Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Do twin disks clutches mushroom synchro rings and break synchro springs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2013, 02:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do twin disks clutches mushroom synchro rings and break synchro springs?

I was wondering if twin disks clutches on evo transmissions cause synchro rings to get mushroomed at the key ways area, and break syncro springs. Trying to figure out if this issue is only true on dsm transmissions. If issue does not exist on evo transmissions, then I would like to know why.

DSM transmission experience with twin disk clutch:
I just rebuilt my GSX transmission because the twin disk clutch killed synchro springs in 3rd/4th hub and 5th/reverse hub. Reverse/5th, 4th and 3rd double synchro rings were mushroomed. All the damage occurred within 1K miles of a very expensive rebuild service. This time I decided to rebuild the transmission by myself. Replaced reverse synchro and all broken springs, managed to modify all syncro rings by removing the mushroomed area and hope that the material removed will give enough room to mushroom withouth getting the synchro rings jammed in the hub. Assembled transmission with higher preloads. Pending to be tested.

Last edited by 1998_GSX; Feb 28, 2013 at 02:32 AM. Reason: .
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:49 PM

I have spoken to numerous tuners before i had my twin disc installed and every single person told me the safest way to go is with a twin disc. I had an evo 8 with a stage 2 3 puck clutch and i ruined all of synchros and had to have a rebuild after 5k miles.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You are more at risk of ruining a trans with a choice of poor driving/shifting skills and bad fluid choices then a clutch.. Clutches dont ruin syncros or put load on them in any fashion--drivers do.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Above guy is correct, you shouldnt have any issues with a twin disk
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Was you clutch properly adjusted?
I ruined my 9 trans by not adjusting the clutch and it was dragging the clutch when shifting wich cause me to break my 4th and 5th gear synchros.
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...kills-synchros
Old Mar 6, 2013, 05:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 191 Likes on 135 Posts
Never had any issues with my dsm or evo trannys with twins in both cars. I have a 7 leg QM in my talon and an Exedy twin in my evo.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by 2006GSR
Was you clutch properly adjusted?
I ruined my 9 trans by not adjusting the clutch and it was dragging the clutch when shifting wich cause me to break my 4th and 5th gear synchros.
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...kills-synchros
My clutch is not dragging, verified with car lifted from the ground, clutch pushed to the floor, 1st gear slected, full throttle 7K rpm rev limiter, wheels did not move.

Dragging clutch burns synchros up and damages engagement teeth on the gears and sliders if forced into a gear, I did not have those issues.

The issue I described in my post was broken springs and mushroomed synchro rings. Here is what i am talking about:
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...hrooming-rings

Note: I just rebuilt the transmission on my own and modified all synchro rings. Also, set tighter preloads on input/interm/output shafts because I feel they were on a loose side from a previous stage 4 build. I hope tighter preloads will reduce vibrations/harmonics coming from the crank.

Old Mar 7, 2013, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by meckert
You are more at risk of ruining a trans with a choice of poor driving/shifting skills and bad fluid choices then a clutch.. Clutches dont ruin syncros or put load on them in any fashion--drivers do.
I do not see how driving skills will cause synchro springs to break and synchro rings to mushroom. In the link below you will see the pictures of what I am talking about:
http://www.jackstransmissions.com/pa...hrooming-rings