Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Best way to make 450whp on stock bottom end?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best way to make 450whp on stock bottom end?

Hello all, sorry if i posted this in the wrong area, im new. Let me start off by saying that i am totally new to Evos and the 4g63 platform in general. I come from the honda world of things and especially the s2000. My original plan was to boost my s2000 and put it around 450whp reliably which it can easily do in its sleep but in reality, its just not a practical car for daily driving (small, not passenger friendly, tiny trunk, ect.). This got me thinking about trading it in for a decent milage Evo 9, plus i have always secretly loved them and how they look. My plan is to make a RELIABLE and efficient 450whp on a stock engine and drivetrain. Before every body starts with "use search, blah blah.. etc.", i have read through the noob threads and have been researching for the past couple days, but searching on my own with my limited knowledge of the Evo is not as rewarding as asking you guys in my own thread. So please, only post helpfull and supporting info and links. Also, all suggestions and comments on the following are welcome and appreciated.

From what i have read it seems like the stock block can handle 400-500whp pretty reliably. How true is this? How long should i expect it to stay reliable?
From what i have read it seems like the stock tranny/diff/t-case can handle 400-500whp pretty reliably also. How true is this? How long should i expect it to stay reliable?

So far i plan on running:
tubular twin scroll maifold. (any style or manufacturer suggestions please)
gtx30 or similar sized EFR turbo. (any turbo suggestions welcome)
3" down pipe/test pipe/exhaust (no cats). (any manufacturer suggestions welcome)
ID 1000cc injectors. (need bigger for 93 pump?)
UICP/LICP/Intercooler. (any manufacturer suggestions please)
maybe cams in the future
93 pump. (possibly e85 in the future w/ bigger injectors)

Still trying to figure out:
What do i need/what should i get to have a Evo tuned properly? (confused about this still)
Should i go Speed Density over MAF? Why? (still learning about this conversion)
What do i need/what should i use to control boost?
What would be the best clutch/flywheel to handle that power range while still maintaining enjoyable driveability for daily use without paying an arm and leg?
Can anybody recommend a great shop or tuner in the Tampa or Orlando Florida area for Evos?

My goal is to make 450whp on 93 pump and on a stock engine/drivetrain as reliably and as efficiently as possible so keep that in mind. Lead me in the right direction!
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

450hp is reliable, most of it comes down to the tune as anything does. you dont need to do anything with the ecu if thats what your talking about with getting tuned properly. As for a boost controller id go with a bushur inline, they seem to hold boost very well. an ACT street clutch will work for you or if you ever want to go any bigger on the hp later on you could always go with an exedy twin now.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by sktng22
450hp is reliable, most of it comes down to the tune as anything does. you dont need to do anything with the ecu if thats what your talking about with getting tuned properly. As for a boost controller id go with a bushur inline, they seem to hold boost very well. an ACT street clutch will work for you or if you ever want to go any bigger on the hp later on you could always go with an exedy twin now.
as far as tuning goes, i hear about mitsulogger, evoscan, ecuflash, etc. but have no idea what to get and how to get it
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:40 PM
Evolved Member

when you goto wherever your getting tuned they will do all that for you.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 06:59 PM

when you goto wherever your getting tuned they will do all that for you.
have any recommendations of who to go to that is around tampa or orlando?
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:03 PM

Hello and welcome. I JUST got my car tuned this past Saturday for the second time in my ownership. I won't bore you with the details of the first tune, but, basically, an evo IX with all the basic bolts ons(FMIC,Inner cooler piping, exhaust, intake, cams, BOV) and an aggressive tune would sit around 340HP give or take. The IX turbo is a beast and is littered all over this forum that they've gotten them into the 10's in 1/4 mile, I think if you scored a fairly stock evo, you would want to do the basics first obviously. A bit of advice...get a twin disc clutch out of the gate. Exedy and Quartermaster make some nice ones.

now onto my second tune...I've invested in an FP red turbo, 1150cc FI, Walbro fuel pump,tubular ex. mani, o2 dump, and short route UICP, and got dynojet at 445WHP. boost at 25psi. I added a mishimoto Radiator and slim fan, not that that will help gain HP...but you get it. I'm at that 450 mark and happy for now. If you plan on building in the future which most people do, I would get the supporting parts you need first and one time, even if it is semi-overkill. (FI,Clutch, BOV)
The transfer cases in these cars are garbage, you'll be fine for awhile, but be prepared to have that puppy rebuilt in the future

BTW: Florida is peppered with excellent shops. check with Anarchy99(josh)

Last edited by xtruemassacre; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by xtruemassacre
Hello and welcome. I JUST got my car tuned this past Saturday for the second time in my ownership. I won't bore you with the details of the first tune, but, basically, an evo IX with all the basic bolts ons(FMIC,Inner cooler piping, exhaust, intake, cams, BOV) and an aggressive tune would sit around 340HP give or take. The IX turbo is a beast and is littered all over this forum that they've gotten them into the 10's in 1/4 mile, I think if you scored a fairly stock evo, you would want to do the basics first obviously. A bit of advice...get a twin disc clutch out of the gate. Exedy and Quartermaster make some nice ones.

now onto my second tune...I've invested in an FP red turbo, 1150cc FI, Walbro fuel pump,tubular ex. mani, o2 dump, and short route UICP, and got dynojet at 445WHP. boost at 25psi. I added a mishimoto Radiator and slim fan, not that that will help gain HP...but you get it. I'm at that 450 mark and happy for now. If you plan on building in the future which most people do, I would get the supporting parts you need first and one time, even if it is semi-overkill. (FI,Clutch, BOV)
The transfer cases in these cars are garbage, you'll be fine for awhile, but be prepared to have that puppy rebuilt in the future

BTW: Florida is peppered with excellent shops. check with Anarchy99(josh)
thanks for the info
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

awdmotorsports is in florida and there one of the top shops.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:30 PM

awdmotorsports is in florida and there one of the top shops.
x2
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:30 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1000 cc injectors is plenty on 93 octane...hell you could prob make about ( I would guess) close to 600 on pump gas. Def not that on e85.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:36 PM

Speed density isnt nessecary for 450. It becomes more valuable after 500. I still have MAF. Would prefer speed density as it gets rid of the maf completly and the ugly wiring. Plus then u can go to a atomospheric BOV vs recirc. For u to be at 450, stick with MAF. speed density at a 450hp capacity is a wasted expense.
As for icp...ets makes a good set up. 2.5 or 3" diameter, a stock 9 bov is great for that power. Everyone has their taste on clutches...imo ACT sucks and exedy single disk isnt no better than a OEM. Competition makes a decent stage 2 for good money. Holds a good amount of power as well.

Last edited by xtruemassacre; Feb 15, 2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm at 600 whp on stock maf.
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:52 PM

Just found this
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ch-option.html
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:18 PM
EvoM Community Team

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts
Dude, look in the dyno results sub-forum for Evos putting down the power you want and then build your car similar.

Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:30 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by golgo13
Dude, look in the dyno results sub-forum for Evos putting down the power you want and then build your car similar.

+1. 450 isn't that hard. My mod list for you...

3" turbo back with test pipe
02 dump
MAP EF3 or FP Red turbo
Tube manifold optional (Toxifab FTW!)
FMIC+piping
coil on plug setup
Competition or Exedy clutch (do your own research!)
FIC 1100 injectors
fuel rail
Walbro 255 pump

Last edited by PatricksEvilEvo; Feb 15, 2013 at 08:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Best way to make 450whp on stock bottom end?