Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

CBRD BIG O2 housing/downpipe vs Map recirc wastegate eliminator

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CBRD BIG O2 housing/downpipe vs Map recirc wastegate eliminator

hi, i dont like external dumps and these 2 seem to be the best options on the market as far as O2 housings are concerned.

$925 for the MAP piece
$895 for the CBRD piece

since i dont often see results for either of these (probably because of STEEP price)
which do you think would give me most power?

http://cbrd.mybigcommerce.com/cbrd-b...ownpipe-combo/

http://www.maperformance.com/map-sta...l#.UU-y6Fda8vs

or should i just suck it up and run an external because of the additional 10-20whp?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Why not this one instead? It is $560 vs $925. You have to select recirculate as one of the options in the drop down menu.

http://www.maperformance.com/map-sta...l#.UU-3IhevWLU
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:27 PM
Evolving Member

thanks, i didnt think there was an option on that one for recirculating.

$609 sure is alot cheaper. would there be any boost creep issues since there is no external wastegate?
Old Mar 24, 2013, 08:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
shouldnt have any boost creep if you get the 3D contour'd one.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:01 PM
Evolving Member

I'm ordering CBRD tonight, fwiw
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The cbrd piece is really nice, had mine on for about a year gave me some nice results and its very well made.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 10:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TigOLDBiTTies
......should i....run an external because of the additional 10-20whp?
Did you just pull these absolutes out of the air? It is not chiseled in granite that simply swapping a remote wastegate onto a 16G in place of the integral gate will gain 20 WHP.

I think that in general a post turbine housing, post bypass port design is at best a compromise. The unaltered bypass port itself remains a flow restriction. I wouldn't run that hokey looking thing.

By contrast, a pre-turbine sourced, dual gated design is a no compromise solution that respects TS integrity. Of course, this would involve additional expense due to the dual externals and a custom dual flanged header, one flange for each set of paired primary runners.

ETS has built a custom dual-flanged header for the 16G. That other design that jerry rigs a remote gate as an afterthought, beyond the turbine housing defies logic IMO. It does nothing to address the flow restriction of the bypass port (s).

Last edited by sparky; Mar 24, 2013 at 10:41 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:31 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by sparky
Did you just pull these absolutes out of the air? It is not chiseled in granite that simply swapping a remote wastegate onto a 16G in place of the integral gate will gain 20 WHP.

I think that in general a post turbine housing, post bypass port design is at best a compromise. The unaltered bypass port itself remains a flow restriction. I wouldn't run that hokey looking thing.

By contrast, a pre-turbine sourced, dual gated design is a no compromise solution that respects TS integrity. Of course, this would involve additional expense due to the dual externals and a custom dual flanged header, one flange for each set of paired primary runners.

ETS has built a custom dual-flanged header for the 16G. That other design that jerry rigs a remote gate as an afterthought, beyond the turbine housing defies logic IMO. It does nothing to address the flow restriction of the bypass port (s).
sorry, i didnt mention the setup it was going on. this would be on an fp black at high boost and yes it was a rough estimate but it isnt unrealistic. John Bradley has mentioned that there are other benefits to an external dump besides the lack of turbulence.

i wasnt sure on the 2nd wastegate setup either. ill probably just go with the one in the 2nd post and rely on my 25psi internal gate.

thanks for your reply
Old Mar 25, 2013, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, Bradley (aka, Lucas) has considerable firsthand experience with the Black in general and how it behaves and responds to different wastegate solutions. He knows what makes the Black creep too and how to solve that particular boost control issue. Definitely, it would be helpful to get his take before purchasing.

Although you might not think so, the Black has some unique boost control idiosincracies. For example, the Black is a turbo that benefits from porting the transitional entrance(s) into the bypass port(s). Lucas knows that stuff backwards and forwards too. Those guys up in the Evergreen State have an unfair advantage though, as everything is legal up there. LOL.

Last edited by sparky; Mar 25, 2013 at 01:08 AM.