Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What electronic boost controller do you use?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:08 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Got the Grimmspeed on the list of things to buy and install prior to tuning, can't wait to get started!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Many people use the GS, great part.

Also, just nitpicking, but this is an "electronic boost control solenoid", not an "electronic boost controller". EBCS, not EBC.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
i'm always impressed with how the grimmspeed is universally loved on evom. its a great 3-port, but the gm does everything as well or arguably better than the grimmspeed at half the price. the thing about 10% more flow is meaningless. there are mac solenoids that way outflow the grimmspeed and gm but they suck at boost control. the real truth is that there is a sweet spot for flow and the gm and grimmspeed are right in there. also, the resistor issue is a red herring. i'm not aware of a single blown boost control circuit from running a resistorless gm on an evo. the good news is that even at twice the price, the grimmspeed is still a low cost mod.
I agree. Maybe the grimspeed looks a little more fancy and utilizes the factory coupler for simplicity.. I use the GM solenoid without resistor and works like a champ.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
I agree. Maybe the grimspeed looks a little more fancy and utilizes the factory coupler for simplicity.. I use the GM solenoid without resistor and works like a champ.
Yeah, I've had one for four years, and it was used when I got it. Still works perfect. Plug is actually not an issue. Spoolinup.com sells adapter harnesses.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
Yeah, I've had one for four years, and it was used when I got it. Still works perfect. Plug is actually not an issue. Spoolinup.com sells adapter harnesses.
Thanks for saving me $$! When you say GM, is it OEM or is the AC Delco one just as good?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:20 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by 10isace
Thanks for saving me $$! When you say GM, is it OEM or is the AC Delco one just as good?
Get the one that spoolinup sells. One stop shopping for the solenoid and harness without the resistor.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much does the GM one with harness adapter actually cost?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by mberenis
How much does the GM one with harness adapter actually cost?
$40 for the solenoid and $20 for the harness on spoolinup.com. No lie about half the price.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:03 PM
Evolving Member

Wow lol! I did look into this setup but decided to go with a proven plug and play name brand ebcs. I have a lot of money invested in my car right now and for me, spending the extra sixty bucks was worth it. I wasnt comfortable using the gm solenoid as i feel it is a less than favorable way of doing things. My worries may be unwarranted, but i just wasnt comfortable retrofitting something from another car manufacturer. Im not a fan of obama motors either

Question: is there anything other than price about the gm solenoid that makes it better than the grimmspeed unit??
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:55 PM
EvoM Guru

Question: is there anything other than price about the gm solenoid that makes it better than the grimmspeed unit??
Proven reliability record. I've not heard of any failures. Mine is at least four years old, and is probably closer to six years old. Still works perfect. Performance is a complete toss-up. You certainly didn't go wrong by having purchased the Grimmspeed.

Last edited by mrfred; Jan 11, 2013 at 02:55 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:07 PM
Evolving Member

Wow thats really good! How about tunability of the gm solenoid vs the grimmspeed? Any differences there?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Wow thats really good! How about tunability of the gm solenoid vs the grimmspeed? Any differences there?
No detectable difference in tunability or boost control range because their bleed responses are very similar. I bench tested both solenoids about three years ago and posted the results on EvoM. If you dig, you'll be able to find the results.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:28 PM
Evolving Member

How do the boost control solenoids like grimmspeed, tactrix, gm, etc differ from "boost controllers"
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Boost solenoid is basically an electric gate that works in conjunction with the wastegate (mechanical) to limit boost or keep it under a certain level. This solenoid is controlled by the ECU. To modify the stock boost levels, the stock map needs to be modified using a tactrix OBD connector & a labtop with ECUflash software.
A dedicated EBC such as the greddy or HKS EVC, has its own control unit & solenoid, it controls boost independent from the main ECU. It's like an MBC but electronic. It has many advantages, the driver can always modify the settings & store various settings through the control unit without having to access/reprogram the main ECU every time.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by foxbat
A dedicated EBC such as the greddy or HKS EVC ... has many advantages, the driver can always modify the settings & store various settings through the control unit without having to access/reprogram the main ECU every time.
The primary reason why one would need to change boost settings is to accommodate a change in fuels. The ECU holds two complete, independent maps that can be toggled from the driver's seat while on the fly. Otherwise, fiddling with boost settings without accessing the ECU's fuel and ignition maps, or datalogging (all of which require accessing the ECU anyway), isn't a particularly good idea.

When it comes to these outboard dongles, I see the disadvantages of cost, added hardware, and a potential source of issues, all for features one already has at his disposal.

Quick Reply: What electronic boost controller do you use?