Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

JB Red> BB BBK-B (spool difference?)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
JB Red> BB BBK-B (spool difference?)

I will be swapping my JB Red out for the BB BBK-B. Does anyone have any idea what sort of improvement I should expect in terms of turbo spoolup? All other hardware will remain equal. Should I expect a 500-600 RPM difference?

What do you guys think? Any direct experience invited. Tuner's comments appreciated. Of course, everyones comments invited.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 13, 2013 at 10:51 AM.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 66 Likes on 58 Posts
I have never had a bb red , but from looking at peoples dyno graphs I would say that there pretty comparable in spool to the bb bbk-b . Mine's hits 30# of boost at about 4350 rpm , but I'm running the 3.5" surge cover which is probably hurting spool a little. Also I think my tuner is making it spool a little later to keep the torque down.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ctfpevoVIII
I have never had a bb red , but from looking at peoples dyno graphs I would say that there pretty comparable in spool to the bb bbk-b . Mine's hits 30# of boost at about 4350 rpm , but I'm running the 3.5" surge cover which is probably hurting spool a little. Also I think my tuner is making it spool a little later to keep the torque down.
Thanks for responding. My Red is a journal bearing turbo. So, I will be going from a journal bearing Red, to a ball bearing B.

Comparing apples to apples, I vaguely recall that a JB "B" spools a couple ticks quicker than a JB Red. Supposing similar aero design tech on the comp wheels, this goes to reason since the "B" is smaller and thus has a lower mass, lower inertia rorating assembly.

If the JB version of the B spools a couple clicks quicker (say 200-300 RPM), than the JB Red, then we have to assume that all else remaining equal, a BB version of the B should likewise spool 2-3 clicks sooner than a BB Red.

I figure that my BBK-B should spool about 500 RPM sooner than my old tech JB Red. What do you guys think? Can I hope for a 500 RPM improvement in spool?
Old Mar 13, 2013, 05:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There have been graphs that show the BB-BBK-B spool identical to the BBK-Full. Therefore, it should outspool the FP Red, depending on your set up, I would guess at least a few hundred rpms.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 06:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by sparky
Thanks for responding. My Red is a journal bearing turbo. So, I will be going from a journal bearing Red, to a ball bearing B.

Comparing apples to apples, I vaguely recall that a JB "B" spools a couple ticks quicker than a JB Red. Supposing similar aero design tech on the comp wheels, this goes to reason since the "B" is smaller and thus has a lower mass, lower inertia rorating assembly.

If the JB version of the B spools a couple clicks quicker (say 200-300 RPM), than the JB Red, then we have to assume that all else remaining equal, a BB version of the B should likewise spool 2-3 clicks sooner than a BB Red.

I figure that my BBK-B should spool about 500 RPM sooner than my old tech JB Red. What do you guys think? Can I hope for a 500 RPM improvement in spool?
Just so you know, Ball bearing does absolutely nothing to increase spool. All it does is increase response once things get going. I had a JB Red and then a BB Red, night and day in response, zero difference in spool.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by High_PSI
Just so you know, Ball bearing does absolutely nothing to increase spool. All it does is increase response once things get going. I had a JB Red and then a BB Red, night and day in response, zero difference in spool.
From Garrett:
Turbo Response – When driving a vehicle with the cartridge ball bearing turbocharger, you will find exceptionally crisp and strong throttle response. Garrett Ball Bearing turbochargers spool up 15% faster than traditional journal bearings. This produces an improved response that can be converted to quicker 0-60 mph speed. In fact, some professional drivers of Garrett ball-bearing turbocharged engines report that they feel like they are driving a big, normally aspirated engine.
Tests run on CART turbos have shown that ball-bearings have up to half of the power consumption of traditional bearings. The result is faster time to boost which translates into better drivability and acceleration.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:42 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo unknown
There have been graphs that show the BB-BBK-B spool identical to the BBK-Full......
Thanks. This gives me a good idea relatively of what to expect in terms of spool. I had an OS Green on my car. And I think that the Full spooled about in the same league with my OS Green(just more power, of course). So, I can extrapolate. I should be happy with my new acquisition.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yup, the BB BBK-B hasn't gotten as many dynos as I would like to see, but its on my list for future upgrades. Please post your dyno when you get it.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BDecker9
From Garrett:
Such B.S. It doesn't spool better HOWEVER it stays spooled longer between shifts and the transient response is amazing. Teh JB is very uniform and drops between shifts.

That said always go BB when you can.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:54 PM
Evolving Member

Such B.S. It doesn't spool better HOWEVER it stays spooled longer between shifts and the transient response is amazing. Teh JB is very uniform and drops between shifts.

I'm not sure if I would argue with the engineer that probably wrote that. As much as people **** on Garrett, they're still the premium turbo company in the world, and sell way more turbos than any other company (maybe Holset is 2nd). I wouldn't argue with their Engineers about their R&D
Old Mar 14, 2013, 02:55 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by BDecker9
I'm not sure if I would argue with the engineer that probably wrote that. As much as people **** on Garrett, they're still the premium turbo company in the world, and sell way more turbos than any other company (maybe Holset is 2nd). I wouldn't argue with their Engineers about their R&D
You can't change physics man. It certainly spools faster between shifts as it stays in boost longer due to BB. But you are accelerating a known mass to a know speed. Nothing changes in that I promise you. I have gone back to back between a JB Turbo and a BB Turbo, same exact wheel (Went from a JB Red to a BB RED)

The initial spool is the same. The add was probably written by a sales guy misunderstanding the logic that Engineers have. The biggest benefit of a BB unit is that it stays spooled between shifts, that is a massive advantage.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:23 PM
Evolving Member

You can't change physics man. It certainly spools faster between shifts as it stays in boost longer due to BB. But you are accelerating a known mass to a know speed. Nothing changes in that I promise you. I have gone back to back between a JB Turbo and a BB Turbo, same exact wheel (Went from a JB Red to a BB RED)

The initial spool is the same. The add was probably written by a sales guy misunderstanding the logic that Engineers have. The biggest benefit of a BB unit is that it stays spooled between shifts, that is a massive advantage.
Speak to Garrett about it, I'm not debating it. I could care less between the difference. A turbo is a turbo, whether big, small, medium, bb, jb or wooden I just know that's what Garrett says.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
-yep garrett is just plain wrong on the 15% quote. I have had same experience HighPsi is trying to convey, Bb doesnt do squat for initial roll on spool up.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by 94AWDcoupe
-yep garrett is just plain wrong on the 15% quote. I have had same experience HighPsi is trying to convey, Bb doesnt do squat for initial roll on spool up.
No offense...but I'm going to bet they have equipment to measure such a thing much much more sophisticated then you do which proves their information correct, otherwise I doubt they are in the business of publishing false information

now, it maybe for a specific situation hahahahaha

Last edited by GTijoejoe; Mar 14, 2013 at 07:08 PM.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 08:08 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 I was going to say the same exact thing but you beat me to it.

Quick Reply: JB Red> BB BBK-B (spool difference?)