Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Serious oil burning problem, really need some insight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2012, 10:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Valid point although my good friend bob (blue91lx) has a map 2.4 as well built to the same clearances and has no oil burning issues.... Not ruling it out though at all but if that is the case would you say that burning 1/2 a qt in 300 miles is normal for a built motor? I mean I've heard of burning oil in these built motors but even bus but motors burn less than me to my knowledge.... Feel free to inform of your opinion on this Freddie as it is much valued from me I know you guys know your way around these cars !
Old Dec 28, 2012, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Map specs the motors pretty well... They actually sent me my build sheets. As for the catch can being vented thats a possible source of a very very small bit of oil. Look at you turbo inlet pipe your licp and or o2 housing or whatever would be your o2 housing. Turbo seals tend to leak under high pressure or high boost even. What dictates high depends on the quality of the turbo. Thats were all my oil is burnt. And the more/larger crank case vents you have the more oil vapor is allowed to leak. Also try stuffing your catch can with steel mesh to help filter the oil out of the air being vented
Old Dec 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i feel your pain man, my 2.4LR motor burns quite a bit of oil to.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:01 PM
Evolving Member

Joeseph.... I have checked the turbo on both sides at o2 housing and the licp all of which are dry so I don't feel it's the turbo plus I'm not getting any noticeable smoke turbo only has 1000 miles on the fresh build as well not that it completely rules it out just no signs of oil unfortunately.

Thay..... About how much oil does your 2.4 burn on average?
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled

Mine depends on if i am on the freeway or not... I burn more oil on the freeway...
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Craig King
I was burning about that much oil when my SuperTech valve stem seals floated on me. Did you check to make sure your valve stem seals are still in place?
^^^ this, valve stem seals, and are you running rich or did you get tuned? You could be washing down the cylinder walls with gas...if those rings aren't seating due to a rich condition. your eating oil as well.. just a thought. GL
Old Dec 29, 2012, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stanlsha

Thay..... About how much oil does your 2.4 burn on average?
It burns close to the same amount your losing when driving on the hwy. a little bit less on city streets. I've got about 8k on the motor now.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:13 AM
Evolving Member

Freddie I seem to have the same correlation I probably get an extra 100 miles before burning the same amount if it is strictly street driving

Meckert deffinitely going to check the seals as soon as I'm home!.... My car is not fully tuned however it is partially tuned and the daily driving portion is complete and afr's are good for that didn't want to finish tuning until I knew if this motor was healthy

Thay good to know maybe it is just the amount this motor is going to burn