Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best way to make 450whp on stock bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i'm at 450whp/390wtq VD with my 9 RS with the following mods -

- DBB Red @28psi (2,200ft DA)
- Cosworth M2s
- JMFab tubular manifold
- MAP o2 eliminator dump downpipe
- AMS FMIC
- RRE stealth TBE
- Grimmspeed 3 port
- Synapse BOV/IC piping
- Walbro 255
- RC 1000s
- Tscompusa tuned

i've done a few track days and time attacks with my current setup and i'm happy with it (more so than my previous HKS 7460). i lost about 400rpm of spool compared to stock (hit 300wtq in 3rd by 3900rpm on a warm day) and the transient response is good.

i think it really comes down to your budget - the more supporting mods you do, the wider the powerband will be. you have a few options for 450whp dynojet/VD stock block on pumpgas. if money is no object, i'd do Fullrace Twinscroll T4 7670 (8374 if you want more later on) and atleast GSC S2s. if money is tight (you don't want to do cams), you can slap on a FP Black/EF4 + o2 dump and supporting mods and get to 450whp no problem. the lag wouldn't be fun on the stock 2L though.

as for clutch, i had high rpm lockout problems with my ACT XTSS, as with 3 other friends with HDSS i know despite numerous adjustments made. i would never recommend ACT to other Evo owners. i don't want to open another can of worms here so i'd suggest the OP to search.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for the good info guys. i brought up speed density because from my understanding, it makes the car a lot more daily driver friendly at that power level
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Read more, search more, more strategically. You have lots of big ideas, most of which are unnecessary for your goals. Read more. +1 on obsessively pouring over dyno results thread and build according to results you like and want.

Originally Posted by s2k zyke
From what i have read it seems like the stock block can handle 400-500whp pretty reliably. How true is this? How long should i expect it to stay reliable?
From what i have read it seems like the stock tranny/diff/t-case can handle 400-500whp pretty reliably also. How true is this? How long should i expect it to stay reliable?
TORQUE. This is a good thing, and a huge factor in what you are asking, and astonishing in a Evo compared to the Honda world. 450 whp on stock block is easy. 450 tq is also not hard to reach but is at a point where your stock rod bolts will be at risk. WHERE DO YOU WANT IT? The higher in the power band the safer to reach on stock block in general, to a point of course. Lower is more fun, but stresses your bottom end more. How long is an impossible question to answer considering the variables. One HOUR. ONE DECADE. Both are true. Read more

So far i plan on running:
tubular twin scroll maifold. (any style or manufacturer suggestions please)
gtx30 or similar sized EFR turbo. (any turbo suggestions welcome)
3" down pipe/test pipe/exhaust (no cats). (any manufacturer suggestions welcome)
ID 1000cc injectors. (need bigger for 93 pump?)
UICP/LICP/Intercooler. (any manufacturer suggestions please)
maybe cams in the future
93 pump. (possibly e85 in the future w/ bigger injectors)
That's all good, but you don't need a tubular manifold and can reach that power on a stock frame turbo. If you have E85 around and think you want to use it, build fuel system accordingly the first time, it's the same price. 80+whp on stock turbo with basic mods is better than a similarly performing turbo upgrade on 91. It's a no brainer. Read more

Still trying to figure out:
What do i need/what should i get to have a Evo tuned properly? (confused about this still)
Should i go Speed Density over MAF? Why? (still learning about this conversion)
What do i need/what should i use to control boost?
What would be the best clutch/flywheel to handle that power range while still maintaining enjoyable driveability for daily use without paying an arm and leg?
Can anybody recommend a great shop or tuner in the Tampa or Orlando Florida area for Evos?
A tuner with a wideband, tactrix cable, and knowledge. You dont need speed density. MBC or boost solenoid is up to you I choose bost solenoid for ECU controlled, gear-specific boost. There are a good number of FL tuners. Read more
My goal is to make 450whp on 93 pump and on a stock engine/drivetrain as reliably and as efficiently as possible so keep that in mind. Lead me in the right direction!
Read more

Last edited by hokiruu; Feb 16, 2013 at 02:55 AM.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 06:35 AM

Omar crespo of Tampa bay tuning does a pretty good job. They also have a decent subie evo shop. The evo mechanic Andy is very good!

Personally, I have diirk at awd in Coral Springs do my tuning. Great customer service and attention to detail
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:41 AM

Hey whats up bro? I would recommend Bold Performance or Tampa Bay Tuned if you stay in the Tampa area. Mark at Bold Performance is my personal tuner and has good rates. The only negative thing about it is they dont have an AWD dyno, he street tunes for pretty cheap. Tampa Bay Tuned has an awd dyno, but their prices are higher. A couple of my Evo buddies also go to him, one of which swapped over from the s2k scene like yourself lol
My car currently put down 305whp with bolt ons and a tune, my goal in a few months is to put down 420-450whp in a few months actually. (im deployed atm)
The parts im gonna get are:
MAP's EF3 turbo
Gsc s2 cams
MAP o2 dump
Map long tube header
grimspeed 3 port EBC
ETS fmic
Hit me up if you have any questions
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:52 AM

Stay away from S&R, which recently changed to VSR I believe.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 04:38 AM
bac

some good info here
Old Feb 25, 2013, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go to awd performance. they will tell you exactly what you gotta do to reach your goals.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 01:02 PM

I would not trust our stock tcase at 450 awhp...I suggest at least a shep stage 2 for that kinda power...
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:23 AM

^lol, lets not get to far ahead of ourselves.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
<p>Remember if you dont have the support mods for a big turbo on a 2.0 your gonna hate it. Peak boost for 1000 rpms is no fun. If you go with a ef4 or black you better have at least some 274 cams and a ported intake mani and exhaust mani. Otherwise enjoy your lowend power and torque and save up for a good setup.</p>
Old Feb 28, 2013, 05:35 AM
Evolving Member

Contact TsCompusa on here and youll get what you want.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 07:54 AM

I'll be in the 450 area after my tune, and im still on stock t-case. I'm thinking it should hold fine.... for awhile.
Old Mar 3, 2013, 04:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I make 420 plus on an Evo 8 with a ported bbk full on e85 and a bunch of bolt ons.
Old Mar 5, 2013, 02:37 PM

E85 is gonna be a big help. Just bolt ons cam and e85 you'd be damn close

Quick Reply: Best way to make 450whp on stock bottom end?