Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What electronic boost controller do you use?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:36 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What electronic boost controller do you use?

What kind of boost controller are you using?

I am close to finishing my build and before I go get tuned by John / Jestr at Titan Motorsports, I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the oem ebcs to the GrimmSpeed three port electronic boost controller.

From what I've read, this is really the way to go. GrimmSpeed says it gives 10% more flow which in return gives you more precise boost controller and a quicker spool. Plus it has an OEM harness and built in resistor so I don't have worry about screwing up my ECU.

• I'm curious if anyone else out there in EvolutionM-land is running this boost controller and what you think about it. Did it really improve spool? Was it easier to tune?
  • Any tips for tuning that I can let the guys know at Titan when I go to get tuned? Anything good/bad to watch out for?
  • What is the general consensus about the GrimmSpeed three port EBCS? Is this a quality part or did I mess up when I ordered it?
  • If you aren't using a GrimmSpeed three port, what are you using instead? Also, anyone still using a MBC? I ran a mbc on my WRX and I liked it. I never really pushed it as hard as the Evo though so I think i need an ebcs so I can get all out of it that I can. The WRX never ran 28+ psi, hell the most I got out of that was 18-20 pounds, 23 for ****s and giggles but then I'd turn it down. The evo is serious boost and I think an electronic boost controller is really the way to go.
Here's the review video I made when I got the part:

Here's the install video I recently made (updated 2/13/13)

Thanks for your feedback! I'm really pumped to get my car back on the road. It has been about two months now since I installed cams and introduced my valves to my pistons they didn't get along very well.

Last edited by mberenis; Feb 13, 2013 at 06:27 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:47 PM

great review!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:49 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks bro!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 05:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was using the same. Grimmspeed. Loved it.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Go 3port, that grimmspeed is nice, im using a gruppe s. Ive ran dejon toolmbc and profec b spec 2 ebc. Like gruppe s out of all 3 no problem, knobs to turn, electronics to go bad. Plus 3port workin with ecu allows same boost in different temps....
Old Jan 10, 2013, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not sure the terminology is correct here, Grimmspeed offers a 3-port solenoid not a full, dedicated EBC, you still have to control/adjust boost through the ECU? I've used their 3-port solenoid on a 2008 STi & I tuned boost through the ECU setting it up at 27psi, GT3076, it worked like a charm, I'd recommend it.
Good EBCs that I have noticed on cars that I tuned, were the HKS EVC6, precise settings & extremely accurate digital boost gauge. Turbosmart also offers an excellent EBC, (kind of expensive though).

Last edited by foxbat; Jan 11, 2013 at 05:03 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by dastallion951
Plus 3port workin with ecu allows same boost in different temps....
...and allows one to set the boost as he wishes for different gears.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:30 PM
Evolving Member

Great feedback everyone thank you for your input! Thats pretty cool we can set boost by gear too. That makes a big difference in safely tuning for power too.

Here is a positive note i got on the video that is very inspiring in regards to quicker spool:

"You'll love it once you get it installed and tuned. I have one on my VIII, went from hitting full boost (23psi) on the stock solenoid @ 3500, to 24psi @ 3250."
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts
Originally Posted by mberenis
What kind of boost controller are you using?

I am close to finishing my build and before I go get tuned by John / Jestr at Titan Motorsports, I thought it would be a good idea to upgrade the oem ebcs to the GrimmSpeed three port electronic boost controller.

From what I've read, this is really the way to go. GrimmSpeed says it gives 10% more flow which in return gives you more precise boost controller and a quicker spool. Plus it has an OEM harness and built in resistor so I don't have worry about screwing up my ECU...
i'm always impressed with how the grimmspeed is universally loved on evom. its a great 3-port, but the gm does everything as well or arguably better than the grimmspeed at half the price. the thing about 10% more flow is meaningless. there are mac solenoids that way outflow the grimmspeed and gm but they suck at boost control. the real truth is that there is a sweet spot for flow and the gm and grimmspeed are right in there. also, the resistor issue is a red herring. i'm not aware of a single blown boost control circuit from running a resistorless gm on an evo. the good news is that even at twice the price, the grimmspeed is still a low cost mod.

Last edited by mrfred; Jan 10, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:04 AM
Evolving Member

I'm using a Perrin 3-Port.Never had any issues with it.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mberenis
Great feedback everyone thank you for your input! Thats pretty cool we can set boost by gear too. That makes a big difference in safely tuning for power too.

Here is a positive note i got on the video that is very inspiring in regards to quicker spool:

"You'll love it once you get it installed and tuned. I have one on my VIII, went from hitting full boost (23psi) on the stock solenoid @ 3500, to 24psi @ 3250."
LOL that was me. Are you planning on tunning it yourself or having someone else?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:44 AM
Evolving Member

I was going to tune it myself, but I have so much $$ wrapped up in this car and a lot of stuff has been changed I think I'm just going to take it to Jestr at Titan Motorsports in Orlando.

I will make tweaks to the map though to at least get it there. I read in the instruction manual it is a 30% reduction of WGDC for this boost controller. Is that that value that you used? I don't want it overboosting on my way to get tuned
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

If your on a factory rom, set the WGDC to 0%. If you're on a V7 rom do the same as well as set the WDGC Always 100 Below This Load to under 100, it is under the global boost control settings header.

This will allow you to just run wastgate pressure. No worries of an overboost.

On the stock solenoid I was 100% WGDC to get 23psi. At the moment my curve is 68% at peak boost, to 62.5% at 5k, and 74% at 7k. I peak 24psi @ 3200, creeps to 25 in the mid range, and tapers to 22 by 7k. I use load based boost control at the moment on V7, I am able to hold a flat 260 load from 3250 to 6000.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:01 AM
Evolving Member

Thank you sir I appreciate the info!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had a tactrix before. New car. Bought another one.

Quick Reply: What electronic boost controller do you use?