Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

First pass at the track and clutch pedal goes to the firewall?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:45 AM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
First pass at the track and clutch pedal goes to the firewall?

So my first pass on the new setup didn't go as planned. I had a decent launch. Hit 3rd and something broke. The clutch pedal went totally dead, all the way to the firewall. Once I got off the track I pulled the pedal up and now it's super stiff. Brand new Exedy, buschur tranny upgrades, clutch fork stop...all new. I'll call buschurs Monday and get the car apart to see what happened. Hopefully it's minor like a cable or something?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts
sounds like when I broke the throwout bearing
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DonHugo
sounds like when I broke the throwout bearing
Hopefully its something simple. What clutch did you have? Stock bearing?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:05 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like you popped the wave ring off, if stopper was'nt adjusted , when clutch wears the stopper is to far away and needs to be brought back to correct position, most say about the thickness of a credit card. 20 min. fix once you get the trans out,if thats all that happened is the clip popped off? good luck getting back to the track
Old Dec 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
sounds like the retainer clip is popped off the pressure plate. its not fun to fix. you have to remove the transmission and pop it back on.

if you're not doing it yourself, take it to AWD motorsports and tell them to add an additional wave ring on the retainer clip and it will never pop again.

I've popped them with a clutch stop touching the fork arm before.. so i just use 3 wave rings now.

the downside to this is, when it comes time to remove the clutch.. well its next to impossible to release the TOB from the retainer clip. i just unbolt the clutch assembly from the flywheel and remove the trans with the pressure plate still attached to the trans/tob.

its either that or remove the pressure plate bolts from the fork arm hole.. which takes to long imo.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 05:33 PM
Evolving Member

Appreciate the info Tom. I'll get the tranny apart tomorrow. After a little research I see this is a fairly common issue. I see a lot of guys do the Exedy Push Style clutch conversion for a permanent solution.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a bummer!!! Really hate to hear this, Matt, especially since you just got it back. What does BR say about it? If it really is the clutch ring, that's ridiculous. I don't understand how this continues to happen with Exedy clutches when it is a known problem. Why have they not addressed this?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:50 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fantrman
What a bummer!!! Really hate to hear this, Matt, especially since you just got it back. What does BR say about it? If it really is the clutch ring, that's ridiculous. I don't understand how this continues to happen with Exedy clutches when it is a known problem. Why have they not addressed this?
Yea I was bummed for sure. Buschur has been closed. I'll get the car apart and see what's up first. Based on what happened its prolly a popped TOB clip. Search around and you'll find lots of guys pulling the tranny multiple times for this. When you got to take your car to a shop/pay for labor each time something happens this could get really annoying in a hurry.

If possible get AWD to take care of this upfront as Tom suggested.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:55 AM

same happened to me. wave ring tob and slave were toast. converted to push and cant hurt it now.

goo ruck dude
Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:26 PM
Evolving Member

AMS/Exedy do not have the push conversion kits in stock....AMS says it's on back order for at least a month.
        Decisions, decisions...
        Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:38 PM
        Evolved Member

If it were me, I'd be patient and get the QM clutch but since it's your daily, the fastest solution while taking it easy on the car is the best until you can get everything you need.
        Old Jan 2, 2013, 05:40 PM
        Evolving Member

Originally Posted by okevolutionVIII
        If it were me, I'd be patient and get the QM clutch but since it's your daily, the fastest solution while taking it easy on the car is the best until you can get everything you need.
        Confused by your post...wait a month, do the labor 2xs and get the Exedy push conversion or get everything I need now from Quartermaster?
        Old Jan 2, 2013, 06:42 PM
        Evolving Member

ok correct me if im wrong which i probably am. isnt it bad on the motor for the push style tob? i have an exedy hd stage 1 i havent yet installed and it is my dd only car. would it be safe to put in multiple wave lock clips?
        Old Jan 2, 2013, 08:03 PM

^^^ Subscribed... I'm curious as well.
        Old Jan 3, 2013, 03:34 AM
        Former Sponsor

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts
        stay away from converting the Exedy. I've been running 3 wave rings for over 2 years with no clips popping.

Last edited by tscompusa; Jan 3, 2013 at 03:49 AM.

Quick Reply: First pass at the track and clutch pedal goes to the firewall?