Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

spool: BBRed/3B/BBGreen?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
spool: BBRed/3B/BBGreen?

All else remaining equal on the same setup, which of the above BB turbos(BB Red, BBGreen, or CBRD 3-B) spools the quickest and exhibits best transients? If you were to rate them from 1-3, #1 being quickest spooling, how would they rate relative to each other? I am not interested in peak power numbers or relative torque figures...only spool up, rate of spool, and transient response.

Last edited by sparky; Feb 1, 2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sparky
All else remaining equal on the same setup, which of the above BB turbos spools the quickest and exhibits best transients? If you were to rate them from 1-3, #1 being quickest spooling, how would they rate relative to each other? I am not interested in peak power numbers or relative torque figures...only spool up, rate of spool, and transient response.
Well green is smaller than the red so it spools faster. Not sure what 3b is.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:26 AM
Evolved Member

My hunch is that the 3-B, based on what I have read, would spool faster than a BB Red. But, how many RPM difference. Between the BB Green and the 3-B the spool must be pretty close with the Green maybe slightly edging out the 3-B strictly in terms of spool and transient response.

I guess I am really asking about relative spool between the 3-B and the BB Green since it is almost a given that the BB Red is going to be the slowest spooler out of the three.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by asu11
Well green is smaller than the red so it spools faster. Not sure what 3b is.
Sorry. 3-B, is the CBRD BBK-B, aka "3-B".
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:32 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Did you try asking Chad directly? Shoot him an email.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks, and will do, Saint Golgo. My guess is that the relative spool between the CBRD 3-B and the BB Green are within 200 RPM of each other....maybe less. I'll shoot Chad a PM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still dialing in my tune however, I'm seeing 20psi at about 3400rpm with the 3B on 93. This is on a 2.3 though. Can't speak on transient response yet as I haven't made it through that portion or the tuning process. I'll keep this thread updated when shes all dialed in for you.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:33 AM
Evolved Member

EDIT: Sorry. Keystroke error. See post no. 9 below.

Last edited by sparky; Feb 1, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=Pohjeekiller;10638956]Still dialing in my tune however, I'm seeing 20psi at about 3400rpm with the 3B on 93. This is on a 2.3 though. Can't speak on transient response yet as I haven't made it through that portion or the tuning process. I'll keep this thread updated when shes all dialed in for you.[/QUOTE]

Do you happen to know how many PSI of actuator spring tension there is acting on the flapper valve the way that you have it set up. Did you install the turbo/WG as delivered from CBRD as a unit. Or, have you tinkered around with the preload at all? Does your trbo have the stock MHI actuator on it, or does Chad fit that turbo with a HD actuator?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Do you happen to know how many PSI of actuator spring tension there is acting on the flapper valve the way that you have it set up. Did you install the turbo/WG as delivered from CBRD as a unit. Or, have you tinkered around with the preload at all? Does your trbo have the stock MHI actuator on it, or does Chad fit that turbo with a HD actuator?
Nope, 18# actuator that Chad supplied with the turbo. Didn't see the need for the 25# unit as I won't be seeing boost above 30# on the stroker. There was a small bit of preload on the actuator when i received it however I can't remember if some was added. I'll have to ask my builder as this went on during my engine build. I don't believe its a stock MHI actuator either. Again I'll have to check or maybe Chad can chime in...
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, I believe you're right that Chad has his own line of HD actuators.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Friend has the 3b on his 2.3 evo 9. I built & tuned it for him, and honestly, I like the red better. Spools better, more power, transient better. I feel bad as I recc him to get it, as the full does awesome for what it is, and it was new and was getting good reviews.

OT - Also didn't help when we had a problem with the turbo and the car was at CBRD I was getting called and blamed for having disassembled the turbo(which I had not done!) and that being the issue. The basis? A diff color sharpie then Blouch uses when they assemble everything. Eventually they just replaced the entire turbo assembly at no cost to my friend(Props for that), however it cut 6hours into the day and his dyno time and Chad had to rush through it. Sorry, back on topic

Last edited by ExViTermini; Feb 1, 2013 at 02:18 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Pohjeekiller
Still dialing in my tune however, I'm seeing 20psi at about 3400rpm with the 3B on 93. This is on a 2.3 though. Can't speak on transient response yet as I haven't made it through that portion or the tuning process. I'll keep this thread updated when shes all dialed in for you.

My car is a stock 2.0 and I see 20psi by about 3800 rpm and 30 psi by 4400 rpm. I run Chad's 25 psi hd actuator, I think I'm running it at what it came set at unless my tuner touched it. The transient response is awesome. I have looked at alot of red dyno graphs and it seems the bb red and 3b spool similar, but would have to think the bb green should spool a little faster. My old school green use to hit 30 psi before 4000 rpm , but I don't mind trading some spool for the 80 whp that my 3 b netted me.

Last edited by ctfpevoVIII; Feb 1, 2013 at 05:02 PM.