Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Axle Rebuild Anyone

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2013, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Axle Rebuild Anyone

So I just tore a CV boot on front left axle by accident. And learned a hard lesson not to use Advanced Auto axle as replacement on our Evo. It started leaking tranny fluid. It seems their axle is bit shorter than ours according to an earlier thread...

Also, in the process of plying out the axle with a crow bar I lightly kinked the round rubber seal on the tranny case. I'm hoping this is not a source of the leak.

But, my main inquiry is that since the Mitsu dealer sells their CV boot rebuild kit for $65 and the mechanics of putting together an axle seems simple why not rebuild at home? Anyone have experience in this?

It seems like a big waste in ditching the axle for a torn CV boot or dish out $650 for a new unit...

thanks
Old Mar 22, 2013, 10:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by spyderx
...I lightly kinked the round rubber seal on the tranny case. I'm hoping this is not a source of the leak.
It might leak as I had to replace those seals before on the rear diff as it had a little rip in it. Oil would slowly drain out.
Old Mar 23, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I did boots on my DSM and my Subie. The axle boots on the Subie leaked from the factory. If you catch the torn boot in time, boot replacement is an excellent choice. On the front, the usual place for problems, with the tripod removed, slide the outer boot over the axle from the inboard end and then the inner boot and reinstall the tripod. You'll need a special pliers, depending on clamp style, about $35. I've never heard of a Evo axle wearing out if the boots were okay.