Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Serious oil burning problem, really need some insight

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2012, 09:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Serious oil burning problem, really need some insight

hey guys havent been on here in a bit because I have been away at school and avoiding my car for a bit because I was getting entirely too frustrated with it.

OK so long story short last year around this time i started my 2.4 build w/ a custom 25g setup some of you may have seen my build thread I will link it at the bottom of this post if for some reason it can be of use to shed light on this issue.

So I put in a stage 1 MAP 2.4 motor with a new turbo last yr i bought the shortblock assembly from MAP and assembled the rest myself, everything went smoothly and i fired the car up as I was doing my idle break in my timing belt came loose bc my tensioner mustve been greasy on the back side. After that happened i through it back together and did a leak down to check valves found I bent 2 exhaust 2 intake so i had them replaced at my machine shop.

Then I buttoned it back up and started it up the car ran great i did my break in according to procedure and even implemented a few extra oil changes along the way to ensure everything would remain healthy.

I did a few oil changes between initial start and 500 miles and then i went from 500 to 1000 and this is when i really started to find this problem one day i went out and drove 280 miles in a day and when i got back home i check my oil and i burned 1/2 a qt thought that was weird so i look around for leaks smoke etc cant find anything. I do an oil change at 1000 and look at 1300 im 1/2 qt low again top it off and check again in 300 miles same deal

Long story short I am burning 1/2 qt every 300 miles religiously

I have looked the car over for leaks etc there are none pulled plugs and there dry. checked the coldside of the turbo everythings dry hotside i checked as well for oil residue nothing but carbon. I also ran a leak down test and got back acceptable values all within 8 psi of eachother compression is also good.

So my question is where can I look next?

Hope you guys have some more ideas because im tapped out for now! thanks guys
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Dec 20, 2012, 04:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was burning about that much oil when my SuperTech valve stem seals floated on me. Did you check to make sure your valve stem seals are still in place?
Old Dec 20, 2012, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

havent double checked them that is certainly a potential problem i had figured if it were a valve stem seal my plugs would be wet but im sure thats not necessarily true. In order to check them can i just pop the vc and visually check them/ reseat them from there if that is the case?
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
Evolving Member

bump
Old Dec 21, 2012, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

If the valve stem seals came off the valve guide, I doubt you will get it to seat properly trying to do it thu the spring.

As far as the oil consumption,

Do you have a Catch can set up?

Have you checked the TB/Intake for oil?
Old Dec 22, 2012, 08:00 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BogusSVO
If the valve stem seals came off the valve guide, I doubt you will get it to seat properly trying to do it thu the spring.

As far as the oil consumption,

Do you have a Catch can set up?

Have you checked the TB/Intake for oil?

hey buddy sorry forgot to mention a few aspects in the original post i do have a catch can two -10 lines to a jmfab delxe can so anyblow by would deffinitely be getting caught and the can is completely dry. I should not however that the can smokes quite a bit when idling and driving much more then my buddy bobs car also with a 2.4 and the same catch can setup.

i have checked coldside and hotside of the turbo and intake pipe all were dry also i still have a recirc bov so anything coming through the intake mani would eventually get through there however all of that is bone dry not even a film of oil in the piping

Also good to know about the seals i will most likely just buy the euro export tool and pump in shop air to the cylinders if and when i end up doing the seals
Old Dec 25, 2012, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by stanlsha
i had figured if it were a valve stem seal my plugs would be wet

When my seals had floated and were leaking, my plugs were dry.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 07:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Craig King
When my seals had floated and were leaking, my plugs were dry.

good to know man i appreciate the info im heading out of town tomo so i wont get to check them out until im back most likely but i do hope its them that'd be a great easy fix so i can move one with the car. Ill keep this updated with what I find
Old Dec 26, 2012, 08:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What was your percentage of leak down?? in each cylinder.
Also compression readings. If they were all within 8% is great but i just did a compression test, they were all equally low and the rings were bad in the entire engine.
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

compression was 165 157 160 160 leakdown 8% 10% 8% 8% respectively. mind you i have 9.0:1 wescos and this was done after a 15 minute idle so the car was warm enough to cycle the fans but not as hot as if i were to go drive it hard for awhile.

The car doesnt smoke at all on acceleration from what i can tell so i hope that my rings seated properly.... plugs were a little black when i pulled them but not wet
Old Dec 26, 2012, 10:51 AM
Evolving Member

appologies on the original posts wording i meant to say they were under 8% leakdown although when i pulled my record that was the exact numbers so i was wrong in both wording and stats but hopefully that will clear it up
Old Dec 27, 2012, 08:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by stanlsha
hey buddy sorry forgot to mention a few aspects in the original post i do have a catch can two -10 lines to a jmfab delxe can so anyblow by would deffinitely be getting caught and the can is completely dry. I should not however that the can smokes quite a bit when idling and driving much more then my buddy bobs car also with a 2.4 and the same catch can setup.

i have checked coldside and hotside of the turbo and intake pipe all were dry also i still have a recirc bov so anything coming through the intake mani would eventually get through there however all of that is bone dry not even a film of oil in the piping

Also good to know about the seals i will most likely just buy the euro export tool and pump in shop air to the cylinders if and when i end up doing the seals

So this is a vented can?
And it is dry? It should not be, where is the vapor going?
Old Dec 28, 2012, 03:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BogusSVO
So this is a vented can?
And it is dry? It should not be, where is the vapor going?
Yes the can is vented I can see the white smoke coming from the filter on top when the car is running but when I turn the valve to empty the can there is no oil in there to empty
Old Dec 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
Account Disabled

It is a built motor, due to the PTW depending on builders, it may burn a tad bit of oil...

Quick Reply: Serious oil burning problem, really need some insight