Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JB Red> BB BBK-B (spool difference?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blackenedwings
Yup, the BB BBK-B hasn't gotten as many dynos as I would like to see, but its on my list for future upgrades. Please post your dyno when you get it.
I have one coming in a few days. I will be getting tuned on MS109 at the end of the month and I will report back with what it can do.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Anyway a BB is the way to go, you want it for sure.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by GTijoejoe
No offense...but I'm going to bet they have equipment to measure such a thing much much more sophisticated then you do which proves their information correct, otherwise I doubt they are in the business of publishing false information

now, it maybe for a specific situation hahahahaha
I have spent countless hours swapping parts to see what works and what doesnt. if you dont want to gain knowledge from that experience its no skin off my back. I did the swapping for my own knowledge gain.

in the end the reason they say there is a 15% gain is because outside this forum the term spool is used to describe both spool and transient response. when you group the two terms together the statement works.

I could give you a more technical reason why there is no spool gain but dont have the 10 minutes to give you. if you want to go on believing there is a spool gain because garrett said so feel free to do so.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
in the end the reason they say there is a 15% gain is because outside this forum the term spool is used to describe both spool and transient response. when you group the two terms together the statement works.
Exactly right. They just used a word play and bloated stats to convince you. Their 15% was probably the best of 100 trials where the other 99 was a meager 7-10%.
Then you toss in the common reference of spool and you' e just been fooled.
I dont exactly agree that they are exact. Anytime you remove friction it will increase accell. However it wont be remotely noticable so for arguements sake i will stick with they spool the same.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So while initial "spool" isn't any better with a bb turbo, the transient response is?
Old Mar 20, 2013, 06:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
Exactly right. They just used a word play and bloated stats to convince you. Their 15% was probably the best of 100 trials where the other 99 was a meager 7-10%.
Then you toss in the common reference of spool and you' e just been fooled.
I dont exactly agree that they are exact. Anytime you remove friction it will increase accell. However it wont be remotely noticable so for arguements sake i will stick with they spool the same.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:08 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That Garrett quote to my knowledge was published when their Ballistic line of Ball Bearing CHRA's were first released which means they would have been comparing it to 40 year old journal bearing turbo technology and probably a p-trim or q-trim wheel which would have been larger than the GT30R and 35R's they would have been comparing them too. So that number is skewed by a lot and you'll find if you take a like sized turbo in jb and bb and test them you will never see 15% better initial spool response in real world testing. You might be able to replicate it on a test stand with some "wizardry" but put it on a car and you wouldn't notice.

The reason BB offers better transient response is that it doesn't slow down as much when you let off the throttle it retains more inertia (shaft speed) so that when exhaust is reintroduced at a high rate it doesn't have far to go to reach it's target shaft speed.

-Michael
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:05 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by CT9Asphixyation
So while initial "spool" isn't any better with a bb turbo, the transient response is?
100% correct. You are using a known force to accelerate a known mass (The Engine blowing into the Turbine) You can't magically accelerate something faster with the same force unless you change the mass of the turbine wheel itself which Mitsu had done on the TME turbo. It was good for the VIII's but I have read that the IX's TME turbos start to break when pushed beyond stock turbo limits.

Anyways, get a BB, different ball game in around town driving, not even a discussion. Drag racing when the turbo is spooled it stays so for a reasonable amount of time between shifts so you are in boost longer.

Initial spool-up? Not an ounce of change.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 11:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Michael @ FP
That Garrett quote to my knowledge was published when their Ballistic line of Ball Bearing CHRA's were first released which means they would have been comparing it to 40 year old journal bearing turbo technology and probably a p-trim or q-trim wheel which would have been larger than the GT30R and 35R's they would have been comparing them too. So that number is skewed by a lot and you'll find if you take a like sized turbo in jb and bb and test them you will never see 15% better initial spool response in real world testing. You might be able to replicate it on a test stand with some "wizardry" but put it on a car and you wouldn't notice.

The reason BB offers better transient response is that it doesn't slow down as much when you let off the throttle it retains more inertia (shaft speed) so that when exhaust is reintroduced at a high rate it doesn't have far to go to reach it's target shaft speed.

-Michael

What about the friction a JB provides Vs. a BB? Is there anything in there to hurt spool-up in a 100% completely healthy turbo?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Probably this is OT, but the question about frictional losses and the lower friction of ball bearings vs. Journal bearings, reminded me about my daughter's roller hockey skates.

The wheels on those skates didnt originally come fitted with ballbearings. So, we used to swap out the OEM wheel bearings for aftermarket, replacement, ceramic ballbearings.

I just remember the night and day difference in how the ballbearings allowed her to sustain her coasting speeds when skating. With the ballbearings she could effortlessly sustain her coasting speed whereas, by comparison, with the non BB wheels she could not sustain speed while coasting. This kinda jives with what FP's Michael stated above.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:11 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by High_PSI
What about the friction a JB provides Vs. a BB? Is there anything in there to hurt spool-up in a 100% completely healthy turbo?
This seems like the same question just asked a different way, but the answer is still no. Frame for frame there is no difference in initial response going from JB to BB.

-Michael
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:19 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sparky
Probably this is OT, but the question about frictional losses and the lower friction of ball bearings vs. Journal bearings, reminded me about my daughter's roller hockey skates.

The wheels on those skates didnt originally come fitted with ballbearings. So, we used to swap out the OEM wheel bearings for aftermarket, replacement, ceramic ballbearings.

I just remember the night and day difference in how the ballbearings allowed her to sustain her coasting speeds when skating. With the ballbearings she could effortlessly sustain her coasting speed whereas with the non BB wheels she couldn't coast at all.
I think it's well enough on topic as it applies to the mechanics behind it.

If you were to push your daughter up to 5mph the initial force required would be the same from bearing system to bearing system though. Unless you changed the weight of the person, incline, head wind, etc.... then the intial force would remain constant.

-Michael
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:06 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Michael @ FP
This seems like the same question just asked a different way, but the answer is still no. Frame for frame there is no difference in initial response going from JB to BB.

-Michael
Boost threshold is not changed regardless of bearing type is that what we all agree upon?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:48 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 211ratsbud
Boost threshold is not changed regardless of bearing type is that what we all agree upon?
Correct.

As long as by boost threshold you mean the point where there's enough exhaust gas to spin the wheel quick enough for enough air to be generated by the compressor wheel to fill the intake tract of the vehicle and see positive manifold pressure.

-Michael
Old Mar 22, 2013, 12:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Would the rate of spool be identical on two identically configured turbos differing only in the bearing type? One of the two turbos spinning on journal bearings whereas the other spins on ball bearings.

Quick Reply: JB Red> BB BBK-B (spool difference?)