Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Battery and E-brake light On.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery and E-brake light On.

OK I have searched and understand the Batt & E-brake on is a charging system issue. Now it first started doing this about 2 weeks ago then stopped so didn't think nothing of it.

Now on Friday night I was gonna do my 2.5 hour drive from Fort Hood to Dallas. Halfway there I noticed my V1(hardwired) acting weird kept turning off and on then all my interior lights started dimming along with the Batt/ebrake flashing. So I stopped at Autozone and they came out to test my Battery (1month old) and it only showed 11.9v with the car off, and 10.5 with it on. Alternator was not charging at all. So I decide to drive the car back as far as I could so the Tow would be a little cheaper. I got about 20miles out of her and stopped at a gas station. Now the headlight were super dim and the car would barely turn over. I smoked a few cigarets and cranked the car up no problem started driving back and everything kicked on normally. All my accessories working properly along with my V1, headlights were bright and made the rest of the 70 miles back no issue.

Saturday I go outside and check the battery. 13V with the car off, turned the car on and I was getting 14.5V. No fuses blown everything is in tack. Checked all the wires on the Alternator and made sure they were tight along with the starter and the Battery.

Now earlier I went for a drive and everything was perfectly fine. Up until 20 minutes into the drive the damn Battery/E-brake start flashing at me and stayed on constantly for about 3 minutes and then went away for the rest of the drive which was about 30 minutes after they started flashing. So now I have no idea what to look at or what the issue could be. If anyone has had this issue please share. Car is an 05 GSR w/115k and no previous electrical issues
Old Dec 16, 2012, 07:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
bad alternator, more specifically, sounds like a bad diode. Only way to know for sure is to test the amperage on a graphing DVOM so you can see if there is a ripple in the charge.

Last edited by nightwalker; Dec 16, 2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 01:38 AM
Evolving Member

^^^^^^^^ yup
Old Dec 17, 2012, 06:04 AM
Evolving Member

I was using my multimeter to get all the readings I got. It just throws me off when it starts charging out of no where. I'm guessing it was just on its last bit of life. This morning the batt/e-brake light stayed on constantly and my batt voltage dropped to 10.6V I'm going to test it out later on today.

For now I have to drive my buddies EVO...FML Exedy triple plate/ 2150cc inj/ Buschur double pumper Deffinately not a DD type of car.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes definitly alternator, Same issue Exactly i had with mine.
Old Dec 17, 2012, 05:41 PM
Evolving Member

happened to me 6 months ago, alternator .

Such an annoying part to replace too.