Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

2.1 build, need advise!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Im in need of building a 2.1 myself. My 4g63 block is toast and I am thinking of going to a 4g64 block due to cost. Long story short, I was sent the wrong pistons and blew up the block on the dyno. The bore is 87mm and the maching shop says that i need and .020 taken out to clean the cylinders.

There should be a sticky for what is needed for a 2.1 and 2.4 build. Rods, gaskets, belts pulleys, etc... I am having a hard time finding all the parts I need from so many different threads.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolve_VIII
Im in need of building a 2.1 myself. My 4g63 block is toast and I am thinking of going to a 4g64 block due to cost. Long story short, I was sent the wrong pistons and blew up the block on the dyno. The bore is 87mm and the maching shop says that i need and .020 taken out to clean the cylinders.

There should be a sticky for what is needed for a 2.1 and 2.4 build. Rods, gaskets, belts pulleys, etc... I am having a hard time finding all the parts I need from so many different threads.

Sorry to hear that man. A 2.1 guide would be great. Maybe you can put it together ??

Also you didn't check everything (ie piston size) with a micrometer before installation ?
That's your fault lol don't mean to be rude. I check to make sure EVERYTHING is within spec, prior to installation.. Maybe a lesson learned the OP can take, get your engine built, by an engine builder. Especially if this your first time.

Last edited by BEKevo; Mar 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BEKevo
Sorry to hear that man. A 2.1 guide would be great. Maybe you can put it together ??

Also you didn't check everything (ie piston size) with a micrometer before installation ?
That's your fault lol don't mean to be rude. I check to make sure EVERYTHING is within spec, prior to installation.. Maybe a lesson learned the OP can take, get your engine built, by an engine builder. Especially if this your first time.
I was thinking about putting one together after the 10 hours of searching today.

I actually ordered the pistons and sent them to the machine shop. Prior to that i dropped off the block.

They called me when it was done and I picked everything up. Then I saw that they bored it to 87mm. (not 85.5) Even then it should have been fine. The piston to wall on each cylinder was .00425" like I specified when I dropped off the engine. I measured everything prior to install.

Since the wrong pistons were installed, the deck height was off lowering my compression to 8.25. Also, the way the wear is on the cylinder, it looks like the piston was pressing against the wall like the wrist pin was off center. IMO.

This was my first EVO build but not the first engine. My lesson learned was to have everything shipped to my house and inspected before going to the machine shop.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
okay i read all of your suggestions, and i think just doing a 2.0L build would be enough, cause like someone said about that a 4g64 block has its nicks and nacks,i think you even have to drill oil squirters,what ever that is....

my engine is in good shape,its still running,just beat a honda integra couple of days ago, but now i want my car to make more power..

realistically, how high can a 2.0 rev?

and when i order the pistons, should i order the standard size or 0.20" over size?
whats the diff between the two?

thanks for all your replys
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
and yea i forgot to say,the engine will be built by an experinced mechanic, but he's no expert in 4g63 platform, cause we dont have many evo's where i live and, it will be his first 4g63 build..

fingers crossed!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evolve_VIII
I was thinking about putting one together after the 10 hours of searching today.

I actually ordered the pistons and sent them to the machine shop. Prior to that i dropped off the block.

They called me when it was done and I picked everything up. Then I saw that they bored it to 87mm. (not 85.5) Even then it should have been fine. The piston to wall on each cylinder was .00425" like I specified when I dropped off the engine. I measured everything prior to install.

Since the wrong pistons were installed, the deck height was off lowering my compression to 8.25. Also, the way the wear is on the cylinder, it looks like the piston was pressing against the wall like the wrist pin was off center. IMO.

This was my first EVO build but not the first engine. My lesson learned was to have everything shipped to my house and inspected before going to the machine shop.

I see.. Hopefully you have better luck next time.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 10:18 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by babaz7

my engine is in good shape,its still running,just beat a honda integra couple of days ago, but now i want my car to make more power..
That's good you beat an integra...
Old Mar 26, 2013, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by babaz7
and also will the stock 4g63 crank handle 9000+ rpm's or do i need a aftermarket one?
yes the 4g64 + 6g63 crank = 2.1L.
the stock 4g63 crank will be fine at 9000 rpm. a built 2.1l is able to rev 10,500 reliably all day long, from what i've be told from Drew at MAP.