Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

clutch drop at WOT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clutch drop at WOT

is there a clutch out there for the EVO that'll let you drop at WOT, and still last a long time?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:17 AM

Lemme know how your drivetrain likes that
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
anything made from ceramic, kevlar, or carbon... basicly u need sometihng that can take the head and disipate it quickly... However you may find urself breaking stuff... also the clutch design was made to slip for rally purposes of absorbing shock... so you would need to alter the stock set up as far as the line and restrictors are concerned...
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:35 AM

let me rephrase that...is there a clutch out there that can stand up to high rpm launches, i.e. the kind you do at the dragstrip? whenever i get a good launch, the stock clutch always burns. I want one that will allow me to harness the AWD launch advantage, and not wear so quickly...any recommendations? oh, and btw, i've tried TONS of different launch techniques, and every single one gives me the stench of burning clutch.

Last edited by sixftdrop; Feb 13, 2004 at 12:45 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:48 AM
Evolved Member

ok was I lucky? when I had my eclipse GSX back in 1990 I put full hks exhaust, hks power flow, hks IC pipes and hks EVC (still have it).
I drove that car like a beast every single day from day one for 5 years and it was sold with 80k. WOT drops almost every day! and you better believe I did.
Never had a problem, just a the frikin timing belt (it had a recall) clutch at around 20k and a turbo around 30k. after that i just put a centerforce clutch and the problem never came back again.

so i know the evo came with more power and better grip with the tires but are you telling me it cant handle the power? is the drivetrain really that weak?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 12:54 AM
Evolved Member

as far as what clutches.... um any twin disc with a disc as i described above.. or one of RPS's clutch but their carbon series.. Mcloed makes some good clutches... as well as ACT's high end and clutch masters... I'd stay away from centerforce on the evo... they made some good clutches just not one i'd recommend for it...
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:01 AM

so if i get one of those clutches, I'll be able to drag the EVO and not worry about the clutch? will i be able to launch hard and not smell my clutch....i'm guessing they'll be able to pick-up at high rpms without burning, correct?

Last edited by sixftdrop; Feb 13, 2004 at 01:04 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

ya but u will be breaking alot more ish then ur clutch.. i'm talking trannies and center diffs... hopefully neither but you always need to remember there is always a week point somewhere, something has to give its either the tires or anothe component.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by 1QWKEVO
I'd stay away from centerforce on the evo... they made some good clutches just not one i'd recommend for it...
===============

Oh I know that now, but remember that was 14 years ago not too not too many brands to choose from if i remember right only centerforce and hks I think were the only 2, and centerforce was the shiiiiiattt
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

Alot of the aftermarket clutch feels like ur driving a big rig... Is there a aftermaket clutch that has the same feel as stock clutch.
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:54 AM

you've got to be kidding me!!! $3,700 for an rps carbon clutch!?!?!?!?
Old Feb 13, 2004, 05:59 AM
Evolving Member

just get a twin disc setup..like hks gd max or something.
then you can launch at high rpms.i launch at 6000rpms with ease.
another thing...i know that transfer cases in the evo are known to break but i seriously think that this is due to the way you launch and drive your car.If you slip the clutch on the launch you have no problem.Remember,it is always good to get a little tires on the launch.You dont want the car to just jump off the line.This is when the transfer case takes a beating and you can run into problems later on.
Slipping the clutch is the best thing to do when launching.Dont pop it...that is too harsh for the drivetrain.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by sixftdrop
you've got to be kidding me!!! $3,700 for an rps carbon clutch!?!?!?!?
Carbon-carbon is used in Formula One for their brake and clutch systems. It is also used by Top Fuel, Funny Car and Pro Import racing for their brake systems. The advantages of carbon-carbon are many, including smooth engagement, high heat capacity, light weight discs, and long life.
Old Feb 16, 2004, 02:26 PM

Hey RPSpp:
How many miles could you say that twin-disk carbon/carbon clutch last if: you drove normally, you drove aggressively, and lastly if you raced and did hard launches consistently?

How hard will the pedal push be?
And finally Cusco (I think thats it) has a carbon twin disk for $1600. Yours is more than TWICE that! Why should we go with you guys instead of cusco?
I mean if its worth it I'll save up.
Hopefully this clutch better outlast the car, and protect the AWD drivetrain from damage. Maybe weight and rotational mass savings....?

Take care,
Omar
Old Feb 16, 2004, 03:26 PM

Originally posted by OmarSpeedAddict
Hey RPSpp:
How many miles could you say that twin-disk carbon/carbon clutch last if: you drove normally, you drove aggressively, and lastly if you raced and did hard launches consistently?

How hard will the pedal push be?
And finally Cusco (I think thats it) has a carbon twin disk for $1600. Yours is more than TWICE that! Why should we go with you guys instead of cusco?
I mean if its worth it I'll save up.
Hopefully this clutch better outlast the car, and protect the AWD drivetrain from damage. Maybe weight and rotational mass savings....?

Take care,
Omar
Hi Omar,
The miles will be something undetermined for this time but, from the many applications of C/C that we offer I can base some miles and abuse to your application. Our C/C in the 3000GT VR-4 will be a great car to mimic the abuse that the EVO represents. Hears a testimonial from a shop "Dynamic Racing" Matt M. Has got the 2nd fastest VR-4 in the country, doing low 10sec passes 1.5~1.6 0-60 foot time. Has well over 200+ 10sec passes and drives it daily! Pulled the engine for inspection and while it was out had the Twin disc measured out. It wore only 10~11 thousands off of original disc size!!! The product can go as low as 60 thousands before it needs a rebuild. His regular clutch only lasts 30~45 passes before the PP and disc needs to be replaced. Many more can say it's the long lasting and the smoothest clutch yet. Many Supra owners do have our C/C Twin disc on 30,000+ miles on a big single 650+hp with little wear.

The pedal effort will be like the stock clutch maybe little less. The interesting part that all of you that are reading this need to understand the true C/C technology has all friction surface mating riding on carbon. And all others that may offer it for your car in a carbon clutch is the surface that it rides on are metal so it will be an on-off engagement hard on the driveline and tranny. As for this technology, RPS made this kind of facing 5yrs ago, and will not go back to it when we have the cutting edge technology now to use.

O BTW, C/C has different properties from a convential friction. The C/C has a lower co-efficient of friction than a street disc when cold, when it heats up it can surpass the friction co-efficient of a ceramic. And C/C can not glaze over, burn up, or smell. This is a product delivered from NASA. Any more questions call us.
Attached Thumbnails clutch drop at WOT-web-c_c-copy.jpg  

Last edited by RPSPP; Feb 18, 2004 at 09:48 AM.