Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

P0300 misfire fix not downloading

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2004, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Question P0300 misfire fix not downloading

Some one please help me before I smash this P.O.S. into a tree. My car is throwing the P0300 misfire code, you can definately feel the misfire, sometimes worse than others. I take it to to get it fixed as I have no engine mods and the car should not be doing this. They go to reflash the computer, no dice. They can pull codes out of it but, can't reflash it. They tell me it is because of my turbo timer. I take out the turbo timer same results, now they think it is becuase of my aftermarket radio. WTF. They said that they have flashed several Evo's and not had any problems. They also said that mine holds the honor of having the worst misfire they have seen. So I've got that going for me. All of the wiring for the radio and turbo timer was done with plug in harness's not to mention the fact that I wire Winston Cup cars for a living, so I'm fairly confident it isn't a wiring issue and as I said the turbo timer harness isn't even in there anymore. Has anyone had this problem or have any ideas how to fix it. I'm leaning towards it being a computer issue more than the wiring to the computer. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 12:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would say the only thing really needed for the program to be loaded is power and ground and the necessary DLC connections.
Therefore it may be possible to load the program with the ECU in another car. This would eliminate all of your wiring. Otherwise tell them you want a new ECU if they can't program it. IMO the wiring is just an excuse.
Old Feb 11, 2004, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't think that the 'official' ecu 0300 reflash was available yet...

But your turbo timer and aftermarket radion have not one thing to do with their ability to plug into the ecu and reprogram.

SC~
Old Feb 11, 2004, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What in the hell could the radio have to do with the ECU? They are just looking for an excuuse. Put the stock one back in and see what they say next......."The aftermarket radio you had installed has now permanently damaged the ECU....."
Old Feb 11, 2004, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

You and I all know this, and they finally determined today after three days of work that those are definately not the cause. They in their infinate wisdom have determined that it is either the ecu or a problem with the factory harness. In my personal opinion they are just milking mitsubishi for all the warranty money they can get.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just FYI there is no reflash available from the dealer for the evo yet.
Old Feb 12, 2004, 03:39 PM
Evolved Member

They have told me they have a flash and have done it to several other evo's. That was told to me directly by their service manager. Is there a possibilty that there is someother fix that they are talking about?
Old Feb 15, 2004, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Badazzcr you are correct, the rocket scientists at the dealership were trying to load a flash for some other mitsu. products into my Evo. The mitsu tech line is now steering them towards the wastegate in the turbo, which is apparently controlled by an electric soleniod which they think is malfunctioning. They don't know if it is opening and staying open or not opening when it should. Either way I'm quite worried now, if it is a mechanical failure in the turbo that could have done some damage I feel they should replace the whole turbo. Correct me if I'm wrong but if the wastegate isn't opening that could cause some damage. It also pisses me off that they didn't even know that flash wasn't for the Evo. I mean they're supposed to know what the hell they're doing. Glad they ripped the whole inside of my car apart for nothing.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 08:19 AM
Evolved Member

there is a tsb on the boost regulator....some people were complaining of not getting full boost....so there was a tsb on that....but there is a reflash coming...it is not presently out yet though. we had a tech at school about 2 weeks ago and he said mits is coming out with a reflash....for your info though there are other mits cars having the same problem, with misfire codes that is.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by hotrod2448
Badazzcr you are correct, the rocket scientists at the dealership were trying to load a flash for some other mitsu. products into my Evo.

I would find another dealer ASAP. I wouldn't trust my lawnmower to someone that thinks all ecu code is the same. Run away.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:10 AM
UFO
Evolved Member

Originally posted by hotrod2448
Glad they ripped the whole inside of my car apart for nothing.
Take it to another dealer man. Why on earth would they take the inside of your car apart? To get to the ECU itself all you have to do is remove the glove box and a piece of plastic unde the dash on the passenger side. That's it (well, apart from the 3 bolts holding it in). Sounds like they have no clue what they are doing, especially seeing as they were trying to load an incorrect flash in the 1st place.
Old Feb 15, 2004, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
is your bov VTA? it might couse back firing.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

No backfiring just a wicked miss. Which seems to me if the wastegate is opening and letting all the boost out for a split second it might feel like a miss. As far as why they ripped out the inside of my was they felt apparently that I'm incompetent and screwed something up in my ignition harness when I was installing my turbo timer. So they basically were trying to avoid fixing it under warranty.
Old Feb 17, 2004, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

They called me to tell me it's fixed so, I take a late lunch to go pick it up. The service writter can't give me a clear description of what the tech changed to fix it. He said there was a pin that had popped out of one connectors in the harness somewere and he replaced the turbo tube. ( huh?) I didn't ask because I really didn't care at that point he said I would get a full report in the mail, I was just happy to have my car back. So, I let the car warm up get heading back to work. Get out of town, get on it a little and the ****ing thing starts missing again. Now I'm really pissed. I go back, take the tech hostage go about a 1/4 mile and he's convinced it's missing again as well. So I went back and told them this is the third time it is in for the same exact problem in a week and a half, one more try after this and then I going to put the lemon law into effect. They really didn't look happy after that but, what the hell else am I supposed to do?
Old Feb 18, 2004, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

Def. roll with the lemon law. They are obviously idiots.

Quick Reply: P0300 misfire fix not downloading