Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

What fluid could leak between trans & tcase

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:00 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
What fluid could leak between trans & tcase

I am troubleshooting some minor leaks since my build last year. I just took the oil pan off again and redid that gasket job, and found the oil line above the tcase on the block below the intake was wet also. New copper washers I guess would have prevented that during re-essembly.

However I had some grayish deposits between the tcase and trans, seemingly leaking out at the joint between the two. I bought the seals, 2 o rings and output shaft seal, pulled the subframe off (again), pulled the tcase and replaced all the seals on the bench and very gently and perfectly straight pushed the tcase back on. No drama since its so easy with the subframe out of the car.

The oil in the trans wasn't drained but mostly out by removing the shafts, the tcase oil is fully drained. When I installed the ACD line the seam between the two started getting wet very slowly. I wiped it and watched it do it again.

Is this ATF fluid? Since that is really the only fluid available. Or could it be trans oil left in the trans and somehow pushed out there during installation? what the heck is going on if it leaks when the friggin boxes are basically empty?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:26 PM
Evolved Member

nothing?

OK, simpler question.

What fluids go through the seals between the tcase and trans.

The little o ring passes what fluid?

The big oring around the output shaft?

So is it trans fluid in the tcase or tcase fluid in the trans or ACD fluid for some reason.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The little O-ring passes Trans oil to the passanger side Tcase bearing, Why? cause the Tcase fluid level wouldnt reach it otherwise. It has a inner seal inside the Tcase the prevents Trans oil from getting inside the Tcase. The larger O-ring prevent trans oil leaking out from the mating of the Tcase and trans, There is also a seal that keeps fluids sealed inbetween the 2 that is set into the Tcase, this one you can see.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:31 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by blowngasket
The little O-ring passes Trans oil to the passanger side Tcase bearing, Why? cause the Tcase fluid level wouldnt reach it otherwise. It has a inner seal inside the Tcase the prevents Trans oil from getting inside the Tcase. The larger O-ring prevent trans oil leaking out from the mating of the Tcase and trans, There is also a seal that keeps fluids sealed inbetween the 2 that is set into the Tcase, this one you can see.
So there is 3 separated fluids in the tcase.

I just put the tcase back on the trans, the tcase oil was completely drained, the trans oil was drained as much as would come out at the shafts, so I wouldn't lose it all. All 3 seals were replaced though they looked good. When I put it back together nice and easy and simple it went together easy ( the subframe is out ), I put the ACD hose back on, and the crack between the tcase and trans started forming a wet spot, dried it and then it repeated.

It's so slight I can't tell what it is, ATF fluid, tcase oil, or trans oil. I would think its impossible to be tcase fluid because its totally empty, if trans fluid then how if all the fluid at the shafts already drained out. Finally if its ATF from the ACD line why the heck is it possible to come out there?
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:28 PM
Evolved Member

Just to loop back on my own question for anyone else reading this.

The Tcase does have 3 fluids in it. Trans fluid, tcase oil, and ATF fluid.

The trans fluid goes through the top small oring to lubed the passenger bearing. It also is inside the main shaft(s), big oring.

When you pushed the two together and the trans isn't completely drained, like mine was not, when the shafts insert into each other they will displace a tiny bit of fluid remaining in there, and it will squeeze out before the large oring has completely sealed.

I proved this the first time, and separated the two, and then completely drained the trans. Did exactly the same steps and nothing showed signed of any wetness. Several days later and still dry.