Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Building a 20g

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2013, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Building a 20g

So want to build a 20g. I am looking to buy a billet wheel and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with some of the stuff on ebay. for example..
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130825066625...c81881&vxp=mtr

And for the housing.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Turbo-Compre...9bff72&vxp=mtr

Just curious if anyone has had any experience with the quality of the parts. This is going to be put on my IX

Last edited by thedru13; Feb 12, 2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm no expert -->these guys over at this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10658300 could probably help you out better. I have snail turbo billet 20g(10-blade) with TME turbine(Ti Al) not magnesium. I really like response, it definately out spools the evo 9 maybe not my original TME(maybe shy of 80- 100rpms) evo turbo but definately out kicks it topend. This untuned. So this is speculation--butt dyno...lol.

The snail turbo billet 10 blade is sort of passed on the GTX wheel(11-blade) extended(its not dual blade). It really does hold boost. My advice is that I strongly recommend an anti-surge cover for any 20g you're building, and take in consideration that you can now own a OG Green or even a JB FP Red for the amount of piecing together a strong 20g. Weigh your options carefully 20g is a old tech turbo, but I think when pieced together it can be provide a very good bang for buck.GL
Old Feb 13, 2013, 09:15 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for the Feedback Sil'vr. I did check out that thread and was doing some reading. I just don't want to fall into that trap you are talking about where I spend money on something that is already built. Like an FP or something. I like the idea of keeping it OG and twin scroll. Not looking for some Dyno Queen just want to really have a very fun street car. I have been so close to cracking 400 on the stock turbo on pump... So that lead me to the 20g thought.

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
I'm no expert -->these guys over at this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post10658300 could probably help you out better. I have snail turbo billet 20g(10-blade) with TME turbine(Ti Al) not magnesium. I really like response, it definately out spools the evo 9 maybe not my original TME(maybe shy of 80- 100rpms) evo turbo but definately out kicks it topend. This untuned. So this is speculation--butt dyno...lol.

The snail turbo billet 10 blade is sort of passed on the GTX wheel(11-blade) extended(its not dual blade). It really does hold boost. My advice is that I strongly recommend an anti-surge cover for any 20g you're building, and take in consideration that you can now own a OG Green or even a JB FP Red for the amount of piecing together a strong 20g. Weigh your options carefully 20g is a old tech turbo, but I think when pieced together it can be provide a very good bang for buck.GL
Old Feb 13, 2013, 03:21 PM
Evolved Member

If you're dead set on a 20g. My advice is to make sure you run a FP oil lines, Anti-Surge housing is a must don't go with the PTE look alike compressor covers. If you google: billet compressor wheels you'll find an excellent thread on dsmtuners- that will surely guide you as it did me. The thread covers 20g Kamak, Snailturbo, KTS and Kinugawa billet wheels. Extended tip, Dual 5 blade, Dual 6 blade and 7.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should get ahold of the guys over ay Turbo Lab. They can fix you up with something nice and they do awesome work.
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:59 PM
Evolved Member

Well pulled the trigger on this. Going to start the build soon. Here is what I got.
20g 6 blade billet extended tip wheel and surge ported Evo IX cover.

Old Feb 21, 2013, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks good. You've piqued my interest. Just wonder, where did you get the 6 blade extended tip wheel?
Old Feb 21, 2013, 09:01 PM
Evolved Member

Turbo labs of America
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
[QUOTE=thedru13;10657540]So want to build a 20g. I am looking to buy a billet wheel and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with some of the stuff on ebay. for example..

This wheel is not reverse!!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

Still dont get it why anyone would make such experiments, if you can send your turbo and rebuild it in to FP 71hta or map ef2 or bbk and get proven peformance for reasonable money...
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:07 AM
Evolved Member

@thedru : what turbine will you use? what is the inducer/exducer dimensions? does the compressor housing requires machining to fit the compressor in it?
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:03 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=2.3stroker;10674996]
Originally Posted by thedru13
So want to build a 20g. I am looking to buy a billet wheel and wanted to know if anyone had any experience with some of the stuff on ebay. for example..

This wheel is not reverse!!
Yah I posted the wrong link. The wheel i got is reversed.

Originally Posted by Biggy VIII
Still dont get it why anyone would make such experiments, if you can send your turbo and rebuild it in to FP 71hta or map ef2 or bbk and get proven peformance for reasonable money...
This isn't really an experiment. Not like running a 20g is all that new.. DSM guys have been running it for ever. My logic may not make sense to everyone but going to give this a shot. Its a very small investment. After seeing the numbers from the HTA I wanted to see if I could do a build for a third of that price.

Originally Posted by Sil'vr-Boi6
@thedru : what turbine will you use? what is the inducer/exducer dimensions? does the compressor housing requires machining to fit the compressor in it?
I am going to fit this on my 9 turbo. No machining needed. I will have to get you the specs i don't have them here at work.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 09:59 AM
Evolving Member

This isn't really an experiment. Not like running a 20g is all that new.. DSM guys have been running it for ever. My logic may not make sense to everyone but going to give this a shot. Its a very small investment. After seeing the numbers from the HTA I wanted to see if I could do a build for a third of that price.
Oh I see. It seems that prices are so much different in our countries that it is the reason why it doesnt make any sense for me.

MAP EF2 upgade cost $964. If you are really able to make a fast-spooling surge-free 20g turbo capable of the same power, from your stock evo9 turbo, including assembling and balancing labor - than it is definately a great deal!

Anyway, good luck with that build!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Yah my cost for this is going to be less than 325 bucks.

Originally Posted by Biggy VIII
Oh I see. It seems that prices are so much different in our countries that it is the reason why it doesnt make any sense for me.

MAP EF2 upgade cost $964. If you are really able to make a fast-spooling surge-free 20g turbo capable of the same power, from your stock evo9 turbo, including assembling and balancing labor - than it is definately a great deal!

Anyway, good luck with that build!
Old Feb 22, 2013, 11:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by thedru13
Yah my cost for this is going to be less than 325 bucks.
Wow! Rebuilding and balancing labor with all the needed spare parts will cost me $400+ here... + compressor wheel...

Quick Reply: Building a 20g