Notices
Evo Engine / Turbo / Drivetrain Everything from engine management to the best clutch and flywheel.

Ticking noise 3000+ rpms

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2013, 07:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ticking noise 3000+ rpms

I know the Evo's have lifter tick that is a normal thing, but I have been having a nasty tick the last day or two. It all started after doing some spirited onramp driving, and then it started ticking right around 3000 rpms and got louder the higher the RPM's went. I didn't go more than about 4-4500 rpms.

I was worried that because of a high-G turn on an onramp like that, might have starved the engine of oil, causing the bearings to go.... but.

The motor doesn't tick when I "free rev" it in Neutral, and if it were a bearing, it would tick during free rev. So I can rule out bearings. I revved to 4000 rpms and no tick. I checked all of the exhaust bolts/nuts that were pre-turbo, and even tried to tighten them some more. They're all good.

Any opinions?
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolving Member

Bump
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolved Member

What clutch do you have?I had a similar sound and it was coming from bellhousing.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a similar problem with ticking when I shift and the revs drop. After searching around, everyone said that a leak on the manifold or turbo will cause a ticking sound which would make sense as the engine is under load and mine doesn't tick when free revving.
Old Mar 31, 2013, 05:48 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah, I JUST spotted the gasket about 2 mins ago. I was gonna post and say nvm. The gasket I ordered from MAP for when my shop did the turbo swap was apparently non OEM and junk. That gasket was new about a month and a half ago and blew right out. There's no gasket whatsoever between the turbo and manifold lol.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 08:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just bringing this back from the dead, I have a similar issue, but my gasket is currently in place.. any other ideas? My noise sounds like a little ball being shot around in the intake manifold.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 10:04 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOEvolved
Just bringing this back from the dead, I have a similar issue, but my gasket is currently in place.. any other ideas? My noise sounds like a little ball being shot around in the intake manifold.
Does it make noise in neutral? Free rev

Only other thing I can think about would be a noisy pcv valve. Or worst scenario a bearing has spun.

If you have a COP it's real easy to diag a failed bearing; not really possible with oem coils. Start by revving with all plugs connected, makes noise. Remove just #1 coil connector and thus removing load from that cylinder, if the noise goes away then the bearings in #1 are dead. Work down the line, cylinder by cylinder, til you figure which cylinder shows zero noise.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ReidFletcher
Does it make noise in neutral? Free rev

Only other thing I can think about would be a noisy pcv valve. Or worst scenario a bearing has spun.

If you have a COP it's real easy to diag a failed bearing; not really possible with oem coils. Start by revving with all plugs connected, makes noise. Remove just #1 coil connector and thus removing load from that cylinder, if the noise goes away then the bearings in #1 are dead. Work down the line, cylinder by cylinder, til you figure which cylinder shows zero noise.
Free rev, you can barley get it to make a noise.. neutral no the noise is not there. It sounds like a PCV valve that has lost its spring tension. I have no PCV valve, I have a catch can setup.

I don't think it is a bearing because the noise is pretty very difficult to replicate with just free rev, which is good, but I am still looking.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Gordian79
What clutch do you have?I had a similar sound and it was coming from bellhousing.
Stage 4 CC