Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Another ACT clutch question

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Another ACT clutch question

So I have been searching and searching for a clutch I want to put in my car and I can't figure out what kind of ACT to go with. Read alot of lockout with the XTSS and most like the HDSS. I personally have used ACT in other vehicles in the past and loved the feel of the clutch but I dont know which model to go with on the EVO. Im suppose to be making around 400 awhp so Im not positive if the HDSS will hold up to the torque and hp. I currently have a twin disk but I can't figure out by who. The guy before me is a retard so he doesn't know anything about the car and when I look in the inspection ports I only see gray/silver so I can't determine the maker. The car is daily driven and this clutch sure holds up to the power when going but the stop and go traffic is detroying the car. One day it will engage smooth and the next it hits so hard that everything in the car bangs and the car dies. Now it is to the point that suspension sounds like it is popping up front and I dont want to continue to destroy the car. Lastly, my wife cannot drive it as is because the clutch is so violent....not that I WANT her to drive the car but if she needed to she can't. Every shop the car has been to has resulted in them calling me and complaining to me about how harsh the clutch is. Ill sell it if i can but I need a clutch that will hold 400-500 awhp (to be safe) and is friendly in traffic/daily driving.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
you need to look at torque ratings for your clutch...not so much HP. have you looked up the specs for the different Act clutches. not that hard.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:53 AM
Evolving Member

Yep:

http://www.maperformance.com/products/act_KitChart.jpg
Old Mar 28, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

But a chart doesn't tell you real world experiences. Based on the chart the XTSS can hold more but do I really need that much clamp force? Is it worth the possible lockout issue? If not then the HDSS might be the route to go. But if the XTSS lockout is just more of an install issue and it would be a better fit for the work I have done to my vehicle and yet a easy to drive clutch, I would go that route. Just curious as to what people think when comparing the two.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
I wouldn't put another ACT clutch in my EVO if it was free and ACT themselves were doing the job.

Clutch is fine to about 7600 rpm and then it's useless

Going with Lucas's choice this time around

http://www.shopenglishracing.com/Evo...lutch-Kit.html
Old Mar 28, 2013, 12:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by DarkEvo
So I have been searching and searching for a clutch I want to put in my car and I can't figure out what kind of ACT to go with. Read alot of lockout with the XTSS and most like the HDSS. I personally have used ACT in other vehicles in the past and loved the feel of the clutch but I dont know which model to go with on the EVO. Im suppose to be making around 400 awhp so Im not positive if the HDSS will hold up to the torque and hp. I currently have a twin disk but I can't figure out by who. The guy before me is a retard so he doesn't know anything about the car and when I look in the inspection ports I only see gray/silver so I can't determine the maker. The car is daily driven and this clutch sure holds up to the power when going but the stop and go traffic is detroying the car. One day it will engage smooth and the next it hits so hard that everything in the car bangs and the car dies. Now it is to the point that suspension sounds like it is popping up front and I dont want to continue to destroy the car. Lastly, my wife cannot drive it as is because the clutch is so violent....not that I WANT her to drive the car but if she needed to she can't. Every shop the car has been to has resulted in them calling me and complaining to me about how harsh the clutch is. Ill sell it if i can but I need a clutch that will hold 400-500 awhp (to be safe) and is friendly in traffic/daily driving.
Certainly the trq rating is a major consideration.. Others are disc design, if you hate the harsh engagement and drive it as std transportation durning the week in traffic, go with a sprung / single disc design and match that with the trq rating and stay away from lightened fly wheeels as well, that should provide you the smoothest engagement-- these are just general statements but are major determining factors in engagement and true drivability. My .02.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by meckert
Certainly the trq rating is a major consideration.. Others are disc design, if you hate the harsh engagement and drive it as std transportation durning the week in traffic, go with a sprung / single disc design and match that with the trq rating and stay away from lightened fly wheeels as well, that should provide you the smoothest engagement-- these are just general statements but are major determining factors in engagement and true drivability. My .02.
The guy I bought it from says there is a lightweight flywheel in it already. Hopefully it will be ok with a single disc. I had a lightweight on my Integra, I know its night and day between the cars, but I got use to it very quickly. This extreme engagement right now is just way to much to take anymore.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:46 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I wouldn't put another ACT clutch in my EVO if it was free and ACT themselves were doing the job.

Thanks. I actually talked to my tuner after starting this thread and he is going to go with that clutch as well. I think I may go that route.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 01:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by gsrboi80

this times a million. I hate my ACT clutch,never again will i install one. Wish i would have went with the comp clutch
Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Both clutches are great. Setting your torque goals would be more beneficial when deciding your clutch. I have the HDSS and it is not violent or aggressive. Drives like stock.

Good luck with your decision.