanding it correctly lol. there are pros and cons it seems though. just wish amsoil would tell me what damn EAO fits and what its bypass is set at. i think our cars (and most) can fit a way longer filter if we wanted to
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

also can we get a damn spec sheet for all the AMSOIL oil filters? I swear it's impossible to get any info.. ie i was on ea15k09 on my corolla, discovered ea15k51 fit, and now discovered eao34 will fit
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 03:25 PM
EvoM Community Team
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by kyoo
also can we get a damn spec sheet for all the AMSOIL oil filters? I swear it's impossible to get any info.. ie i was on ea15k09 on my corolla, discovered ea15k51 fit, and now discovered eao34 will fit
Gathering data took a lot of work.

You can try and reach out to my contact there:

Darryn Wallace
Sr. Technical Service Representative
AMSOIL INC.
ADDRESS: 1101 Susquehanna Avenue, Superior, WI 54880
E-MAIL: dwallace@amsoil.com
PHONE: 715-399-8324
FAX: 715-392-3097
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 04:38 PM
Evolved Member

i'll give it a shot, thanks.

long *** belated update on this but:

i dont think pennzoil makes pennzoil ultra anymore at all - they make like platinum ultra, which is some sort of natural gas hybrid synthetic, not as good as the real thing.

i did do an oil test with PU on the Mini, not too much to gather from it though except that it ran pretty well and also it's on the thinner side of things slightly.
Old Oct 16, 2014 | 10:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
they seem really damn reluctant to give out any info.
That is annoying.

Originally Posted by foxbat
I've always used the K&N HP-1008 & I missed having it included in this amazing comparison.
If you want to use one of these, look inside first, when you take it off the shelf, before buying.
I had this pic posted before, but somehow Image Shack "lost" it. So this time I wore my tin foil hat while re-uploading and re-posting. Posted both pics this time, only put up one pic before.
Anyway, look at the center tube to see if they still use louvers there instead of totally punched out holes. If it's got louvers like this one does, make sure they are open a decent amount. These you can see are mostly not open at all or are open only like a hairline crack.
At the time, I tried to get a spec from K&N on what the opening height should be. They could not or would not tell me. Haha.
A really poor thing about this is that if you installed a filter like this on your car, you probably wouldn't even notice anything was wrong. Just guessing here, but seems like it would just open the bypass valve - it would stay open all the time, your oil would be totally unfiltered. Nice thought hey?

At the time, it was the K&N HP-1008 & HP-1010, Mobil 1 M1-108 & M1-110 that were made this way (with louvers).
The one in the pics here is actually a HP-1003 which I had bought for my Toyota, so you Toyota guys take note also!

Last edited by Talonboost; Oct 16, 2014 at 11:25 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2014 | 09:46 AM
EvoM Community Team

I had seen a thread a while back about a manufacturing defect with some of the Champ Labs filters.

Pretty scary stuff.
Old Oct 17, 2014 | 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

Based on this, I bought a big box of the purolaters from pep boys through ebay for around 5 dollars per. Thanks very much.
Old Oct 17, 2014 | 12:13 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by wjamyers
Based on this, I bought a big box of the purolaters from pep boys through ebay for around 5 dollars per. Thanks very much.
I was surprised and impressed with their ability to filter within the context of my testing. I'm not a huge fan of the quality of construction, though. For the price and filtration, it's hands down the best of both worlds as far as I'm concerned.
Old Oct 17, 2014 | 02:15 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by wjamyers
I went a similar way (for my Toyota though) - bought Bosch "Premium" filters which sell for $7 every day at places like Autozone and O'Reilly.
According to the info golgo got, the Bosch filters are made by Purolater, and I see some similarities in the specs.
Golgo tested the "distance plus" which is rated differently for "efficiency".
According to the Bosch web site, the Premium is rated 99% at 20 microns particle size, per ISO 4548-12. I like it that they give the efficiency at 20 microns, because in my opinion, this is the best particle size to be talking about, and 99% is very high for this size particle, and since they give you the ISO test #, you could possibly check that out if you are curious about it.
For the "Distance Plus" and the "Long Life" they say 99.9% and 99.5% respectively, both at 40 microns. In my opinion, they should be talking about 20 microns, not 40 microns. So these 40 micron ratings leave me a little cold.
Also the Distance Plus and Long Life seem to be geared for long oil change intervals, which most of us probably don't give a hoot about.

