Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.0L build, need advise.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2.0L build, need advise.

okay guys,so its time that i upgrade, right now my bottom end is stock, i want to do a forged 2.0l build, i want my evo 8 to rev upto 9000 rpm's...

what pistons and rods are the best i can get,...are aluminuim rods worth it or not?

my car is already modified,its just that i want to forge the bottom end...

current specs on the car..

gsc s2 cams
kelford dual spring and retainers
gt3586 turbo
exaust manifold
ets 3.5 intercooler
FIC 1250cc injectors
downpipe
tephra v7

so what piston and rods are best for me to have a built bottom end, and can i rev to 9000 rpm with the stock crank or do i need an aftermarket one?

Last edited by babaz7; Jan 24, 2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Very vague question depends on what power level your shooting for
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ineedboostman
Very vague question depends on what power level your shooting for
sorry i should have posted, right now my car is making 450whp according to virtual dyno at 1.8 bar on 93 oct...

i want to make atleast 600 whp with water meth kit on 93 oct, plus shooting for 9000 rpms cause right now with my setup the turbo spools at 5200 rpm till 8000 rpms...i want that extra 1000 rpm, so what should i go for?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Daily driver or is this a race car? What size of turbo are you going to run with it? Cam selection will play a big part, as well as who does your head. What kind of compression are you going to run? 9.0? 10.0? 11.0 (pretty much exclusive to drag cars...etc)? How much money do you have allotted for this?

Personally i would just buy a built bottom end from Buschur or MAP or whoever.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:21 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Daily driver or is this a race car? What size of turbo are you going to run with it? Cam selection will play a big part, as well as who does your head. What kind of compression are you going to run? 9.0? 10.0? 11.0 (pretty much exclusive to drag cars...etc)? How much money do you have allotted for this?

Personally i would just buy a built bottom end from Buschur or MAP or whoever.
i have already mentioned what mods im running right now in the first post, and its not a daily driving car, just for the week end drag racing..

im thinking that 9.0 compression would be fine for 93 octane and 30 psi of boost, i just want to know what pistons and rods should i go with....

do CP pistons and grp aluminuim rods sound good?

and does revving to 9000 rpm's have anything to do with the bottom end, crankshaft? or it is soley dependant on the head?

and i would have bought a buschur or map bottom end but by the time it reaches here in pakistan, the shipping,customs and other taxes, the bottom end would cost me in access of 6000$ which im not willing to spend...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why do you only rev till 8 i rev to 7800 rpm stock head completly stock head.......just curious i know a couple people who rev to like 8600 with supertech dual valve springs and retainers and kelford 272s
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bighead87
why do you only rev till 8 i rev to 7800 rpm stock head completly stock head.......just curious i know a couple people who rev to like 8600 with supertech dual valve springs and retainers and kelford 272s
i have stock internals thats why...im scared that if i rev a stock bottom end upto 9000 rpms, some thing will give..
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There has been some debate on the strength of the "off the shelf" CP pistons, For the 4g63, They do have a set of Customs that can be had, that addressed the flaws of the on the shelf ones.

Make sure that you have the rotating assembly balanced on your build, rods, pistons, crank, flywheel, pressure plate and Hbal.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:39 AM
Evolved Member

I would suggest using steel rods over aluminum for your setup. There are a lot of good rods out there but the Manley turbotuff rods seem to be holding down some serious power with no failures (that I know of). Also the piston variety is all over the place. People run wiseco, JE, CP, all types..guess that choice depends on what your looking for compression wise etc.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by AngryEvo8
I would suggest using steel rods over aluminum for your setup. There are a lot of good rods out there but the Manley turbotuff rods seem to be holding down some serious power with no failures (that I know of). Also the piston variety is all over the place. People run wiseco, JE, CP, all types..guess that choice depends on what your looking for compression wise etc.
is there a reason to choose steel rods over aluminum?

arnt aluminum rods rated for 800+ hp applications, plus they are lighter, which means a lighter rotating assembly and quicker revs...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BogusSVO
There has been some debate on the strength of the "off the shelf" CP pistons, For the 4g63, They do have a set of Customs that can be had, that addressed the flaws of the on the shelf ones.

Make sure that you have the rotating assembly balanced on your build, rods, pistons, crank, flywheel, pressure plate and Hbal.
ok sir how do i balance the rotating assembly? is there a procedure or some measurements ?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:17 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 372 Likes on 247 Posts
One of the problems with revving to 9k would be shifting. It doesn't seem like the stock 5 speed likes to be shifted that high. If you are going to buy a crank,buy a stroker crank(100MM) and keep it under 8k. This will make the car come up on power(torque) much faster and be easier on parts in the long haul.

I'd also stay away from alum rods unless its a dedicated race engine that will be rebuilt or checked frequently. Alum rods can distort somewhat over time under high HP.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by babaz7
i have already mentioned what mods im running right now in the first post, and its not a daily driving car, just for the week end drag racing..

im thinking that 9.0 compression would be fine for 93 octane and 30 psi of boost, i just want to know what pistons and rods should i go with....

do CP pistons and grp aluminuim rods sound good?

I have a set of CP pistons and didn't end up using them because of some issues that I've heard about. With this being said, tons of guys have used them with success....I just didn’t want to risk it.
Personally I run Wiseco 1400HD's.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/cyli...ajor-flaw.html

and does revving to 9000 rpm's have anything to do with the bottom end, crankshaft? or it is soley dependant on the head?

Revving to 9000 rpm's is gonna take its toll on the motor, personally I would be aiming for a cam/turbo combo that makes power up until 8500 rpm...but if its a weekend warior and 9000rpm's is what you want, then just make sure the bottom end is balanced properly.

and i would have bought a buschur or map bottom end but by the time it reaches here in pakistan, the shipping,customs and other taxes, the bottom end would cost me in access of 6000$ which im not willing to spend...
Just make sure you select a machine shop that will take there time with the motor and spec everything out properly. Make sure that you mention how much boost you plan on running...etc because this will determine ring gap....etc

Building a motor is not cheap. If you search around this site, there is TONS of info on build. Pic one and copy it....
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Wiseco, JE, CP are all good piston brands. I highly recommend that you install aftermarket head studs.
If you're going to rebuild your engine, why not go for 2.3L? It would greatly help your turbo spool faster!
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:13 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Teal2nnr
Just make sure you select a machine shop that will take there time with the motor and spec everything out properly. Make sure that you mention how much boost you plan on running...etc because this will determine ring gap....etc

Building a motor is not cheap. If you search around this site, there is TONS of info on build. Pic one and copy it....
the thing is there is no professional machine shop here in my country, its just me and a mechanic, who is not used to high power engines, just corolla and civic engines which come stock...

so when i buy all the parts, how do i balance them, i asked this before but no one responded?

i have no other choice but to do it at my home...

Quick Reply: 2.0L build, need advise.