Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

First pass at the track and clutch pedal goes to the firewall?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by slowonder
ok correct me if im wrong which i probably am. isnt it bad on the motor for the push style tob? i have an exedy hd stage 1 i havent yet installed and it is my dd only car. would it be safe to put in multiple wave lock clips?
Its been said that Mitsubishi went to a pull type clutch in an effort to solve the crank walk problem. I don't think that is true. What a pull type clutch does is provide more mechanical advantage meaning less pedal effort.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tscompusa
stay away from converting the Exedy. I've been running 3 wave rings for over 2 years with no clips popping.
might end up just doing this
Old Jan 3, 2013, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I was simply saying that if you have the money and down time, the QM clutch would be the best overal solution IMO.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:22 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any updates on your problem? Did DB weigh in on it?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought the Quarter Master street/strip and pulled the Exedy. Not sure how long I can handle living with this clutch tho. It grabs and the shifts are positive, HTB makes the pedal effort like stock however the noise... so fuuucking awful. Taking off from a dead stop it howls so bad and anyone in 50 yards is looking at you thinking what a piece of ****. Its stupid loud on decel too. I might not have to worry about popping a wave clip and spending the money on more labor but at the strip I've made 5 passes so far and got 4th gear lockout a couple times. I may still buy the Exedy conversion kit and live with the noise until I can do another swap.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I bought a QM 8 leg to replace my exedy triple HR, but after realizing how much of a PITA setup can be with the QM with the shim this measure that put the bell housing on take it back off, install a pedal stop etc etc etc, I said screw it and just kept my Exedy. I run multiple wave springs as well PLUS the fork stop just for good measure and Ive had no issues on hard shifts or anything.

The only issue, like Tom said, is getting the trans off when you need to because you can't get the clip to release from the throwout bearing