I would imagine the "Premium" has the same poor construction quality that golgo observed. I haven't taken mine apart to look.

Last edited by Talonboost; Oct 17, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old Oct 17, 2014 | 02:28 PM
EvoM Community Team

Originally Posted by Talonboost
According to the Bosch web site, the Premium is rated 99% at 20 microns particle size, per ISO 4548-12. I like it that they give the efficiency at 20 microns, because in my opinion, this is the best particle size to be talking about, and 99% is very high for this size particle, and since they give you the ISO test #, you could possibly check that out if you are curious about it.
For the "Distance Plus" and the "Long Life" they say 99.9% and 99.5% respectively, both at 40 microns. In my opinion, they should be talking about 20 microns, not 40 microns. So these 40 micron ratings leave me a little cold.
Do you know if these were Absolute or Nominal ratings? The Distance Plus was rated at 30 microns nominal, which is mediocre.

Bosch
Manufacturer: Purolator
Part Number: D3323
Media Type: Cellulose + Synthetic Blend
Micron Rating: 30μm Nominal
By-pass Valve Rating: 14-18psi
Flow Rate: 9-11gpm
Burst Pressure: 500psi
Media Surface Area: 64sq in
Pleat Count: 53
Drain Back Value Material: Silicone
Country of Manufacture: USA

Nominal vs. Absolute Filtration:

A filter is considered nominally efficient at a certain micron level if it can remove 50 percent of particles that size. In other words, a filter that will consistently remove 50% of particles 20μm or larger is nominally efficient at 20μm.

A filter is considered to achieve absolute filtration efficiency at a certain micron level if it can remove 98.7% of particles that size. So, if a filter can remove 98.7% of particles 20μm or larger, it achieves absolute efficiency at that micron level.
A piece of cheesecloth is 99.9% Absolute @ 100μm
Old Oct 17, 2014 | 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Do you know if these were Absolute or Nominal ratings?
The ratings I gave would all be "absolute" as I understand it, because they were all 99% or higher. So, 20 micron absolute then, for the Premium.
Yeah if the 30 micron rating is only "Nominal", that seems pretty lousy.
That's why I'm suspicious of the 40 micron ratings they give. Because even though it is 40 microns absolute, if they are only "Nominal" at 30 microns, think what they might be at 20 microns! Ouch!
Old Oct 17, 2014 | 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

<<<@!1!@>>>

I could probably forget all about these crummy filters and go electric if they would equip every electric car with 3 kooky girls like the one in this video.
Seohyun driving here, 720HD video:

Last edited by Talonboost; Nov 4, 2014 at 01:18 PM. Reason: Problems with the non-official TaeTiSeo videos, so I replaced with one from the On Style YouTube channel.
Old Oct 17, 2014 | 05:05 PM
EvoM Community Team

I almost deleted this as spam as I thought your account had been hacked.

Old Oct 17, 2014 | 05:12 PM
Evolving Member

I almost deleted this as spam as I thought your account had been hacked.

Oh gee sorry - yep that's really my post. I get lots of smiles from that kind of stuff, hope you enjoy. Listen to how they say "side brake" - oops, side brake is not in this segment.

Last edited by Talonboost; Nov 4, 2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2014 | 11:23 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

i've used Purolator filters for the longest time based on my research. glad to see others have found the same.

Quick Reply: The OFFICIAL Oil Filter Testing and Results Thread (4G63T/4B11T)