Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.0L build, need advise.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by foxbat
Wiseco, JE, CP are all good piston brands. I highly recommend that you install aftermarket head studs.
If you're going to rebuild your engine, why not go for 2.3L? It would greatly help your turbo spool faster!
for a 2.3 i think you have to hone the cylinder walls right?

over here its a risk honing a cylinder wall, cause they dont have the right measuring equipment and i dont want to risk destroying the block.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I beleive your thinking of boring and not honing. and no you can buy standard size pistons for a 2.3. its mostly about the crank.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by sktng22
I beleive your thinking of boring and not honing. and no you can buy standard size pistons for a 2.3. its mostly about the crank.
i read somewhere that no matter what stroker kit you buy you need to bore the cylinder walls, even if its standard size pistons...

and yes i meant boring not honing...
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:18 AM
Evolved Member

just go buy manley turbo tuff rods and wiseco hd pistons
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by babaz7
i read somewhere that no matter what stroker kit you buy you need to bore the cylinder walls, even if its standard size pistons...

and yes i meant boring not honing...
No, as sktng22 mentioned you don't have to bore the cylinder walls as stroker specific pistons come in all bore sizes. I think you need a larger displacement engine to help cut the significant turbo lag you have!

Cylinder wall boring would be needed (regardless of stroke size) when the walls have significant amount of wear, they would be bored for larger pistons to maintain engine compression.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there a reason to choose steel rods over aluminum?

arnt aluminum rods rated for 800+ hp applications, plus they are lighter, which means a lighter rotating assembly and quicker revs...
Yes alum. rods can take more abuse than steel, and yes alum rods can be used in street engines. But they need to be checked at frequent intervals.

With the questions you are asking, I would recommend that you stay with a steel rod. Since you are not near a machine shop with the equipment and tooling needed to check everything out

ok sir how do i balance the rotating assembly? is there a procedure or some measurements ?
the thing is there is no professional machine shop here in my country, its just me and a mechanic, who is not used to high power engines, just corolla and civic engines which come stock...

so when i buy all the parts, how do i balance them, i asked this before but no one responded?

i have no other choice but to do it at my home...

It take a special piece of equipment to spin balance a rotating assembly.

http://www.cwtindustries.com/crankshaft%20balancer.htm

2.0L build, need advise.-crankshaft-balancer-5000hd-flames.gif

The best you can do is going to weight match the rods, then the pistons.

Now weather or not the block needs to be honed or be bored for oversized pistons will not be known untill the engine is apart and the cylinders checked for wear, taper and barrel.