Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ix mr shifter issue

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2013, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ix mr shifter issue

HEY EVERYONE I COULD USE SOME OPINIONS/HELP ON THIS ONE. I RECENTLY HAD A COMPETITION STAGE 2 CLUTCH WITH LIGHTWEIGHT FLYWHEEL INSTALLED. I HAVE PUT A TOTAL OF 600 MILES ON THE CLUTCH AND SO FAR SO GOOD. MY ONLY ISSUE I AM JUST STARTING TO NOTICE WHICH HAS ME STUMPED IS THAT MY 3RD AND 4TH GEAR HAVE A VERY TIGHT FEELING IN THE SHIFTER ITSELF. ITS NOT NOTCHY LIKE WHEN THE TRANNYS ARE COLD BUT IT FEELS LIKE THERE IS HESITATION IN THE SHIFTER. 1ST TO 2ND AND 5TH TO 6TH FEEL FINE AND NORMAL. THIS JUST STARTED ON SATURDAY. IF I AM DRIVING AND I GO TO DOWN SHIFT INTO 3RD YOU CAN FEEL A VIBRATION IN THE SHIFTER. IF YOU TAKE IT OUT OF FOURTH AND GO TO NEUTRAL ITS ALMOST DECEIVING TO TELL IF UR IN 4TH OR IN NEUTRAL. I HAVE TORQUE SOLUTIONS TRANNY BUSHINGS UNDER THE HOOD AND AT THE SHIFTER BASE. YOU CAN SEE THE LITTLE C-CLIP THAT HOLDS THE BUSHING IN UNDER THE HOOD IS MISSING FROM THE TOP BUT THE MAIN C-CLIP ON THE INSIDE IS STILL THERE. COULD THIS BE THAT I NEED TO A) ADJUST MY CLUTCH PEDAL, B) REBLEED THE SYSTEM, C) HAVE A INFAMOUS 6 SPEED TRANNY CONCERN, OR D)MY SHIFTER CABLES COULD DAMAGED? ALL INPUT WILL BE APPRECIATED THANKS A LOT
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Sounds to me like you have a bind in the linkages somewhere. I would start by checking those bushings you put in since the purpose of them is to tighten things up, that could be what it's done.

Did this start with the clutch install, or only recently?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 04:59 AM

Just started recently.. Im curious if mayb that little c-clip on top of bushing may be my concern because it was always on there its possible the tech didnt put it on properly and it popped off while driving. But would a little bit of play like that cause this? The transfer case was removed like 4 times because it needed to be rebuilt (long story) but are the cables anywhere within that region?
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Make sure the upper intercooler pipe and all the wiring beneath it isn't interfering with the linkage operation.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

I mean it really depends on how good/bad the mechanics were, or how they did the job.

Realistically speaking, first thing I would do is have someone else shift through the gears while you observe all the things going on as best you can.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 10:14 AM

Yeah me and one of the veteran tranny mechanics at my dealership checked it out last night. Intercooler piping, wiring etc. Are all clear of the linkage when manually moving the shift arms you can feel the hesitation moving into 3rd and 4th gear position. So its definately internal thinking possibly the shift fork. The car had the clutch done then got the death whine 380 miles into the breakin as told in my last thread regarding the humming. This car has gone down hill since clutch went in. Spent rediculous money sourcing parts to rebuild tcase since the mechanic that did the clutch said he could rebuild the tcase. Whine was still there, after that he said ring and pinion were good so then he made me rebuild the rear end thinking it was those bearings, noise was still there, and now im left with a leaking tcase that whines and a tranny thats messed up. I learned my lesson. Jacks transmissions will be rebuilding tcase within the week .
Old Mar 1, 2013, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1sikmr
Yeah me and one of the veteran tranny mechanics at my dealership checked it out last night. Intercooler piping, wiring etc. Are all clear of the linkage when manually moving the shift arms you can feel the hesitation moving into 3rd and 4th gear position. So its definately internal thinking possibly the shift fork. The car had the clutch done then got the death whine 380 miles into the breakin as told in my last thread regarding the humming. This car has gone down hill since clutch went in. Spent rediculous money sourcing parts to rebuild tcase since the mechanic that did the clutch said he could rebuild the tcase. Whine was still there, after that he said ring and pinion were good so then he made me rebuild the rear end thinking it was those bearings, noise was still there, and now im left with a leaking tcase that whines and a tranny thats messed up. I learned my lesson. Jacks transmissions will be rebuilding tcase within the week .
Wait. What?

I need to mention at least one thing here.

The "deathwhine" is one of the most overdiagnosed problems on Evos ever.

Anytime these cars make anything even RESEMBLING a whine, people get all fired up, and assume they have a blown TCase. Just because a car is whining, doesn't mean it's the t-case.

1. AWD cars make a TON of noise. Especially one with a high performance drivetrain.
2. What clutch did you put in?
3. Whoever did the work should be doing some serious looking because they may have messed something up. At the very least, things shouldn't be leaking... but your posts are a bit confusing.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I know you checked it but my vote was worth boostedwrx. That the UIP is interfering. It's difficult to see or feel but I had this after replacing my clutch. It was actually the T off of the pipe resisting the upward movement of the 6speed linkage that needs to lift up.
Old Mar 1, 2013, 08:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
if binding is localized to 3/4 its only a few things.
a fork, could be, but not likely.
slider, possibly but not likely.
syncro hub block rings or syncros, more then likely but they tend to grind.

if its not your tcase or rear diff... don't forget your driveshaft actually has two sets of bearings in it.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by propilot04
wait. What?

I need to mention at least one thing here.

The "deathwhine" is one of the most overdiagnosed problems on evos ever.

Anytime these cars make anything even resembling a whine, people get all fired up, and assume they have a blown tcase. Just because a car is whining, doesn't mean it's the t-case.

1. Awd cars make a ton of noise. especially one with a high performance drivetrain.
2. What clutch did you put in?
3. Whoever did the work should be doing some serious looking because they may have messed something up. At the very least, things shouldn't be leaking... But your posts are a bit confusing.

yeah sorry about all that. The tech that did it will not be getting my car back. I got my car back completely trashed. Mud allover one side of the car and in the interior. So while the car was in his posession it got an asskicking which i believe may have contributed this trans issue since it was never there. I put my faith and trust in this reputable mechanic and i still have a broken car after spending tons of money. Do jacks is building the tcase. I put a competition stage 2 clutch kit with lightweight flywheel. I know these cars make a lot of noise but this is a metallic whine that changes its pitch when blipping the gas and gets louder as the car goes faster. I put chasis ears on the driveshaft bearings and all are quiet when on the t-case its a loud whining metallic clashing noise. But yeah now the tcase is leaking from the tail end of housing just dripping
Old Mar 4, 2013, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by fireroasted
i know you checked it but my vote was worth boostedwrx. That the uip is interfering. It's difficult to see or feel but i had this after replacing my clutch. It was actually the t off of the pipe resisting the upward movement of the 6speed linkage that needs to lift up.
i will look into that but i was unable to verify if it was the pipe causing the issue. What "t" are you referring too??