Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Exedy Triple Plate Clutch vs Quartermaster Twin disc

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exedy Triple Plate Clutch vs Quartermaster Twin disc

Hello guys,

Im new here, but i really need you advice me about what to purchase. I need to buy a new clutch and im trying to decide if purchase A Exedy triple plate clutch standard (part: MM023SR) or Quarter master twin disc 8 legs Street version.

Both clutch cost the same, like USD$1,700-USD$1,800. So i want the better choise for my evo VIII, is a daily drive car, It have 395 hp for now but next year i will try to make like 500-550 whp. So i want a clutch can handly that later.

For your opinion wich is better clutch for my purpose?
wich one have less noise?
Wich one is more confortable drive (friendly drive)?
Wich one give me better performance?

I was reading many post about both clutch. but i really need your opinions.

QuarterMaster: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...lutch-out.html
Exedy triple clutch: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...sc-clutch.html

I really apreciate all your comments.

Thanks a lot.

Edward.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:26 AM
Evolving Member

^ yupp
Old Mar 7, 2013, 02:47 AM
Evolving Member

I have experience with Quarter master twin. Its great clutch but very noisy. I am going Exedy triple in my next build.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 04:34 AM

I have a Exedy twin plate, I'm happy, but it is also noisy
Old Mar 7, 2013, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Exedy triple is about $350 more than the QM. The QM shifts like butter and has far less lockout issues.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My triple has held up great on my car that has been on the track with slicks, tons and tons of WOT shifting/passes, and zero lockout issues. Drivability the triple is easy for me, a little harder than my exedy stage one I had in there before, but that's to be expected. As soon as you're used to the engagement differences between single and multi plate clutches as well as when they are cold vs when they have some heat into them you'll be fine either way.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Both clutches are total overkill for your goals but are still very streetable. The main difference is the QM is a push conversion clutch vs. the standard Exedy's which are pull clutches. The pull clutches are more susceptible to the throwout bearing popping out of the retainer ring during very fast shifts (yes it still can happen with the clutch fork stop properly adjusted under ideal circumstances). That's just a difference between the two to consider.

Also, push clutches do apply pressure against the thrust bearings on dry, cold startups which can cause a bit more premature wear compared to the pull type clutches, which actually remove the forward load on the thrust bearings during startup. This is one reason the DSM's used to disable the clutch switch so they could start the engine without the need to depress the clutch and apply pressure to the thrust bearings.

-Jamie

Last edited by Dynotech Tuning; Mar 9, 2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lexus01IS
I have experience with Quarter master twin. Its great clutch but very noisy. I am going Exedy triple in my next build.
You used the same clutch? Quarter master twin disc 8 legs Street version.?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:14 AM

Wich one have more noise? The Quarter master twin disc 8 legs Street version or the Exedy Triple disc Standard?
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
They seem to both have about the same noise really. It's nothing horrific but it's a price you pay for having a clutch that holds nearly 2-3x the torque as factory.

-Jamie
Old Mar 8, 2013, 01:50 PM

It's not suposse the tripple plate is better than double?
How the QM double can be good like exedy tripple?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The pull clutch does not remove the load from the thrust bearing it just puts it on the other side of the bearing. I still disable the clutch switch on my EVO.
Originally Posted by Dynotech Tuning
Both clutches are total overkill for your goals but are still very streetable. The main difference is the QM is a push conversion clutch vs. the standard Exedy's which are pull clutches. The pull clutches are more susceptible to the throwout bearing popping out of the retainer ring during very fast shifts (yes it still can happen with the clutch fork stop properly adjusted under ideal circumstances). That's just a difference between the two to consider.

Also, push clutches do apply pressure against the thrust bearings on dry, cold startups which can cause a bit more premature wear compared to the pull type clutches, which actually remove the load on the thrust bearings during startup. This is one reason the DSM's used to disable the clutch switch so they could start the engine without the need to depress the clutch and apply pressure to the thrust bearings.

-Jamie
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't recommend the QM clutch for a true daily driver. The 7.25" clutch doesn't like Stop and go traffic or hills. I had to change my disks in my PTT every 12k miles. That was every 6 months for me. I am putting it back in possibly since my car won't be a daily driver any more.
Old Mar 8, 2013, 07:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Out of those two, I only have experience with Exedy, but after running their multi-plate clutches I would be hard pressed to try anything else. I've never had an issue with one. Very streetable, will hold all the power you can throw at it.
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

I'm in the same boat. Rebuild my exedy triple or try the qm 8 leg street. I know people said in the past that the qm's were noisy, harsh and did not last long. Has that changed now? Can someone with an 8 leg chime in??

Quick Reply: Exedy Triple Plate Clutch vs Quartermaster Twin disc